Sessionography?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Sessionography?

Post by white man »

Combat Ready may help you with CR info

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

As I thought, there are some specific recording dates here, narrowing it down to the month they were recorded...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 11:11am
matedog wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 11:01am
I can get you the dates for Bankrobber. I just came across them recently for some reason.
You're a man of odd sexual proclivities but I respect your upfrontness. Godspeed.
Pants are back on, so my reference “The Complete Clash” says Bankrobber was recorded Feb 1 and 2, 1980 at Pluto Studio.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Return of Last Gang in Town says first Clash album was three consecutive thurs-Sunday sessions starting Feb 10, 1977 at CBS Studio 3.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Thank you for the info! It's a start.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Hammy
Dirty Punk

Post by Hammy »

So why is this stunning stuff – The Prisoner and Pressure Drop being recorded in March 78 when lesser material is being worked up for GEER in March 78
..what the fuck is going on with the selection (deadlines?)

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Hammy wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 3:34pm
So why is this stunning stuff – The Prisoner and Pressure Drop being recorded in March 78 when lesser material is being worked up for GEER in March 78
..what the fuck is going on with the selection (deadlines?)
What about White Man for that matter? I've always chalked it up to the fact that CBS wanted product to bridge the gap between LP #1 and LP #2.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Pressure Drop was first recorded in 1977. White Man was also a song from 1977. It was considered for GEER but they decided against rehashing an already released single. Singles were important then. The band wrote songs and recorded them for release, especially after Topper joined and they were progressing in confidence and complexity.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

It’s one thing I always give the band great credit for. It would have been so easy to fill out the album with the likes of White Man and Complete Control, especially as it was known that the writing for Geer was a slow and laboursome process. But they avoided the lazy option and left what is surely one of the greatest trails of stand alone 7” of any rock band ever.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Low Down Low wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 7:00pm
It’s one thing I always give the band great credit for. It would have been so easy to fill out the album with the likes of White Man and Complete Control, especially as it was known that the writing for Geer was a slow and laboursome process. But they avoided the lazy option and left what is surely one of the greatest trails of stand alone 7” of any rock band ever.
Kind of a forgotten thing - releasing standalone singles like that. It seemed like it used to be far more common. Look at The Jam, for instance: Strange Town, When You're Young, Going Underground, Absolute Beginners, and so on - all non-album singles. The Smiths were masters of doing just that. Panic, Ask, Shoplifters, Sheila - all non-album singles - all released consecutively between TQIS and SHWC.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 8:48pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Kind of a forgotten thing - releasing standalone singles like that. It seemed like it used to be far more common. Look at The Jam, for instance: Strange Town, When You're Young, Going Underground, Absolute Beginners, and so on - all non-album singles. The Smiths were masters of doing just that. Panic, Ask, Shoplifters, Sheila - all non-album singles - all released consecutively between TQIS and SHWC.
It was a lot more common yes but albums still needed singles to sell.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

WestwayKid wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
The Smiths did the same thing earlier in their career too with Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now, William it was Really Nothing and Shakespeares Sister (if you ignore that How Soon is Now was released after William when it was previously it's b-side)
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

WestwayKid wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Used to love that most of your favourite bands from the 1960's up to the late 1980s released 1 or even 2 singles before they brought out thier next album. Most non-album songs were always classic songs as well. Agreed kind of a forgotten thing now
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dirty Harry wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 5:02pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Used to love that most of your favourite bands from the 1960's up to the late 1980s released 1 or even 2 singles before they brought out thier next album. Most non-album songs were always classic songs as well. Agreed kind of a forgotten thing now
Presume it is because there is no money in singles?

matedog

Post by matedog »

I think the album format is dying and singles are on the way back. Streaming makes the album format a lot less relevant.