Any tracks Joe did NOT play on?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Any tracks Joe did NOT play on?

Post by Heston »

Dirty Harry wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 9:22am
Heston wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 2:25pm
Kory wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 2:01pm
WestwayKid wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 12:40pm
Just trying to get some fresh discussion going and I'm sure I could probably answer this myself with a little digging/thinking...but are there any tracks that are completely Joe-less?
Just off the top of my head: Inoculated City, probably, right?
It still bugs me that Mick did the three part harmony for this song, he had two other capable singers in Joe and Topper.
Agreed as I’m pretty sure Joe was singing inoculated city when they were playing it live in late 1981
He was, yeah. He would have nailed the lower register harmony. Added a bit toughness to it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Just trying to get some fresh discussion going and I'm sure I could probably answer this myself with a little digging/thinking...but are there any tracks that are completely Joe-less?
It still bugs me that Mick did the three part harmony for this song, he had two other capable singers in Joe and Topper.
Mick did that off and on, it seems. Stay Free is all Mick I believe, at least vocally. Somebody Got Murdered is like two Mick's and a Joe...I think? But then you have London Calling which has a ton of Joe/Mick shared vocals, usually double tracking the melody, but occasionally harmonizing (Clampdown is the first example that comes to mind).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

Heston wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 10:24am
Dirty Harry wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 9:22am
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Agreed as I’m pretty sure Joe was singing inoculated city when they were playing it live in late 1981
He was, yeah. He would have nailed the lower register harmony. Added a bit toughness to it.
I actually prefer the live version of the 'Up and At em' Bootleg to the Combat Rock version , Joe definetly gave it that more toughness
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Speaking of Inoculated City
Were the lyrics written by Mick? I thought those were Joe's, but i read somewhere that the music and lyrics were all Mick.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

daredevil wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 11:51am
Were the lyrics written by Mick? I thought those were Joe's, but i read somewhere that the music and lyrics were all Mick.
In my opinion - the lyrics are more Joe-like than Mick-like. I could be completely wrong, but they seem like something that would have come off of Joe's typewriter.

Also, I was just listening to the extended Rat Patrol version. Is Joe in the extended coda? It almost sounds like his voice mixed in with the commercials?? So hard to tell for sure - but listen right before the 2000 Flushes commercial. It sounds like someone is adding spoken word commentary...could be Mick...but really sounds like Joe.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

WestwayKid wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 7:06am
daredevil wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 9:10pm
Every Little Bit Hurts
Wasn't this just Mick and Topper?
I think so. Think it was just Mick, Topper, and Watt-Roy. Mickey Gallagher might also be on it...but I'm thinking it is completely Joe-less.
It was only released on the Broadway compilation as an 'unreleased track' should maybe be sitting on the bench here.

Heston

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 2:19pm
daredevil wrote:
In my opinion - the lyrics are more Joe-like than Mick-like. I could be completely wrong, but they seem like something that would have come off of Joe's typewriter.

Also, I was just listening to the extended Rat Patrol version. Is Joe in the extended coda? It almost sounds like his voice mixed in with the commercials?? So hard to tell for sure - but listen right before the 2000 Flushes commercial. It sounds like someone is adding spoken word commentary...could be Mick...but really sounds like Joe.
Yes, it's Joe garbling away. Will never understand why that ending was excised.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 5:11pm
WestwayKid wrote:
daredevil wrote:

Does he also do the “ten hut” at the beginning? I’ve always thought that was Joe.

Heston

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 5:25pm
Heston wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 5:11pm
WestwayKid wrote:
daredevil wrote:

Does he also do the “ten hut” at the beginning? I’ve always thought that was Joe.
Certainly sounds like him.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

WestwayKid wrote:
daredevil wrote:
Agree 100%. I couldn't find the article i read a long time ago, but I found this:
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=30612

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I’ve always liked this track...ever since I picked up CR on cassette as a kid back in the mid-80’s! Just seems so much like a Joe song - but Mick does a nice job on the vocal. I do agree with what others have said, however, would have sounded so much better as a duet between Mick and Joe. The adverts at the end are funny and crucial (in my opinion) to the song: which is about the absurdity of following orders. Love the juxtaposition of the militarism with the inane commercials and to have Joe rambling over the extended coda - man...just a crime to have it chopped. Wasn’t Mick responsible for the initial edit from 4 plus minutes down to 2 and a half?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

daredevil wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 5:49pm
WestwayKid wrote:
daredevil wrote:
Agree 100%. I couldn't find the article i read a long time ago, but I found this:
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=30612
I feel like Mick’s lyrics always tended to be more personal - things that were going on in his life: Train in Vain, Stay Free, I’m Not Down and so on. Joe was more about the statement and I think IC falls into the statement songs.

matedog

Post by matedog »

One epiphany I had from Route 19 was that Mick didn't write a lot of lyrics. Confirmed are: Janie Jones, 1, 2 Crush On You, Complete Control, Stay Free, Train in Vain, SISOSIG. A lot of Mick vocals are Joe lyrics which makes sense because the lyricist for Card Cheat certainly wasn't the same lyricist for BAD's catalog.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 6:07pm
One epiphany I had from Route 19 was that Mick didn't write a lot of lyrics. Confirmed are: Janie Jones, 1, 2 Crush On You, Complete Control, Stay Free, Train in Vain, SISOSIG. A lot of Mick vocals are Joe lyrics which makes sense because the lyricist for Card Cheat certainly wasn't the same lyricist for BAD's catalog.
That is very interesting, but makes sense. Not to take anything away from Mick. Just that Joe was the lyric guy and Mick was the music guy. Both amongst the very best at what they did. I could envision times where Joe could pick up something from Mick’s life...Stay Free, for instance...and put it into words. Almost like Joe was an interpreter for Mick and a lot of other people. Just a great team: one guy could write killer words and the other guy could write killer music. I love ‘em both.

matedog

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 6:52pm
matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 6:07pm
That is very interesting, but makes sense. Not to take anything away from Mick. Just that Joe was the lyric guy and Mick was the music guy. Both amongst the very best at what they did. I could envision times where Joe could pick up something from Mick’s life...Stay Free, for instance...and put it into words. Almost like Joe was an interpreter for Mick and a lot of other people. Just a great team: one guy could write killer words and the other guy could write killer music. I love ‘em both.
Sorry, I meant confirmed lyrics that Mick did write those songs I listed (Stay Free, for example). But Lost in the Supermarket, etc. are Joe lyrics.