This is Really Terrible

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Re: This is Really Terrible

Post by muppet hi fi »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 10:21pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 9:42pm
Just watched it again, still can't figure out why peeps dislike it with such a passion. Sure, the lead vocals are lame (is that Bob Weir singing?), but it just sounds like an average US bar band from 25 years ago playing a good song competently - not very exciting, but no jamming or mucking about. Why the hate?
For all the reasons you just listed!
So if the band jammed and fucked about and played it forever in true "jam band" fashion, would that make it better or worse? What if Mick Jones sang the song with the same band, the same take? Would that have any bearing on its "awfulness"?
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Kory wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 1:32pm
white man wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 1:08pm
That's what we in the UK call "piss poor"
That's a phrase in the states too, and wholly applicable here.

Sounds like a half-assed bar band. If they can play at RCMH, what's my deal?
Do you know how the phrase came about.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

muppet hi fi wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 10:29pm
101Walterton wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Just watched it again, still can't figure out why peeps dislike it with such a passion. Sure, the lead vocals are lame (is that Bob Weir singing?), but it just sounds like an average US bar band from 25 years ago playing a good song competently - not very exciting, but no jamming or mucking about. Why the hate?
So if the band jammed and fucked about and played it forever in true "jam band" fashion, would that make it better or worse? What if Mick Jones sang the song with the same band, the same take? Would that have any bearing on its "awfulness"?
Again, for me, it's just sort of a PTSD thing I get from anything associated with the Dead. Intellectually, I know this is neither better nor worse than any random cover band, but the association really tars it for me.

I know I sound like I'm not over it almost 30 years later (and I swear I really am, at least 99% of the time), but I moved to St. Louis my senior year in high school. All of the guys who harrassed me (sexually and otherwise) and generally made my life a living hell were huge deadheads.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Further, because that's the optimum position to watch their set?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Well I finally just watched it and almost made 1 minute, not my thing but some people like it. I happen to like Metal Machine Music and can listen to all 4 sides, most people hate that. To each his own, who knows maybe Bob Weir is a big Clash fan.

I learned a while ago to not come down on people who get off on music I don't like, especially if I don't know them, I don't know what their life is like, it may be totally shit and they saved up for 3 months just to go to see the Dead and had a great time sitting in the back row. If that is what give them pleasure who am I to judge.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

JennyB wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 10:32am
muppet hi fi wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 10:29pm
101Walterton wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Again, for me, it's just sort of a PTSD thing I get from anything associated with the Dead. Intellectually, I know this is neither better nor worse than any random cover band, but the association really tars it for me.

I know I sound like I'm not over it almost 30 years later (and I swear I really am, at least 99% of the time), but I moved to St. Louis my senior year in high school. All of the guys who harrassed me (sexually and otherwise) and generally made my life a living hell were huge deadheads.
I'm sorry, Jenny. Didn't mean to be harshing on you (or anyone). I was just coming at it from a purely musical standpoint. But I do hear you, re: fucking frat boy Deadheads (and pretend Bob Marley fans). But I will say that those fucks were often no more nasty, sexist, obnoxious and even violent as a lot of so called "punk rockers" that I met after the mid-80s or so. And a lot of that hardcore shit was, to me, equally boring and stagnant as the Dead and similar later "jam bands". But I do get what you're saying, even though I'll never experience such fuckery from a woman's perspective.

Peace, strength, calm and gentleness be with you, mate. :kiss:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
It's just so passionless. I'd rather hear a bad band fucking it up with a bit of attitude.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 8:00pm
It's just so passionless. I'd rather hear a bad band fucking it up with a bit of attitude.
Exactly. Jam bands are crappy in no small part because they're so cooooool about it. Hey, man, groove with us and our endless improv'ing. Fuck that shit sideways. I'll take aggressive incompetence every day over that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 8:12pm
Heston wrote:
Exactly. Jam bands are crappy in no small part because they're so cooooool about it. Hey, man, groove with us and our endless improv'ing. Fuck that shit sideways. I'll take aggressive incompetence every day over that.
What are your feelings on jazz and its improvisational nature? I think we've talked about this but I can't remember.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 8:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
What are your feelings on jazz and its improvisational nature? I think we've talked about this but I can't remember.
Not a jazz fan. It usually sounds too chaotic to me, making it impossible for me to follow. It always seems like it's meant for musicians.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 8:40pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Not a jazz fan. It usually sounds too chaotic to me, making it impossible for me to follow. It always seems like it's meant for musicians.
We're having a party and you're not invited.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 8:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 8:40pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
We're having a party and you're not invited.
A jazz party? I'm not sure I'm being punished by being excluded.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

As eumaas knows, the only jazz song I like is Jimmy Jazz.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Excellent point. "Jazz" is about as easy to classify and quantify as "rock" or "pop". Anyone who would lump early 20th century New Orleans "dixieland", mid-30s Ellington, mid-60s Coltrane and contemporary Zorn together has some hearing problems.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 10:43pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Excellent point. "Jazz" is about as easy to classify and quantify as "rock" or "pop". Anyone who would lump early 20th century New Orleans "dixieland", mid-30s Ellington, mid-60s Coltrane and contemporary Zorn together has some hearing problems.
Very true. There's plenty of people that love hard bop but would never listen to ragtime, or people that love free jazz but hate the big band sound. The major difference here is that so many people know a few rock subgenres, but could never name a jazz one.