The Clash: The B-Sides

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Clash: The B-Sides

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 4:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 3:57pm
matedog wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 3:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 2:36pm
matedog wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 11:05am

I remember reading that the b-side was just the audio of this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=weGEv_BhjNw

But it appears to be slightly different.

It's definitely not the Beaconsfield version:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaKfJTsgIQ8

Neither are the b-side version:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIho2POCBWc

But the promo video at the top is a lot closer than the Beaconsfield version, so I suspect it is a different take from that session. We do know they did multiple takes as there was that one alternate White Riot clip that showed up in that documentary recently. Of course I'm questioning Marky's take on Clash history which usually doesn't bode well for me...
OK so this has made me go back to all the versions I have and I can confirm that the B-side is not any of the Beaconsfield takes as I previously thought but is in fact the same version as the ST album version only allegedly in mono instead of stereo. My problem with this track is not which version it is or where it came from but the way it was marketed by CBS. Live in mono for the first time it states on the rear sleeve. So suggesting that the whole album was recorded live then overdubs were added. What this B-side is, is the same studio take in mono.
It's not the ST version either though. The drumming is very different and I suspect the "live" version is Topper, not Terry, as he's not opening his hi hats the way Terry does. The opening fill before the band goes into the riff is different too.
I will bow down to you technical know how regards to which drummer it may be. But it is definitely the album take I've had the tracks under spectral analysis and other than the couple of seconds guitar sound at the start of the B-side they are the same. This single was released when the band were on tour and they had no say in its release. Which would make it all the more surprising if it's Topoer on the kit.

The record label also states 'from the album The Clash'.
Vocals are a different take too as a more obvious distinction:
"Now I'm in the subway and I'm looking for the flat" - S/T
"Now I'm in the subway looking for the flat" - Remote Control b-side
Never noticed that. This is getting interesting. I'm going to have another listen.

OK it's sounds like the beaconsfield video shoot promo version with an alt. vocal take.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 4:14pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 2:36pm

OK so this has made me go back to all the versions I have and I can confirm that the B-side is not any of the Beaconsfield takes as I previously thought but is in fact the same version as the ST album version only allegedly in mono instead of stereo. My problem with this track is not which version it is or where it came from but the way it was marketed by CBS. Live in mono for the first time it states on the rear sleeve. So suggesting that the whole album was recorded live then overdubs were added. What this B-side is, is the same studio take in mono.
It's not the ST version either though. The drumming is very different and I suspect the "live" version is Topper, not Terry, as he's not opening his hi hats the way Terry does. The opening fill before the band goes into the riff is different too.
I will bow down to you technical know how regards to which drummer it may be. But it is definitely the album take I've had the tracks under spectral analysis and other than the couple of seconds guitar sound at the start of the B-side they are the same. This single was released when the band were on tour and they had no say in its release. Which would make it all the more surprising if it's Topoer on the kit.

Never noticed that. This is getting interesting. I'm going to have another listen.

OK it's sounds like the beaconsfield video shoot promo version with an alt. vocal take.
I think it's an entirely different take as the drum fills are a little different, but the general sound is most similar to the promo video.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 4:36pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:

I think it's an entirely different take as the drum fills are a little different, but the general sound is most similar to the promo video.
You could be correct matey. I guess we'll never know. I'm now keen to know if there are other takes. I assumed the Beaconsfield sessions were by Mickey Foote but the promo takes appear to be taken direct from Julien Temples video footage hence mono.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 5:06pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

You could be correct matey. I guess we'll never know. I'm now keen to know if there are other takes. I assumed the Beaconsfield sessions were by Mickey Foote but the promo takes appear to be taken direct from Julien Temples video footage hence mono.
Temple did the promo videos? I couldn't remember the story, but that does explain the mono source.

This is the snippet of the alt White Riot, so by all means alternate versions of London's Burning from the video shoot were made and still exist:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 5:12pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 5:06pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:

Temple did the promo videos? I couldn't remember the story, but that does explain the mono source.

This is the snippet of the alt White Riot, so by all means alternate versions of London's Burning from the video shoot were made and still exist:
Yeah Julien did the promos and he can be heard on the preamble chatter if memory serves.
I've got the White Riot with no backing vocals but it's quite distorted sound.

I'm sure Juliens got more stuff than has been released by the Clash and the Pistols.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 21 Nov 2017, 5:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

While we're at it what's the story behind Sex Mad War having more than one version.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chuck Mangione wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 5:44pm
While we're at it what's the story behind Sex Mad War having more than one version.
I only have the b-side and demo versions what other version is there?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 5:55pm
Chuck Mangione wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 5:44pm
I only have the b-side and demo versions what other version is there?
Yeah now, I'm mildly intrigued.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

http://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic.p ... war+lyrics Some confusion there about some of the lyrics. I'm only now figuring out Sex Mad Roar is the '84 demo version of Sex Mad War. Right? I just always remember the "going to the party...she's gone" version, not that Marky didn't do a splendid job at deciphering those lyrics.

Might have to relisten to all versions, seemed to have messed up the count.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Chuck Mangione wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 6:34pm
http://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic.p ... war+lyrics Some confusion there about some of the lyrics. I'm only now figuring out Sex Mad Roar is the '84 demo version of Sex Mad War. Right? I just always remember the "going to the party...she's gone" version, not that Marky didn't do a splendid job at deciphering those lyrics.

Might have to relisten to all versions, seemed to have messed up the count.
Sex Mad War was the original song, the "going to the party" version you're thinking of is probably the Give 'em Enough Dope/R-B Showdown 84 rendition from Oregon:

Sex Mad Roar and Do it Now were recorded in Munich in 1985. Pete and Nick are on it, not sure if Vince is.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Kory wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 11:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 10:13pm
Kory wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 9:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 9:08pm
Kory wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 8:50pm
I also like FNBIL. Again, Mick's guitar in it is the business.
I can't believe we used to go steady. :yuck:
You can't tell me that guitar sound isn't awesome! It's like the aural equivalent of exhaling pot smoke.
Maybe it's one of those things for musicians. :meh:
I can see thinking the groove is wooden and the "melody unimaginative," but the economy of Mick's playing—not coming in with his lead until 1:00 with that jarring chord—is badass.
I think FNB has a nice groove, but it suffers from the same thing as Atom Tan and Red Angel Dragnet — cool music, instrumentation and arrangement, but totally blah melody (if you want to call Paul's hilarious vocal part melodious).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 7:48pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

You can't tell me that guitar sound isn't awesome! It's like the aural equivalent of exhaling pot smoke.
I can see thinking the groove is wooden and the "melody unimaginative," but the economy of Mick's playing—not coming in with his lead until 1:00 with that jarring chord—is badass.
I think FNB has a nice groove, but it suffers from the same thing as Atom Tan and Red Angel Dragnet — cool music, instrumentation and arrangement, but totally blah melody (if you want to call Paul's hilarious vocal part melodious).
I like the music but the lyric is just meh.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Inder wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 7:48pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah, the Clash were always strong with vocal melodies then seemed to lose that after 1979. I love Sandinista but it is more groove/improvisation based. As an album, CtC is the vocal melody surprise seeing as Mick had left.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board