The Clash: The B-Sides

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Clash: The B-Sides

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 8:50pm
I also like FNBIL. Again, Mick's guitar in it is the business.
I can't believe we used to go steady. :yuck:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 9:08pm
Kory wrote:
You can't tell me that guitar sound isn't awesome! It's like the aural equivalent of exhaling pot smoke.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 9:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
You can't tell me that guitar sound isn't awesome! It's like the aural equivalent of exhaling pot smoke.
Maybe it's one of those things for musicians. :meh:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 10:13pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I can see thinking the groove is wooden and the "melody unimaginative," but the economy of Mick's playing—not coming in with his lead until 1:00 with that jarring chord—is badass.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Do The Cool Out and Justice Tonight/Kick It Over count in your B-side list Flex. As they are both brilliant.

Outside Broadcast is OK but Radio 5 is a load of crap.

I really like the rockier alt. version of Cool Confusion.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 3:54pm
Good discussion on the quality of B-sides by the band. They had a rep for releasing gold on both sides of the single, but that reputation probably stopped being earned partway through the band's tenure. Here's how I'd group the B-sides (and excluding songs that appeared on the Capital Radio and Cost of Living EPs or anything post-85) that didn't end up on their proper albums:

Great songs
City of the Dead
Jail Guitar Doors
The Prisoner
Pressure Drop
Armagideon Time
Radio Clash

Good songs
London's Burning (Live)
1-2 Crush on You
Radio One

Uh, whatever songs
Rockers Galore... UK Tour
The Magnificent Dance
Long Time Jerk
Do It Now

These songs are bad and should feel bad
Stop the World
First Night Back in London
Cool Confusion
Sex Mad War
One thing that's never been correct is that London's Burning Live/Mono. That version is the Beaconsfield take. If that is live then so is White Riot on the ST album.

Also if The Clash didn't want Remote Control released as a single then surely that goes for it's B-side. Especially as it's yet another track that was already on the album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 11:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 10:13pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I can see thinking the groove is wooden and the "melody unimaginative," but the economy of Mick's playing—not coming in with his lead until 1:00 with that jarring chord—is badass.
Concur. Always liked First Night. I think the groove is intentionally stiff and tense and I love Toppers odd drum pattern. And then Mick's guitar breaks the whole thing wide open with those major chords, licks and figures.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

This is a great thread. The trajectory of the Clash B-sides definitely seemed to tail off by the end - although I also liked First Night despite that plinky plonky synth stuff. It has an 'interesting' atmosphere and storyline and might have worked well done live e.g. merging into one of their reggae tunes.
The B-sides helped make the early singles such fantastic statements of intent, and were definitely some of the best songs they wrote - 1977, City of the Dead, Jail Guitar Doors, The Prisoner. They just HAD to be on their respective 7" and not album tracks (sorry to anyone who grew up with and loved the US 1st LP, or compilations)
Even what may have seemed like throwaway stuff like Pressure Drop and 1-2 Crush On You - which were after all backing two album tracks lifted as singles - were great. Some fine examples of Mick's trademark guitar sound here.
Armageddon Time and the dub versions on the 12" remain some of my favourite ever Clash tracks.
But after that, maybe it's a psychological thing with me but if the single was an album track, the B-side always seemed a bit of a filler. Dust off an outtake, or do a bit of a remix, and shove it on there, sort of thing.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 6:08pm
The way Joe's voice breaks on the second "run" is pleasing, could be classed as a sublime moment.
I agree.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 5:34pm
I can't be the only one who loves Long Time Jerk, can I?
No. I like it too.

Glad Flex put The Prisoner up there. It's in my top 10.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 12:40am

One thing that's never been correct is that London's Burning Live/Mono. That version is the Beaconsfield take. If that is live then so is White Riot on the ST album.
I remember reading that the b-side was just the audio of this:

But it appears to be slightly different.

It's definitely not the Beaconsfield version:

Neither are the b-side version:

But the promo video at the top is a lot closer than the Beaconsfield version, so I suspect it is a different take from that session. We do know they did multiple takes as there was that one alternate White Riot clip that showed up in that documentary recently. Of course I'm questioning Marky's take on Clash history which usually doesn't bode well for me...
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 11:05am
Marky Dread wrote:

But the promo video at the top is a lot closer than the Beaconsfield version, so I suspect it is a different take from that session. We do know they did multiple takes as there was that one alternate White Riot clip that showed up in that documentary recently. Of course I'm questioning Marky's take on Clash history which usually doesn't bode well for me...
OK so this has made me go back to all the versions I have and I can confirm that the B-side is not any of the Beaconsfield takes as I previously thought but is in fact the same version as the ST album version only allegedly in mono instead of stereo. My problem with this track is not which version it is or where it came from but the way it was marketed by CBS. Live in mono for the first time it states on the rear sleeve. So suggesting that the whole album was recorded live then overdubs were added. What this B-side is, is the same studio take in mono.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 2:36pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

OK so this has made me go back to all the versions I have and I can confirm that the B-side is not any of the Beaconsfield takes as I previously thought but is in fact the same version as the ST album version only allegedly in mono instead of stereo. My problem with this track is not which version it is or where it came from but the way it was marketed by CBS. Live in mono for the first time it states on the rear sleeve. So suggesting that the whole album was recorded live then overdubs were added. What this B-side is, is the same studio take in mono.
It's not the ST version either though. The drumming is very different and I suspect the "live" version is Topper, not Terry, as he's not opening his hi hats the way Terry does. The opening fill before the band goes into the riff is different too.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 3:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It's not the ST version either though. The drumming is very different and I suspect the "live" version is Topper, not Terry, as he's not opening his hi hats the way Terry does. The opening fill before the band goes into the riff is different too.
I will bow down to you technical know how regards to which drummer it may be. But it is definitely the album take I've had the tracks under spectral analysis and other than the couple of seconds guitar sound at the start of the B-side they are the same. This single was released when the band were on tour and they had no say in its release. Which would make it all the more surprising if it's Topoer on the kit.

The record label also states 'from the album The Clash'.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 3:57pm
matedog wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 3:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=weGEv_BhjNw

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaKfJTsgIQ8

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIho2POCBWc

I will bow down to you technical know how regards to which drummer it may be. But it is definitely the album take I've had the tracks under spectral analysis and other than the couple of seconds guitar sound at the start of the B-side they are the same. This single was released when the band were on tour and they had no say in its release. Which would make it all the more surprising if it's Topoer on the kit.

The record label also states 'from the album The Clash'.
Vocals are a different take too as a more obvious distinction:
"Now I'm in the subway and I'm looking for the flat" - S/T
"Now I'm in the subway looking for the flat" - Remote Control b-side