The Clash: UK versus US version - thoughts?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
lastgang
Corner Soul

Re: The Clash: UK versus US version - thoughts?

Post by lastgang »

I purchased the US version of the first lp on sale because the free single was missing. I was 13 when it came out and was a great way to hear the singles that were on the US version and was my gateway to the Clash. I had the green sleeve version. When I moved to Canada in 1981 I purchased the blue sleeve with free single. My friend has the original Clash lp- and I felt cheated that it had a different tracks-so much so that I bought it as well.

I regard them as two separate beasts at the time-both had their merits. The UK original is a snapshot of a specific time. The US release is a great sampler of the band that collects all the singles and 2/3 of Cost of Living EP.

However, the songs that were omitted, bar White Riot, were the least strong on the original and replacing them was no big deal. Aside from 48 hours who really misses Deny and Cheat. This was intended for US audiences who had purchased the original on import -and who needs an incentive to buy it again namely with all the intervening UK singles.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

lastgang wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 9:35am
I purchased the US version of the first lp on sale because the free single was missing. I was 13 when it came out and was a great way to hear the singles that were on the US version and was my gateway to the Clash. I had the green sleeve version. When I moved to Canada in 1981 I purchased the blue sleeve with free single. My friend has the original Clash lp- and I felt cheated that it had a different tracks-so much so that I bought it as well.

I regard them as two separate beasts at the time-both had their merits. The UK original is a snapshot of a specific time. The US release is a great sampler of the band that collects all the singles and 2/3 of Cost of Living EP.

However, the songs that were omitted, bar White Riot, were the least strong on the original and replacing them was no big deal. Aside from 48 hours who really misses Deny and Cheat. This was intended for US audiences who had purchased the original on import -and who needs an incentive to buy it again namely with all the intervening UK singles.
Exactly so you didn't need those tracks again. They should've released a comp of all the singles A's and B's up 'til that point to put with your import Not force people to buy the same tracks again just to get those singles

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

lastgang
Corner Soul

Post by lastgang »

A straight singles comp like the original Black Market Clash 10" would have been great.
White Man/The Prisoner
Complete Control/City of the Dead
Clash City Rockers/Jail Guitar Doors
Live London's Burning
Original White Riot/1977
Tommy Gun/1-2 Crush
English Civil War-Pressure Drop
Cost of Living-but with original Capital Radio.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

lastgang wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 10:40am
A straight singles comp like the original Black Market Clash 10" would have been great.
White Man/The Prisoner
Complete Control/City of the Dead
Clash City Rockers/Jail Guitar Doors
Live London's Burning
Original White Riot/1977
Tommy Gun/1-2 Crush
English Civil War-Pressure Drop
Cost of Living-but with original Capital Radio.
Yep and I don't think many would argue that it would've been their greatest release.

They should've released that US version in a different design sleeve with a different title and not call it The Clash. Or just keep the album the same as the UK release and issue the singles separately. It was a con really the record company knew only too well that fans want to own everything and would also want those omitted tracks.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia