Cut The Crap

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Cut The Crap

Post by white man »

Ok. Lets imagine The Clash had decided to call it a day shortly after Micks departure.
Joe hires a few hands and gets Simmo on Bass duties and voila we have CtC as Joe's first solo album.
Now then, would the album be more palatable as a decent first try as a solo artist or are we just outraged that the The Clash's good name is tarnished by their 6th album.
Or is it just shit ,fullstop.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Cut The Crap

Post by coffeepotman »

it is just shit ,fullstop.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Then Joe's shitty first album would have been different than the actual shitty first album.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

As Doc said if Joe recorded it it would sound nothing like CTC. And yes it could only sound better.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Earthquake Weather is quite badly produced but I still wouldn't mind hearing Cut the Crap with a Shouting Street-style production. It would really work for tracks like Movers and Shakers.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 5:29pm
As Doc said if Joe recorded it it would sound nothing like CTC. And yes it could only sound better.
I ain't fer it, I'm agin it!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Sex Mad Roar and Do It Now would be how the rest of the album sounded. Weren't these produced by Joe and Nick?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

daredevil wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 6:40pm
Sex Mad Roar and Do It Now would be how the rest of the album sounded. Weren't these produced by Joe and Nick?
Even those two tracks sound lifeless compared to what came before.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

shit fullstop - it has nothing in common with Earthquake Weather from a quality standpoint

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I tried to like CTC, really did, EQ I just gave up on after first listen. Still return to it and there is some good songs, never return to CTC.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

coffeepotman wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 8:31am
I tried to like CTC, really did, EQ I just gave up on after first listen. Still return to it and there is some good songs, never return to CTC.
I think we all tried to like it. I know I did, but it is simply so awful that I'd prefer to forget it. I don't hate EW with that same passion - in fact, I think there are some good moments and every now and then I'll put it on.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

drowninghere wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 11:29pm
shit fullstop - it has nothing in common with Earthquake Weather from a quality standpoint
With you on this. They are at opposite ends of the spectrum, aesthetically wise for me. CtC is a full stop, the end of the line for a once great band who cant in all seriousness sink any lower while EW, for all its flaws, sprinkles with potential, is suggestive of a future direction that, with a few tweaks here and there, will pay dividends. Just a shame that it would take another decade for it to be realised.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Low Down Low wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 10:58am
drowninghere wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 11:29pm
With you on this. They are at opposite ends of the spectrum, aesthetically wise for me. CtC is a full stop, the end of the line for a once great band who cant in all seriousness sink any lower while EW, for all its flaws, sprinkles with potential, is suggestive of a future direction that, with a few tweaks here and there, will pay dividends. Just a shame that it would take another decade for it to be realised.
Well said. CtC really has no redeeming value. EW at least saw Joe taking that first step forward.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

daredevil wrote:
Still Joe and Bernie, just allowed Pete to finally play and then gave him the worst drum sound ever.

I'm okay with how things worked out because for me, the November 83 demos and the live takes show that the songs weren't very good. Dictator is only interesting in its shitshow clown orgy arrangement on the album. Dirty Punk, We Are the Clash, Cool Under Heat are all mediocre in any form. The four on the floor rage rock of Three Card live isn't quite as effective in its ska arrangement on the album (that they carried into 85), but it's still pretty fun. Are You Ready is marginally better live, as is This Is England. In the end, we are talking about a handful of good songs that would make for an album slightly better than Earthquake Weather for me.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 11:32am
daredevil wrote:
Still Joe and Bernie, just allowed Pete to finally play and then gave him the worst drum sound ever.

I'm okay with how things worked out because for me, the November 83 demos and the live takes show that the songs weren't very good. Dictator is only interesting in its shitshow clown orgy arrangement on the album. Dirty Punk, We Are the Clash, Cool Under Heat are all mediocre in any form. The four on the floor rage rock of Three Card live isn't quite as effective in its ska arrangement on the album (that they carried into 85), but it's still pretty fun. Are You Ready is marginally better live, as is This Is England. In the end, we are talking about a handful of good songs that would make for an album slightly better than Earthquake Weather for me.
:lol:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board