Best side of Sandinista!....

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Best side of Sandinista!....

Post by Flex »

Sides 3 & 4 are absurdly good.

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 9:14pm
Low Down Low wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 11:25am
That's very true about Sides Five and Six but in another way I never really understood the harsher criticisms of S! among the music press because whatever way you spin it, there's still two albums worth of serious material there. They could have released a great double or killer single album and being likely fawned over, instead they throw in the odd duff track and get widely slaughtered for it. As I think Joe himself said or words thereof, no need to sweat it. Just skip to the tracks you like and where's the problem?
But remember it was pre shuffle / skip track back then 😀
True that!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 11:45am
Sides 3 & 4 are absurdly good.

I was just coming to post this as my favorite order. As for first thoughts, I was firmly entrenched in adolescent punk elitism mode, so while I liked Mag7, Shitsville and Rebel Waltz were particularly baffling. I didn't try it again for about 9 months, at which point I had been listening to Combat Rock, which had primed me to go back to weirder stuff.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

CK had that great cartoon in Showdown — two confused mohawked punks, "Maybe the band is called Sandinista and the album is called The Clash?"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Inder wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 1:53pm
CK had that great cartoon in Showdown — two confused mohawked punks, "Maybe the band is called Sandinista and the album is called The Clash?"
Classic!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 2:14pm
Inder wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 1:53pm
Classic!
Excellent! I never had to face that dilemma as S! was my first taste of Clash and I was willing to gobble anything. I'd adopted them like my favourite football team, total devotion and devoid of any critical nuance.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

While we're on Sandinista, this is a nice write up (though I somewhat disagree with the writer's opinions on early Clash reggae): http://www.redwedgemagazine.com/comment ... sciousness

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

msza2 wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 2:31pm
While we're on Sandinista, this is a nice write up (though I somewhat disagree with the writer's opinions on early Clash reggae): http://www.redwedgemagazine.com/comment ... sciousness
A pretty funny article, because there's no way the band thought that deeply about any of it. Also, the writer forgot that Armagideon Time exists.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Kory wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 2:44pm
msza2 wrote:
A pretty funny article, because there's no way the band thought that deeply about any of it. Also, the writer forgot that Armagideon Time exists.
Ha, true. He definitely overreaches with his thesis but he makes me want to put the record on, which is some sort of achievement, right?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

msza2 wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 2:49pm
Kory wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 2:44pm
msza2 wrote:
Ha, true. He definitely overreaches with his thesis but he makes me want to put the record on, which is some sort of achievement, right?
Yup, anything that inspires further listening is a triumph, I think. It's at least a different lens to look at the album through which might bring greater personal understanding, so why not write more about it?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I love it all. Like any record by anybody you can take or leave what you are in the mood for. As fot the pre CD days without skipping and programing I bet there are very few who bought vinyl that didn't put their faves on a cassette.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 8:11pm
I love it all. Like any record by anybody you can take or leave what you are in the mood for. As fot the pre CD days without skipping and programing I bet there are very few who bought vinyl that didn't put their faves on a cassette.
Didn't the band have some beef with the record company over stores offering to tape selected songs from S! at a reduced price? Something to do with the Home Taping Is Killing Music label or something like that, sketchy on the details.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 9:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Didn't the band have some beef with the record company over stores offering to tape selected songs from S! at a reduced price? Something to do with the Home Taping Is Killing Music label or something like that, sketchy on the details.
That sounds like something they would advocate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 9:21pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Yes, I should point out it was the record co what was agin it. I think its covered in LGIT but dont have a copy to hand right now.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 9:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 9:21pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Yes, I should point out it was the record co what was agin it. I think its covered in LGIT but dont have a copy to hand right now.
That was for Combat Rock. They recalled some copies and had it removed, saying, "We don't care how many people tape our music."
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board