Best side of Sandinista!....

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
daveddd111
Corner Soul
Posts: 20
Joined: 22 May 2011, 9:44am

Best side of Sandinista!....

Post by daveddd111 » 05 Nov 2017, 3:03am

....and what were your initial thoughts when you were 3-4 tracks in the first time you heard it?

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26072
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Best side of Sandinista!....

Post by Heston » 05 Nov 2017, 6:06am

Side 3

"I need some weed"
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1163
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: Best side of Sandinista!....

Post by Low Down Low » 05 Nov 2017, 6:48am

4, 1, 3, 2, 5, 6

"Fuck me, this is going to leave London Calling in the shade!"

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26072
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Best side of Sandinista!....

Post by Heston » 05 Nov 2017, 8:49am

3,4,1,2,5,6

If they'd squeezed sides 5 and 6 into one side it would have been perfect.
That side would have contained...

Charlie
Kingston
Street Parade
Version City
Living In Fame
Shepherds Delight

I love Lose This Skin but I think it would have been better off somewhere else.

That last side was just a stretch too far.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12588
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Best side of Sandinista!....

Post by Silent Majority » 05 Nov 2017, 11:22am

Disc 1.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1163
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: Best side of Sandinista!....

Post by Low Down Low » 05 Nov 2017, 11:25am

That's very true about Sides Five and Six but in another way I never really understood the harsher criticisms of S! among the music press because whatever way you spin it, there's still two albums worth of serious material there. They could have released a great double or killer single album and being likely fawned over, instead they throw in the odd duff track and get widely slaughtered for it. As I think Joe himself said or words thereof, no need to sweat it. Just skip to the tracks you like and where's the problem?

msza2
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 169
Joined: 22 Aug 2012, 2:15pm

Re: Best side of Sandinista!....

Post by msza2 » 05 Nov 2017, 11:52am

4, 3, 2, 1, 5, 6.

That was hard. I really like Side 5. The others just don't have anything as bad as Mensforth Hill.

As for initial thoughts . . . I got S! for Christmas when I was 20 or so. We put it in the (multi disc) CD player and when Hitsville came on I literally thought the CD player had shuffled to some Christmas album :lol:

aza
Dirty Punk
Posts: 70
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 5:40pm

Re: Best side of Sandinista!....

Post by aza » 05 Nov 2017, 12:06pm

easy. every side is the best.

Toppers Boppers
User avatar
Dirty Punk
Posts: 131
Joined: 18 Nov 2009, 5:52am
Location: Gates Of The West (country)

Re: Best side of Sandinista!....

Post by Toppers Boppers » 05 Nov 2017, 1:47pm

daveddd111 wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 3:03am
....and what were your initial thoughts when you were 3-4 tracks in the first time you heard it?
Side 2

"VFM" + "Weird" + "Dumbstruck" + "WTF!!"

Bought it on release day, at the Woolies discounted price of £3.99.
'On the tenterhooks of a Cincinnati.'

coffeepotman
Junco Partner
Posts: 471
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: Best side of Sandinista!....

Post by coffeepotman » 05 Nov 2017, 2:17pm

Bought it on release day, I can't say what my favorite is because they are all great, I do remember being mesmerized by 5 and 6 though.

WestwayKid
User avatar
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 173
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am

Re: Best side of Sandinista!....

Post by WestwayKid » 05 Nov 2017, 2:30pm

How about this? If you had to cut S! down to a double LP - what would your track listing be? You have 4 sides to work with - roughly 23-24 minutes per side.

Personally, I would us sides 1, 2, 3 and 4 as a starting point and set aside all of 5 and 6.

I'd probably drop all of side 6 and leave the dub versions for b-sides.

I'd rescue Charlie Don't Surf from side 5 - just not sure what I'd bump to make room for it. I'd probably excise One More Dub from side 2.

What else would you "save" from side 5? Street Parade?

There is definitely a GREAT double in their - going for 3 sides was a step too far and if my memory serves me right - was an attempt to deliver one more LP to CBS per their botched contract with the band.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14792
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Best side of Sandinista!....

Post by 101Walterton » 05 Nov 2017, 9:14pm

Low Down Low wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 11:25am
That's very true about Sides Five and Six but in another way I never really understood the harsher criticisms of S! among the music press because whatever way you spin it, there's still two albums worth of serious material there. They could have released a great double or killer single album and being likely fawned over, instead they throw in the odd duff track and get widely slaughtered for it. As I think Joe himself said or words thereof, no need to sweat it. Just skip to the tracks you like and where's the problem?
But remember it was pre shuffle / skip track back then 😀

gkbill
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1118
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 9:21pm

Re: Best side of Sandinista!....

Post by gkbill » 06 Nov 2017, 12:43am

101Walterton wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 9:14pm
Low Down Low wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 11:25am
That's very true about Sides Five and Six but in another way I never really understood the harsher criticisms of S! among the music press because whatever way you spin it, there's still two albums worth of serious material there. They could have released a great double or killer single album and being likely fawned over, instead they throw in the odd duff track and get widely slaughtered for it. As I think Joe himself said or words thereof, no need to sweat it. Just skip to the tracks you like and where's the problem?
But remember it was pre shuffle / skip track back then 😀
Hello,

As an older person on the board, I remember once you dropped the needle, you were listening to that side.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14792
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Best side of Sandinista!....

Post by 101Walterton » 06 Nov 2017, 12:52am

gkbill wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 12:43am
101Walterton wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 9:14pm
Low Down Low wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 11:25am
That's very true about Sides Five and Six but in another way I never really understood the harsher criticisms of S! among the music press because whatever way you spin it, there's still two albums worth of serious material there. They could have released a great double or killer single album and being likely fawned over, instead they throw in the odd duff track and get widely slaughtered for it. As I think Joe himself said or words thereof, no need to sweat it. Just skip to the tracks you like and where's the problem?
But remember it was pre shuffle / skip track back then 😀
Hello,

As an older person on the board, I remember once you dropped the needle, you were listening to that side.
Yep and in the order intended, no shuffle or program!!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49219
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Best side of Sandinista!....

Post by Wolter » 06 Nov 2017, 1:11am

3

I didn't know what to think 4 songs in. I know I didn't care for it much at the end of the first full listen (which was on a used cassette). It took getting it on vinyl for me to truly appreciate it.

I think my order of favorites is the same as Heston (3,4,1,2,5,6). I'd say my disc preference is solidly 3,2,1, BUT 3&4 and 1&2 are of such similar quality to each other that I could probably have said 4,3,2,1,5,6 on another day. If that makes sense.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests