Best Remote Control

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!

Which is the best version?

First album version
12
67%
Vanilla Tapes version
6
33%
 
Total votes: 18

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12603
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Best Remote Control

Post by Silent Majority » 02 Nov 2017, 7:09pm

Fuck you, Huggy Bear
Telly Savalas was beat by a doll
I hate NBC
And the sound of muscle shoals
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35481
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Best Remote Control

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Nov 2017, 7:19pm

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 7:09pm
Fuck you, Huggy Bear
Telly Savalas was beat by a doll
I hate NBC
And the sound of muscle shoals
4 songs CBS refused to release for some reason. :mrgreen:
Image
Image

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4212
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: Best Remote Control

Post by muppet hi fi » 02 Nov 2017, 7:48pm

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:19pm
My question is if not RC then what other track do you think would've made a good single.
"Janie Jones", pretty obvious to me. Eddie Cochran with distortion, what more do ya want?

And then peeps buy the album and - oh boy, these homies got something to say. But to get hooked in with a song about girls, real day to day "polytricks" and current pop culture, hey - can't go wrong there.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26128
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Best Remote Control

Post by Heston » 02 Nov 2017, 8:26pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 7:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:19pm
My question is if not RC then what other track do you think would've made a good single.
"Janie Jones", pretty obvious to me. Eddie Cochran with distortion, what more do ya want?

And then peeps buy the album and - oh boy, these homies got something to say. But to get hooked in with a song about girls, real day to day "polytricks" and current pop culture, hey - can't go wrong there.
JJ was earmarked as the next single by the band if I'm not mistaken.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35481
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Best Remote Control

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Nov 2017, 8:34pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 7:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:19pm
My question is if not RC then what other track do you think would've made a good single.
"Janie Jones", pretty obvious to me. Eddie Cochran with distortion, what more do ya want?

And then peeps buy the album and - oh boy, these homies got something to say. But to get hooked in with a song about girls, real day to day "polytricks" and current pop culture, hey - can't go wrong there.
Agreed JJ is a great track mate. However I'm thinking it's 1977 JJ (Marion Mitchell) was still fresh in some peoples memory for her sex parties and 'controlling prostitutes' and how the record company might react to a song about a high classed madam. Wouldn't even surprise if some well known faces at CBS attended those parties (ooh playing devil's advocate) feels good some days. ;)
Image
Image

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1194
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: Best Remote Control

Post by Low Down Low » 02 Nov 2017, 8:35pm

I think Bored would have been good, but always liked the idea of non-album singles so my choice would have been Capital Radio though not sure CBS would have been down with that either.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26128
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Best Remote Control

Post by Heston » 02 Nov 2017, 8:37pm

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:19pm
Not really a fair comparison.
I know, one is a half-arsed run through, but Rattie seemed to think I was crazy for preferring the s/t version. I was trying to make the point that Hoyston isn't always wrong by default.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35481
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Best Remote Control

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Nov 2017, 8:38pm

Heston wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:26pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 7:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:19pm
My question is if not RC then what other track do you think would've made a good single.
"Janie Jones", pretty obvious to me. Eddie Cochran with distortion, what more do ya want?

And then peeps buy the album and - oh boy, these homies got something to say. But to get hooked in with a song about girls, real day to day "polytricks" and current pop culture, hey - can't go wrong there.
JJ was earmarked as the next single by the band if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah I think so mate. Couldn't see it getting a release though.
Image
Image

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12603
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Best Remote Control

Post by Silent Majority » 02 Nov 2017, 8:40pm

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:38pm
Heston wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:26pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 7:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:19pm
My question is if not RC then what other track do you think would've made a good single.
"Janie Jones", pretty obvious to me. Eddie Cochran with distortion, what more do ya want?

And then peeps buy the album and - oh boy, these homies got something to say. But to get hooked in with a song about girls, real day to day "polytricks" and current pop culture, hey - can't go wrong there.
JJ was earmarked as the next single by the band if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah I think so mate. Couldn't see it getting a release though.
God Save the Queen got to number one (aside from chart trickery by the establishment), I think just invoking the name of Janie Jones, high class pimpette, would have been okay.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26128
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Best Remote Control

Post by Heston » 02 Nov 2017, 8:46pm

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:19pm
Here's another point to discuss. The band didn't want CBS to release the single because they had already released "White Riot" however the single version of WR is not on the album when it came from the same sessions and maybe it should've been. Perhaps the Beaconsfield version should've been the single as a lot of folks prefer that. I prefer the single with the sirens.
Good point. I much prefer the Beaconsfield version so could have lived with that being the single. Then the album would have had a more uniform sound.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4212
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: Best Remote Control

Post by muppet hi fi » 02 Nov 2017, 8:54pm

Heston wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:19pm
Here's another point to discuss. The band didn't want CBS to release the single because they had already released "White Riot" however the single version of WR is not on the album when it came from the same sessions and maybe it should've been. Perhaps the Beaconsfield version should've been the single as a lot of folks prefer that. I prefer the single with the sirens.
Good point. I much prefer the Beaconsfield version so could have lived with that being the single. Then the album would have had a more uniform sound.
Yeah. I remember getting the import s/t in late '77 and, having read about "White Riot", thought it was a beast, all it was cracked up to be. Imagine my surprise when I got the 45 a year later and thought it was, as you Brits might say, a bit twee. (although I love the handclaps and Pauls walking bassline, which he never seemed to play live, maybe cause the band played it too bloody fast. Fucking Topper! :mrgreen: ).

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26128
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Best Remote Control

Post by Heston » 02 Nov 2017, 8:57pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:54pm
Heston wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:19pm
Here's another point to discuss. The band didn't want CBS to release the single because they had already released "White Riot" however the single version of WR is not on the album when it came from the same sessions and maybe it should've been. Perhaps the Beaconsfield version should've been the single as a lot of folks prefer that. I prefer the single with the sirens.
Good point. I much prefer the Beaconsfield version so could have lived with that being the single. Then the album would have had a more uniform sound.
Yeah. I remember getting the import s/t in late '77 and, having read about "White Riot", thought it was a beast, all it was cracked up to be. Imagine my surprise when I got the 45 a year later and thought it was, as you Brits might say, a bit twee. (although I love the handclaps and Pauls walking bassline, which he never seemed to play live, maybe cause the band played it too bloody fast. Fucking Topper! :mrgreen: ).
Yeah, the single version is just too nice.

I actually think White Riot is the best sounding song on the first album, everything should have sounded like this, raw as hell and urgent as fuck.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35481
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Best Remote Control

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Nov 2017, 9:00pm

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:38pm
Heston wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:26pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 7:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:19pm
My question is if not RC then what other track do you think would've made a good single.
"Janie Jones", pretty obvious to me. Eddie Cochran with distortion, what more do ya want?

And then peeps buy the album and - oh boy, these homies got something to say. But to get hooked in with a song about girls, real day to day "polytricks" and current pop culture, hey - can't go wrong there.
JJ was earmarked as the next single by the band if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah I think so mate. Couldn't see it getting a release though.
God Save the Queen got to number one (aside from chart trickery by the establishment), I think just invoking the name of Janie Jones, high class pimpette, would have been okay.
He is love with getting stoned woaaah! I doubt the radio would play it. They didn't want GStQ on the radio either Peel played it late at night and it was discussed on Brian Wolf's Open Line radio program. So I expect CBS who were not one for getting their fingers burned would've wanted it. Of course this is pure conjecture on my part.
Image
Image

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12603
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Best Remote Control

Post by Silent Majority » 02 Nov 2017, 9:13pm

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:00pm
Silent Majority wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:38pm
Heston wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:26pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 7:48pm

"Janie Jones", pretty obvious to me. Eddie Cochran with distortion, what more do ya want?

And then peeps buy the album and - oh boy, these homies got something to say. But to get hooked in with a song about girls, real day to day "polytricks" and current pop culture, hey - can't go wrong there.
JJ was earmarked as the next single by the band if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah I think so mate. Couldn't see it getting a release though.
God Save the Queen got to number one (aside from chart trickery by the establishment), I think just invoking the name of Janie Jones, high class pimpette, would have been okay.
He is love with getting stoned woaaah! I doubt the radio would play it. They didn't want GStQ on the radio either Peel played it late at night and it was discussed on Brian Wolf's Open Line radio program. So I expect CBS who were not one for getting their fingers burned would've wanted it. Of course this is pure conjecture on my part.
Yeah, I guess that Sunday Morning Coming Down and Eight Miles High were less contentious because they didn't come from those spotty little punk rocker herberts.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35481
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Best Remote Control

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Nov 2017, 9:21pm

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:00pm
Silent Majority wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:38pm
Heston wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 8:26pm


JJ was earmarked as the next single by the band if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah I think so mate. Couldn't see it getting a release though.
God Save the Queen got to number one (aside from chart trickery by the establishment), I think just invoking the name of Janie Jones, high class pimpette, would have been okay.
He is love with getting stoned woaaah! I doubt the radio would play it. They didn't want GStQ on the radio either Peel played it late at night and it was discussed on Brian Wolf's Open Line radio program. So I expect CBS who were not one for getting their fingers burned would've wanted it. Of course this is pure conjecture on my part.
Yeah, I guess that Sunday Morning Coming Down and Eight Miles High were less contentious because they didn't come from those spotty little punk rocker herberts.
Hey the BBC banned Space Oddity. So who knows but if something was current news that could offend then the Beeb in their holier than thou wisdom would ban it. If you brought attention to yourselves like the Pistols then you were sure to be banned until the dust settled. "All over news, spread fast. They're dirty, they're filthy. They ain't a gonna last".
Image
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests