Best Remote Control

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!

Which is the best version?

First album version
67%
Vanilla Tapes version
33%

Total votes: 18

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Best Remote Control

Post by Heston » 01 Nov 2017, 2:19pm

As per the other thread, I'm asking which is the best version. The drums may be slightly better in the Vanilla version but everything else about the s/t version is better for me, especially the lead guitar and singing.

So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Best Remote Control

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Nov 2017, 2:25pm

The people of the great city of Justinville proudly cast their vote for the s/t version in this historic poll: It will the first time Heston has initiated a poll where he will be with the majority. God bless the Clash and God bless IMCT!
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex » 01 Nov 2017, 2:31pm

S/T is obviously the best, but I think the Vanilla Tapes version hints at what could have been a definitive take if properly recorded in a studio and with the intention of commercial release.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston » 01 Nov 2017, 2:42pm

Flex wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 2:31pm
S/T is obviously the best
Thank you.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol » 01 Nov 2017, 2:47pm

Vanilla Tapes...and it's not even close. Much richer arrangement, more mature vocal take...fully three-dimensional whereas the original was not exactly one of s/t's better recorded efforts (live it killed pretty much from Day 1). As stratospheric an improvement over the original as Cap Radio 2 if they'd run with it and done a formal take.

JennyB
Clash Cuck

Post by JennyB » 01 Nov 2017, 2:59pm

S/T FFS.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Heston

Post by Heston » 01 Nov 2017, 3:11pm

Rat Patrol wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 2:47pm
the original was not exactly one of s/t's better recorded efforts
Sounded like everything else on the album to me apart from White Riot which was obviously recorded at different sessions. Mick's guitar just rips on the s/t version, he doesn't even get close to anything as good on Vanilla. Probably his best lead vocal on the album too.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff » 01 Nov 2017, 3:51pm

Where's the Meadowlark Lemon option?
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Nov 2017, 4:20pm

Spiff wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 3:51pm
Where's the Meadowlark Lemon option?
Limeys don't have Meadowlark Lemon. It'd be, like, Nigel Clivingtonshire.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton » 01 Nov 2017, 4:23pm

This is like choosing between your children!!
They are different but they each have their own qualities.

Heston

Post by Heston » 01 Nov 2017, 4:43pm

101Walterton wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 4:23pm
This is what I find crazy. The Vanilla version seems like a rough retread with botched lyrics, inaudible vocals, sloppy guitar playing and a terrible mix. Not to mention one of Mick's best ever solos is excised. Yet people are talking like it's up there with the pretty much perfect s/t version. Each to their own and all that but this one just leaves me bemused.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen

Post by Wolter » 01 Nov 2017, 4:59pm

Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 4:43pm
101Walterton wrote:
This is what I find crazy. The Vanilla version seems like a rough retread with botched lyrics, inaudible vocals, sloppy guitar playing and a terrible mix. Not to mention one of Mick's best ever solos is excised. Yet people are talking like it's up there with the pretty much perfect s/t version. Each to their own and all that but this one just leaves me bemused.
I find it weird to agree with you, but I do.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston » 01 Nov 2017, 5:13pm

Wolter wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 4:59pm
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Thank god, I thought I was going crazy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Nov 2017, 5:19pm

Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 5:13pm
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
You're finally going to win one of these polls, amigo!

Heston

Post by Heston » 01 Nov 2017, 5:21pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 5:19pm
Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 5:13pm
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
You're finally going to win one of these polls, amigo!
Didn't even need the Black Diamond option to divide the vote and confuse matters, it looks like a landslide.