Clashing again

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7976
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: Clashing again

Post by Inder » 01 Nov 2017, 9:51pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 9:41pm
101Walterton wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 2:21pm
The Clash are so ingrained in my DNA that when I am out and about if a Clash song comes on in a bar etc.. I look around to see who put it on presuming that it is for me.
I don't get out and about too much these days, but I hear what you're saying, Wally. When a Clash tune shows on the telly or in the pub or wherever I always find myself checking the faces and body language of those around me. Their stuff still seems so contemporary and, dare I say it - relevant.
I heard Overpowered By Funk at a club a few months ago. Now that was unexpected.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4210
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: Clashing again

Post by muppet hi fi » 01 Nov 2017, 10:11pm

Inder wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 9:51pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 9:41pm
101Walterton wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 2:21pm
The Clash are so ingrained in my DNA that when I am out and about if a Clash song comes on in a bar etc.. I look around to see who put it on presuming that it is for me.
I don't get out and about too much these days, but I hear what you're saying, Wally. When a Clash tune shows on the telly or in the pub or wherever I always find myself checking the faces and body language of those around me. Their stuff still seems so contemporary and, dare I say it - relevant.
I heard Overpowered By Funk at a club a few months ago. Now that was unexpected.
Yeah mate, that must have been odd. You usually only hear the four or five famous songs in the public forum, not so much "deep cuts". Were you able to clock the reactions of the other patrons?

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22600
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: Carrboro/Alamut

Re: Clashing again

Post by eumaas » 01 Nov 2017, 10:29pm

This boxset better be the shit or I am denouncing all of you at the next party congress.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49237
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Clashing again

Post by Wolter » 01 Nov 2017, 11:13pm

eumaas wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 10:29pm
This boxset better be the shit or I am denouncing all of you at the next party congress.
I don't have the best ears, and I only heard it in FLAC, but it seemed a substantial upgrade to my ears, especially on the early songs.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25027
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Clashing again

Post by Flex » 01 Nov 2017, 11:16pm

Wolter wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:13pm
I don't have the best ears, and I only heard it in FLAC, but it seemed a substantial upgrade to my ears, especially on the early songs.
There's some controversy around the live material as it was presented, but the studio material is unquestionably an upgrade.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14581
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: Clashing again

Post by Rat Patrol » 02 Nov 2017, 6:33am

eumaas wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 10:29pm
This boxset better be the shit or I am denouncing all of you at the next party congress.
It is. s/t and S! are revelations in how much the remasters scrape off the grime and vaseline from the sound.
Image

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7976
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: Clashing again

Post by Inder » 02 Nov 2017, 12:03pm

Rat Patrol wrote: grime and vaseline
Bernie Time.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35401
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Clashing again

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Nov 2017, 6:35pm

matedog wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 12:22pm
Also, Heart and Mind is a gem for me. Particularly with the Keys to Your Heart outro.
MateyDread.
Image
Image

coffeepotman
Junco Partner
Posts: 476
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: Clashing again

Post by coffeepotman » 03 Nov 2017, 7:14am

I don't listen to s/t, GEER or LC on a regular basis but BMC, S! and CR are always on regular rotation with me. I never tire of S!, every time I play it I hear something new. I like all the CR B sides and I play Bankrobber and Armegideon Time weekly. I've never taken a Clash break since the records were released.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35401
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Clashing again

Post by Marky Dread » 03 Nov 2017, 7:19am

coffeepotman wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 7:14am
I don't listen to s/t, GEER or LC on a regular basis but BMC, S! and CR are always on regular rotation with me. I never tire of S!, every time I play it I hear something new. I like all the CR B sides and I play Bankrobber and Armegideon Time weekly. I've never taken a Clash break since the records were released.
Pretty much all of the above. I've never taken a break from The Clash and they've never taken a break from me.
Image
Image

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1185
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: Clashing again

Post by Low Down Low » 03 Nov 2017, 7:45am

I'd say if it wasn't for Sound System I wouldn't have listened to s/t for the guts of 20 years. Doesn't mean I dont value it highly though. I physically have to ration listening to LC for fear the unthinkable happens and I end up playing it out. And I can't recall the last time I listened to GEER right through, but only recently discovered, after nearly 40 years of listening, that LGIT is actually a great tune, if a bit uninspiring on the lyrical side. They are still full of little surprises like that for me.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35401
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Clashing again

Post by Marky Dread » 03 Nov 2017, 8:12am

Low Down Low wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 7:45am
I'd say if it wasn't for Sound System I wouldn't have listened to s/t for the guts of 20 years. Doesn't mean I dont value it highly though. I physically have to ration listening to LC for fear the unthinkable happens and I end up playing it out. And I can't recall the last time I listened to GEER right through, but only recently discovered, after nearly 40 years of listening, that LGIT is actually a great tune, if a bit uninspiring on the lyrical side. They are still full of little surprises like that for me.
Half of GEER is excellent. Probably the self mythologising gets a bit much at time. "All the Young Punks (New Boots and Contracts)" has a stunning tune and some great guitar playing from Mick but is let down by it's hamfisted story.
Image
Image

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35401
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Clashing again

Post by Marky Dread » 03 Nov 2017, 8:14am

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 8:12am
Low Down Low wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 7:45am
I'd say if it wasn't for Sound System I wouldn't have listened to s/t for the guts of 20 years. Doesn't mean I dont value it highly though. I physically have to ration listening to LC for fear the unthinkable happens and I end up playing it out. And I can't recall the last time I listened to GEER right through, but only recently discovered, after nearly 40 years of listening, that LGIT is actually a great tune, if a bit uninspiring on the lyrical side. They are still full of little surprises like that for me.
Half of GEER is excellent. Probably the self mythologising gets a bit much at time. "All the Young Punks (New Boots and Contracts)" has a stunning tune and some great guitar playing from Mick but is let down by it's hamfisted story.
I would still prefer it to sound like the single/B-sides that predated it like "Pressure Drop" The Prisoner" etc. They were good enough to produce that album with what they already had. Sandy Pearlman was surplus to requirements for me but he is not at fault for the overall sound either.
Image
Image

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1185
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: Clashing again

Post by Low Down Low » 03 Nov 2017, 9:12am

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 8:14am
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 8:12am
Low Down Low wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 7:45am
I'd say if it wasn't for Sound System I wouldn't have listened to s/t for the guts of 20 years. Doesn't mean I dont value it highly though. I physically have to ration listening to LC for fear the unthinkable happens and I end up playing it out. And I can't recall the last time I listened to GEER right through, but only recently discovered, after nearly 40 years of listening, that LGIT is actually a great tune, if a bit uninspiring on the lyrical side. They are still full of little surprises like that for me.
Half of GEER is excellent. Probably the self mythologising gets a bit much at time. "All the Young Punks (New Boots and Contracts)" has a stunning tune and some great guitar playing from Mick but is let down by it's hamfisted story.
I would still prefer it to sound like the single/B-sides that predated it like "Pressure Drop" The Prisoner" etc. They were good enough to produce that album with what they already had. Sandy Pearlman was surplus to requirements for me but he is not at fault for the overall sound either.
ATYP is a great tune, I know I should like it more than i do. And was there anything stopping them adding White Man to the mix too if they wanted, though as I said before I like the fact they released so many non-album singles, from a value perspective.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35401
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Clashing again

Post by Marky Dread » 03 Nov 2017, 9:26am

Low Down Low wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 9:12am
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 8:14am
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 8:12am
Low Down Low wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 7:45am
I'd say if it wasn't for Sound System I wouldn't have listened to s/t for the guts of 20 years. Doesn't mean I dont value it highly though. I physically have to ration listening to LC for fear the unthinkable happens and I end up playing it out. And I can't recall the last time I listened to GEER right through, but only recently discovered, after nearly 40 years of listening, that LGIT is actually a great tune, if a bit uninspiring on the lyrical side. They are still full of little surprises like that for me.
Half of GEER is excellent. Probably the self mythologising gets a bit much at time. "All the Young Punks (New Boots and Contracts)" has a stunning tune and some great guitar playing from Mick but is let down by it's hamfisted story.
I would still prefer it to sound like the single/B-sides that predated it like "Pressure Drop" The Prisoner" etc. They were good enough to produce that album with what they already had. Sandy Pearlman was surplus to requirements for me but he is not at fault for the overall sound either.
ATYP is a great tune, I know I should like it more than i do. And was there anything stopping them adding White Man to the mix too if they wanted, though as I said before I like the fact they released so many non-album singles, from a value perspective.
Yeah they only wanted Tommy Gun released as a single from GEER. While they were on tour the record company released English Civil War.
Image
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests