Clashing again

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
WestwayKid
User avatar
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 187
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am

Re: Clashing again

Post by WestwayKid » 01 Nov 2017, 12:10pm

eumaas wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 12:03pm
Just noticed that it doesn't have Justice Tonight/Kick It Over, which I always thought was their finest dub. So I guess having SBMC is still good.
For a handful of tracks - but I echo everyone else - Sound System is worth the price. The sound is fantastic.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19915
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Clashing again

Post by matedog » 01 Nov 2017, 12:21pm

Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:51am
Rat Patrol wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:30am
Inder wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 10:55am
eumaas wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 8:45am
Flex wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 6:22pm
Their greatest album, a good comp, and some filler.

The perfect Clash experience. :shifty:
I considered getting London Calling, but the anniversary edition with the demos (which I have never listened to!) is OOP. And anyway I think I have heard LC enough. The title track has become oversaturated in film/TV.

I would rather a good singles/B-sides comp than the US s/t. I think UK is a good album but not the best of '77.

I never bought the singles box. Is it worth it? Pricey.
The demos are OK, no great shakes or hidden gems imo. Cool to listen to for the first time, though.

The Sound System Extras discs are an excellent career-spanning odds and sods type thing. I think they basically replace SBMC and add some other stuff.
It's got the only tolerable listen of Lover's Rock, the instrumental Guns of Brixton is one of the spookiest things they've ever done, and I'm convinced from Remote Control 2 that s/t U.S. should've been done as a straight into-the-can 1979 re-record of s/t U.K...Topper-fied.
Never got the love for that version of Remote Control. Just sounds like a half-arsed run through to me, the debut album version is just fine.
I like Topper over Terry and Joe's non-dopey 77 voice. Sound quality is a bit rough though, so it doesn't replace s/t for me.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19915
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Clashing again

Post by matedog » 01 Nov 2017, 12:22pm

Also, Heart and Mind is a gem for me. Particularly with the Keys to Your Heart outro.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14581
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: Clashing again

Post by Rat Patrol » 01 Nov 2017, 12:40pm

Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:51am
Rat Patrol wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:30am
Inder wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 10:55am
eumaas wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 8:45am
Flex wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 6:22pm
Their greatest album, a good comp, and some filler.

The perfect Clash experience. :shifty:
I considered getting London Calling, but the anniversary edition with the demos (which I have never listened to!) is OOP. And anyway I think I have heard LC enough. The title track has become oversaturated in film/TV.

I would rather a good singles/B-sides comp than the US s/t. I think UK is a good album but not the best of '77.

I never bought the singles box. Is it worth it? Pricey.
The demos are OK, no great shakes or hidden gems imo. Cool to listen to for the first time, though.

The Sound System Extras discs are an excellent career-spanning odds and sods type thing. I think they basically replace SBMC and add some other stuff.
It's got the only tolerable listen of Lover's Rock, the instrumental Guns of Brixton is one of the spookiest things they've ever done, and I'm convinced from Remote Control 2 that s/t U.S. should've been done as a straight into-the-can 1979 re-record of s/t U.K...Topper-fied.
Never got the love for that version of Remote Control. Just sounds like a half-arsed run through to me, the debut album version is just fine.
DCT may have lost its luster, but we still have Hoyston's fractal wrongness to concentrate our hate. :rolleyes:
Image

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26114
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Clashing again

Post by Heston » 01 Nov 2017, 1:09pm

Rat Patrol wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 12:40pm
Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:51am
Rat Patrol wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:30am
Inder wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 10:55am
eumaas wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 8:45am

I considered getting London Calling, but the anniversary edition with the demos (which I have never listened to!) is OOP. And anyway I think I have heard LC enough. The title track has become oversaturated in film/TV.

I would rather a good singles/B-sides comp than the US s/t. I think UK is a good album but not the best of '77.

I never bought the singles box. Is it worth it? Pricey.
The demos are OK, no great shakes or hidden gems imo. Cool to listen to for the first time, though.

The Sound System Extras discs are an excellent career-spanning odds and sods type thing. I think they basically replace SBMC and add some other stuff.
It's got the only tolerable listen of Lover's Rock, the instrumental Guns of Brixton is one of the spookiest things they've ever done, and I'm convinced from Remote Control 2 that s/t U.S. should've been done as a straight into-the-can 1979 re-record of s/t U.K...Topper-fied.
Never got the love for that version of Remote Control. Just sounds like a half-arsed run through to me, the debut album version is just fine.
DCT may have lost its luster, but we still have Hoyston's fractal wrongness to concentrate our hate. :rolleyes:
Well I might just have to take this one to the poll booth.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14819
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Clashing again

Post by 101Walterton » 01 Nov 2017, 2:21pm

The Clash are so ingrained in my DNA that when I am out and about if a Clash song comes on in a bar etc.. I look around to see who put it on presuming that it is for me.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7382
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Clashing again

Post by Kory » 01 Nov 2017, 2:51pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 7:40pm
especially his Paul-less version of LC
Isn't that just LC?
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7382
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Clashing again

Post by Kory » 01 Nov 2017, 2:52pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:25am
Rat Patrol wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:24am
Sound System is such an improvement in sound quality that it outright replaces the albums for me.
Ditto. The remastering work was top-notch.
Won't play on old CD players though.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71139
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Clashing again

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Nov 2017, 4:17pm

Kory wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 2:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:25am
Rat Patrol wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:24am
Sound System is such an improvement in sound quality that it outright replaces the albums for me.
Ditto. The remastering work was top-notch.
Won't play on old CD players though.
I went the iTunes route. I don't own a whole lotta cd's these days—usually only Wire and Swans, because I buy directly from the band.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7382
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Clashing again

Post by Kory » 01 Nov 2017, 4:47pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 4:17pm
Kory wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 2:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:25am
Rat Patrol wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:24am
Sound System is such an improvement in sound quality that it outright replaces the albums for me.
Ditto. The remastering work was top-notch.
Won't play on old CD players though.
I went the iTunes route. I don't own a whole lotta cd's these days—usually only Wire and Swans, because I buy directly from the band.
Does iTunes offer WAV, or just MP3?
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71139
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Clashing again

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Nov 2017, 4:59pm

Kory wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 4:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 4:17pm
Kory wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 2:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:25am
Rat Patrol wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:24am
Sound System is such an improvement in sound quality that it outright replaces the albums for me.
Ditto. The remastering work was top-notch.
Won't play on old CD players though.
I went the iTunes route. I don't own a whole lotta cd's these days—usually only Wire and Swans, because I buy directly from the band.
Does iTunes offer WAV, or just MP3?
320 AACs only, I think. Apple does have its own lossless format, but I don't think I've ever seen it as an option from the store. I assume it's only for ripping your own discs and is appealing because iPods, etc can play them.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12599
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Clashing again

Post by Silent Majority » 01 Nov 2017, 7:15pm

matedog wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 12:22pm
Also, Heart and Mind is a gem for me. Particularly with the Keys to Your Heart outro.
I'm no fan of Heart and Mind. Glad it's out, absolutely unnecessary. There's nothing there.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26114
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Clashing again

Post by Heston » 01 Nov 2017, 7:20pm

Silent Majority wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 7:15pm
matedog wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 12:22pm
Also, Heart and Mind is a gem for me. Particularly with the Keys to Your Heart outro.
I'm no fan of Heart and Mind. Glad it's out, absolutely unnecessary. There's nothing there.
Yeah, it's almost like an outtake of an outtake when you consider how much it sounds like One Emotion.

The Vanilla Tapes are something I revisit very rarely, they are just too rough and sketchy.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

JohnS
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 397
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 6:18pm

Re: Clashing again

Post by JohnS » 01 Nov 2017, 9:24pm

I hope this doesn't upset anyone too much (er....dr medulla), but you can get Sound System - in a range of high res formats like FLAC or WAV - for £12.49 at junodownload.com.

https://www.junodownload.com/search/?q% ... ormat=aiff

I know very little about this website but it seems to be aimed at DJs/mixers cos it lists tracks with a BPM count. Check out those Clash tempos, folks, if you like that sort of thing. Fastest seems to be IFTL Live at the Lyceum at 159 BPM, and the slowest is Stop The World at 51 BPM
Although I don't think they've got the info quite right - they have Clashabilly toe-tapper Know Your Rights as one of the slowest tracks at 55 BPM... and One More Time = 66 BPM, but One More Dub = 133 BPM?!
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4210
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: Clashing again

Post by muppet hi fi » 01 Nov 2017, 9:41pm

101Walterton wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 2:21pm
The Clash are so ingrained in my DNA that when I am out and about if a Clash song comes on in a bar etc.. I look around to see who put it on presuming that it is for me.
I don't get out and about too much these days, but I hear what you're saying, Wally. When a Clash tune shows on the telly or in the pub or wherever I always find myself checking the faces and body language of those around me. Their stuff still seems so contemporary and, dare I say it - relevant.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: absolutereality, Bing [Bot] and 5 guests