Clashing again

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Clashing again

Post by eumaas » 31 Oct 2017, 3:04pm

After hearing the Clash on Stranger Things S2, I got a real hankering to listen to them for the first time in years. So I went on Amazon and bought three CDs. What did I get? GEER, S!, and SBMC. Just didn't feel like s/t, LC, or CR. Let alone CtC. And because of my particular nostalgia, I didn't pick up any of the newer compilations and single releases.

Just thought I would mention it.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Re: Clashing again

Post by muppet hi fi » 31 Oct 2017, 5:42pm

Interesting serendipity here, as I was just about to start a thread about bands/artists you've never tired of, even for a short spell, since you discovered them. And I'm pretty sure the Clash and the Screaming Blue Messiahs are probably the only ones I can think of.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi » 31 Oct 2017, 5:43pm

Interesting serendipity here, as I was just about to start a thread about fave bands/artists you've never tired of, even for a short spell, since you discovered them. And I'm pretty sure the Clash and the Screaming Blue Messiahs are probably the only ones I can think of.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol » 31 Oct 2017, 6:00pm

Back on your Clash bullshit again? Don't worry...DCT will put a stop to that in record self-loathing time.

Now...about the pitch on that Koka Kola bell. . .

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder » 31 Oct 2017, 6:04pm

We should have a Clash listening party.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory » 31 Oct 2017, 6:16pm

eumaas wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 3:04pm
After hearing the Clash on Stranger Things S2, I got a real hankering to listen to them for the first time in years. So I went on Amazon and bought three CDs. What did I get? GEER, S!, and SBMC. Just didn't feel like s/t, LC, or CR. Let alone CtC. And because of my particular nostalgia, I didn't pick up any of the newer compilations and single releases.

I thought you were more of a downloader, for some reason.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex » 31 Oct 2017, 6:22pm

Their greatest album, a good comp, and some filler.

The perfect Clash experience. :shifty:
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston » 31 Oct 2017, 7:35pm

The Clash are now engrained in my DNA. Never tire of them.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 31 Oct 2017, 7:40pm

Whenever Marky unleashes a blast of stuff, I get sucked in again for a little while (especially his Paul-less version of LC), but DCT really did compromise my enjoyment of the band. Which isn't to say I didn't love the argument and analysis, but I can't help but stumble over the warts now. That's the hilarious upshot of the conflict between CK and myself in his final few years here: he basically won because I can't just plain enjoy the Clash anymore.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol » 31 Oct 2017, 8:43pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 7:40pm
Whenever Marky unleashes a blast of stuff, I get sucked in again for a little while (especially his Paul-less version of LC), but DCT really did compromise my enjoyment of the band. Which isn't to say I didn't love the argument and analysis, but I can't help but stumble over the warts now. That's the hilarious upshot of the conflict between CK and myself in his final few years here: he basically won because I can't just plain enjoy the Clash anymore.
Once you've stood on Olympus and had your throat threatened by the B-team's ace...the everyday thrills just seem kind of ordinary, no?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 31 Oct 2017, 8:52pm

Rat Patrol wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 8:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Once you've stood on Olympus and had your throat threatened by the B-team's ace...the everyday thrills just seem kind of ordinary, no?
Nick & Pete wrote: :angry:
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 01 Nov 2017, 8:40am

Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 6:16pm
eumaas wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 3:04pm

I thought you were more of a downloader, for some reason.
vinyl > CD > FLAC > cassette > MP3 is my order of preference. Although sometimes I would rather listen to CD (w/ great headphones) over vinyl since the soundsystem we have for vinyl isn't the greatest. Vinyl is usually what we put on when we have guests.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 01 Nov 2017, 8:42am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I was able to enjoy it! I think because my memory of the DCT years has now faded. I mean, I was able to make it through the entirety of Shitsville without skipping the track, so that should indicate the goodwill I have built up for the Clash over the past few years of refusing to listen to them.

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 01 Nov 2017, 8:45am

Flex wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 6:22pm
Their greatest album, a good comp, and some filler.

The perfect Clash experience. :shifty:
I considered getting London Calling, but the anniversary edition with the demos (which I have never listened to!) is OOP. And anyway I think I have heard LC enough. The title track has become oversaturated in film/TV.

I would rather a good singles/B-sides comp than the US s/t. I think UK is a good album but not the best of '77.

I never bought the singles box. Is it worth it? Pricey.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority » 01 Nov 2017, 8:54am

My favourite band. Marky's remasters have reminded me how deep the music, lyrics and performances of their best stuff are lodged in my heart.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/