Rude Boy

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Rude Boy

Post by WestwayKid »

I watched Rude Boy, yesterday - for the first time in a good while.

Not how I planned on spending my Saturday morning (had hoped to have been a little more productive) - but I was nursing a bit of a hangover (I felt like I'd been out drinking Special Brew with Ray all night).

I was just perusing the music related titles on Amazon and saw Rude Boy and thought why not.

Apart from the live performances (which we know are fantastic) - there are some nice scenes throughout.

The clip of Mick tracking the vocal for Stay Free is pretty moving. As is the shorter clip of Joe putting down the lead vocal for All the Young Punks. Fascinating watching him pump himself up.

Another great scene is towards the end where Ray has his exchange with Mick backstage. The one where Ray drunkenly comments that it was weird to see a black guy singing along to White Riot and Mick just shoots him down:

Mick: I've been watching you.
Ray: I'll keep that in mind.
Mick: Do.

Or when a drunk Ray is trying to get into Johnny Green's bed and Topper keeps knocking his legs away so he falls back on the ground.

Or even just the small shot of Paul relaxing in his hotel bed with a drink and "The Harder The Come" soundtrack playing on the tape deck.

Yeah, the film feels aimless and Ray gets very, very annoying and it is so awesome when they finally just leave him behind.

I still think it is a neat document to have. You get some really cool moments with the band. Joe playing No Reason/Let the Good Times Roll on the piano. I can put up with Ray stumbling around like a moron if it means getting all the great live clips and Topper roughing him up (in that crazy Bruce Lee suit)! :)
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: Rude Boy

Post by laxman »

Haven't watched it for ages. You have inspired me to watch it(, maybe! )

The soundtrack is, as you say, brilliant. Not sure why it didn't ever get an official CD release.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

laxman wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 1:40pm

The soundtrack is, as you say, brilliant. Not sure why it didn't ever get an official CD release.
I say go for it! Worth a watch every now and then. Interesting snapshot of the UK in the late 70's.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

WestwayKid wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:06pm
laxman wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 1:40pm

I say go for it! Worth a watch every now and then. Interesting snapshot of the UK in the late 70's.

My daughter has a few friends round for a sleepover. Not sure I'm going to get control of the TV tonight!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I remember watching it for the first time aged about 14 and it was quite bewildering, was expecting Clash action from the outset. Thank god for the fast forward button!

I got to appreciate it more a bit later, but still a bit of a muddled story.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Heston wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:32pm
I remember watching it for the first time aged about 14 and it was quite bewildering, was expecting Clash action from the outset. Thank god for the fast forward button!

The play music scenes only option on the DVD menu used to prove handy!

Heston

Post by Heston »

laxman wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:34pm
Heston wrote:

Yeah, thank god for DVD. I had a video recorder with no remote control. I used to use a long stick to push the fast forward button from the sofa.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Heston wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:39pm
laxman wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yeah, thank god for DVD. I had a video recorder with no remote control. I used to use a long stick to push the fast forward button from the sofa.
Ha ha.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

The Snotty Snail Directors Cut CD is the best one I have heard and includes No Reason etc..
My favourite scenes are Mick and Joe doing the vocals for GEER.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 4:47pm
The Snotty Snail Directors Cut CD is the best one I have heard and includes No Reason etc..
My favourite scenes are Mick and Joe doing the vocals for GEER.
Agreed. Kind of magical watching them track the vocals. Wish I could find a clip of Mick doing Stay Free on the 'net.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Some good scenes recording Rope etc. Ray Gange is shown in a poor light at times. The scene where Mick shouts at Ray to "get off the fucking stage" is fake and edited to look that way.

The soundtrack is also fake with the band playing along to live takes in the studio. The version of (WM) iHP for example is a complete studio take with cheering just added to the end of the track. I recently split the stereo channels on that track and you get full alt. Version of it.

When you split the stereo channels on the version of White Riot from Victoria Park you can hear Pursey live in one channel and Joe in the studio on the other.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Heston wrote:
laxman wrote:
Heston wrote:

Pool Cue.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 10:57am
Heston wrote:
laxman wrote:
Heston wrote:

Pool Cue.
Just move either the TV or the Sofa closer together and get that cinematic effect.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

white man wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 10:57am
Heston wrote:
laxman wrote:
Heston wrote:

Pool Cue.
No, back scratcher.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 5:27pm
Some good scenes recording Rope etc. Ray Gange is shown in a poor light at times. The scene where Mick shouts at Ray to "get off the fucking stage" is fake and edited to look that way.

The soundtrack is also fake with the band playing along to live takes in the studio. The version of (WM) iHP for example is a complete studio take with cheering just added to the end of the track. I recently split the stereo channels on that track and you get full alt. Version of it.

When you split the stereo channels on the version of White Riot from Victoria Park you can hear Pursey live in one channel and Joe in the studio on the other.
I already knew this, but it was a bit more jarring than usual, recently. I was watching some actual live shows two weeks ago, then switched to the Rude Boy performances and they were pretty toothless by comparison. I had this recollection of them still sounding live, but they really don't.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc