Rude Boy

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Rude Boy

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 1:16pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 5:27pm
Some good scenes recording Rope etc. Ray Gange is shown in a poor light at times. The scene where Mick shouts at Ray to "get off the fucking stage" is fake and edited to look that way.

The soundtrack is also fake with the band playing along to live takes in the studio. The version of (WM) iHP for example is a complete studio take with cheering just added to the end of the track. I recently split the stereo channels on that track and you get full alt. Version of it.

When you split the stereo channels on the version of White Riot from Victoria Park you can hear Pursey live in one channel and Joe in the studio on the other.
I already knew this, but it was a bit more jarring than usual, recently. I was watching some actual live shows two weeks ago, then switched to the Rude Boy performances and they were pretty toothless by comparison. I had this recollection of them still sounding live, but they really don't.
The CD that 101 mentions is great to listen to until you realise 80% is really studio recordings then it somewhat takes the shine off. I would love to hear the actual tapes they played along to just to see how poor they originally sounded. I presume they were soundboards as no other tapes other than The Lyceum has shown up in such good sound. The Victoria Park gig on the Megalist sounds rubbish.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 2:05pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Some good scenes recording Rope etc. Ray Gange is shown in a poor light at times. The scene where Mick shouts at Ray to "get off the fucking stage" is fake and edited to look that way.

The soundtrack is also fake with the band playing along to live takes in the studio. The version of (WM) iHP for example is a complete studio take with cheering just added to the end of the track. I recently split the stereo channels on that track and you get full alt. Version of it.

When you split the stereo channels on the version of White Riot from Victoria Park you can hear Pursey live in one channel and Joe in the studio on the other.
I already knew this, but it was a bit more jarring than usual, recently. I was watching some actual live shows two weeks ago, then switched to the Rude Boy performances and they were pretty toothless by comparison. I had this recollection of them still sounding live, but they really don't.
The CD that 101 mentions is great to listen to until you realise 80% is really studio recordings then it somewhat takes the shine off. I would love to hear the actual tapes they played along to just to see how poor they originally sounded. I presume they were soundboards as no other tapes other than The Lyceum has shown up in such good sound. The Victoria Park gig on the Megalist sounds rubbish.
The Police and Thieves live(?) on Rude Boy is my favourite version! Don’t tell me it is fake news??
Either way doesn’t matter it’s great.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 2:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

The Police and Thieves live(?) on Rude Boy is my favourite version! Don’t tell me it is fake news??
It's all fake takes mate. I love that version also but all you are hearing from the actual gig is the crowd noise. All the rest is the band playing along to the live take in the studio. For a band who hated miming so much and all the talk of great electronic devices to make things sound better it's a bit rich really. Still in fairness they were getting paid to re-record the Rude Boy soundtrack.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 2:28pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It's all fake takes mate. I love that version also but all you are hearing from the actual gig is the crowd noise. All the rest is the band playing along to the live take in the studio. For a band who hated miming so much and all the talk of great electronic devices to make things sound better it's a bit rich really. Still in fairness they were getting paid to re-record the Rude Boy soundtrack.
Which makes the fact there was no soundtrack release even more bizarre?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 2:30pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 2:28pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

Which makes the fact there was no soundtrack release even more bizarre?
There was a promo cassette release of most of those tracks that appeared on your Snotty Snail CD. I expect for a band that prided itself on putting on a great live show they didn't want to get caught out.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

When Bernie got the sack, it changed their relationship with Mingay and Hazen, and their attitude about the film. I don’t think they wanted to extend their endorsement at that point to a soundtrack album, and thus changed their minds about releasing it. They did want it all to sound good though. At least we got the real multi-track recordings from the Lyceum out of it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 4:16pm
When Bernie got the sack, it changed their relationship with Mingay and Hazen, and their attitude about the film. I don’t think they wanted to extend their endorsement at that point to a soundtrack album, and thus changed their minds about releasing it. They did want it all to sound good though. At least we got the real multi-track recordings from the Lyceum out of it.
Was it too expensive for the film budget to record more pro sound shows? I assume the Lyceum was the only one recorded on 16 track?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 4:16pm
Yeah, imagine if the Clash of '78 had some good filmmakers to work with.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

My problem with Rude Boy was it caught them at my least favourite era of their career. They looked great in 77 and 79, but 78 was that horrible year when they didn't look like a band. Mick's hair was too long and they all looked like they were were regressing back to their pre-punk personas. They always looked like a gang apart from that one year, even in 1985.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 7:31pm
My problem with Rude Boy was it caught them at my least favourite era of their career. They looked great in 77 and 79, but 78 was that horrible year when they didn't look like a band. Mick's hair was too long and they all looked like they were were regressing back to their pre-punk personas. They always looked like a gang apart from that one year, even in 1985.
I remember being disappointed by Mick looking like Keith Richards. Ray’s hair always annoyed me too!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 8:47pm
Heston wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 7:31pm
I remember being disappointed by Mick looking like Keith Richards. Ray’s hair always annoyed me too!
Haircuts and clothes have never played guitar and drums. Mick's hair in Rude Boy is nothing like Keith Richards 101. Ian Hunter maybe but Mick's Keith Richards look was earlier than '78.

I do agree with Heston they looked better in the years he mentioned.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

According to Redemption Song...the cost of re-recording the music cost more than double the original budget for the film.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 7:09am
According to Redemption Song...the cost of re-recording the music cost more than double the original budget for the film.
Yep I remember reading that and it may be true. They had studio expenses and the band to pay. Joe Strummer said the band had no further contact with directors Dave Mingay and Jack Hazan after the film was shot, and didn't receive any payments from them. The band were extremely dissapointed with the way the film portrayed the black youths being shown as thieves etc.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Hammy
Dirty Punk

Post by Hammy »

I believe Jack Hazan may have been the DOP on the Rock The Casbah vid.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

David Mingay shot a video for “The Globe” that they didn’t end up using.