Rude Boy

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Post Reply
WestwayKid
User avatar
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 185
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am

Rude Boy

Post by WestwayKid » 22 Oct 2017, 12:28pm

I watched Rude Boy, yesterday - for the first time in a good while.

Not how I planned on spending my Saturday morning (had hoped to have been a little more productive) - but I was nursing a bit of a hangover (I felt like I'd been out drinking Special Brew with Ray all night).

I was just perusing the music related titles on Amazon and saw Rude Boy and thought why not.

Apart from the live performances (which we know are fantastic) - there are some nice scenes throughout.

The clip of Mick tracking the vocal for Stay Free is pretty moving. As is the shorter clip of Joe putting down the lead vocal for All the Young Punks. Fascinating watching him pump himself up.

Another great scene is towards the end where Ray has his exchange with Mick backstage. The one where Ray drunkenly comments that it was weird to see a black guy singing along to White Riot and Mick just shoots him down:

Mick: I've been watching you.
Ray: I'll keep that in mind.
Mick: Do.

Or when a drunk Ray is trying to get into Johnny Green's bed and Topper keeps knocking his legs away so he falls back on the ground.

Or even just the small shot of Paul relaxing in his hotel bed with a drink and "The Harder The Come" soundtrack playing on the tape deck.

Yeah, the film feels aimless and Ray gets very, very annoying and it is so awesome when they finally just leave him behind.

I still think it is a neat document to have. You get some really cool moments with the band. Joe playing No Reason/Let the Good Times Roll on the piano. I can put up with Ray stumbling around like a moron if it means getting all the great live clips and Topper roughing him up (in that crazy Bruce Lee suit)! :)

laxman
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1421
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: Rude Boy

Post by laxman » 22 Oct 2017, 1:40pm

Haven't watched it for ages. You have inspired me to watch it(, maybe! )

The soundtrack is, as you say, brilliant. Not sure why it didn't ever get an official CD release.

WestwayKid
User avatar
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 185
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am

Re: Rude Boy

Post by WestwayKid » 22 Oct 2017, 2:06pm

laxman wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 1:40pm
Haven't watched it for ages. You have inspired me to watch it(, maybe! )

The soundtrack is, as you say, brilliant. Not sure why it didn't ever get an official CD release.
I say go for it! Worth a watch every now and then. Interesting snapshot of the UK in the late 70's.

laxman
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1421
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: Rude Boy

Post by laxman » 22 Oct 2017, 2:20pm

WestwayKid wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:06pm
laxman wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 1:40pm
Haven't watched it for ages. You have inspired me to watch it(, maybe! )

The soundtrack is, as you say, brilliant. Not sure why it didn't ever get an official CD release.
I say go for it! Worth a watch every now and then. Interesting snapshot of the UK in the late 70's.

My daughter has a few friends round for a sleepover. Not sure I'm going to get control of the TV tonight!

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26094
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Rude Boy

Post by Heston » 22 Oct 2017, 2:32pm

I remember watching it for the first time aged about 14 and it was quite bewildering, was expecting Clash action from the outset. Thank god for the fast forward button!

I got to appreciate it more a bit later, but still a bit of a muddled story.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

laxman
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1421
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: Rude Boy

Post by laxman » 22 Oct 2017, 2:34pm

Heston wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:32pm
I remember watching it for the first time aged about 14 and it was quite bewildering, was expecting Clash action from the outset. Thank god for the fast forward button!

I got to appreciate it more a bit later, but still a bit of a muddled story.
The play music scenes only option on the DVD menu used to prove handy!

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26094
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Rude Boy

Post by Heston » 22 Oct 2017, 2:39pm

laxman wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:34pm
Heston wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:32pm
I remember watching it for the first time aged about 14 and it was quite bewildering, was expecting Clash action from the outset. Thank god for the fast forward button!

I got to appreciate it more a bit later, but still a bit of a muddled story.
The play music scenes only option on the DVD menu used to prove handy!
Yeah, thank god for DVD. I had a video recorder with no remote control. I used to use a long stick to push the fast forward button from the sofa.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

laxman
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1421
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: Rude Boy

Post by laxman » 22 Oct 2017, 3:47pm

Heston wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:39pm
laxman wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:34pm
Heston wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:32pm
I remember watching it for the first time aged about 14 and it was quite bewildering, was expecting Clash action from the outset. Thank god for the fast forward button!

I got to appreciate it more a bit later, but still a bit of a muddled story.
The play music scenes only option on the DVD menu used to prove handy!
Yeah, thank god for DVD. I had a video recorder with no remote control. I used to use a long stick to push the fast forward button from the sofa.
Ha ha.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14810
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Rude Boy

Post by 101Walterton » 22 Oct 2017, 4:47pm

The Snotty Snail Directors Cut CD is the best one I have heard and includes No Reason etc..
My favourite scenes are Mick and Joe doing the vocals for GEER.

WestwayKid
User avatar
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 185
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am

Re: Rude Boy

Post by WestwayKid » 22 Oct 2017, 5:00pm

101Walterton wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 4:47pm
The Snotty Snail Directors Cut CD is the best one I have heard and includes No Reason etc..
My favourite scenes are Mick and Joe doing the vocals for GEER.
Agreed. Kind of magical watching them track the vocals. Wish I could find a clip of Mick doing Stay Free on the 'net.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35382
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Rude Boy

Post by Marky Dread » 22 Oct 2017, 5:27pm

Some good scenes recording Rope etc. Ray Gange is shown in a poor light at times. The scene where Mick shouts at Ray to "get off the fucking stage" is fake and edited to look that way.

The soundtrack is also fake with the band playing along to live takes in the studio. The version of (WM) iHP for example is a complete studio take with cheering just added to the end of the track. I recently split the stereo channels on that track and you get full alt. Version of it.

When you split the stereo channels on the version of White Riot from Victoria Park you can hear Pursey live in one channel and Joe in the studio on the other.
Image
Image

white man
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 720
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:12pm
Location: Penshaw Manor

Re: Rude Boy

Post by white man » 23 Oct 2017, 10:57am

Heston wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:39pm
laxman wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:34pm
Heston wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:32pm
I remember watching it for the first time aged about 14 and it was quite bewildering, was expecting Clash action from the outset. Thank god for the fast forward button!

I got to appreciate it more a bit later, but still a bit of a muddled story.
The play music scenes only option on the DVD menu used to prove handy!
Yeah, thank god for DVD. I had a video recorder with no remote control. I used to use a long stick to push the fast forward button from the sofa.
Pool Cue.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35382
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Rude Boy

Post by Marky Dread » 23 Oct 2017, 11:31am

white man wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 10:57am
Heston wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:39pm
laxman wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:34pm
Heston wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:32pm
I remember watching it for the first time aged about 14 and it was quite bewildering, was expecting Clash action from the outset. Thank god for the fast forward button!

I got to appreciate it more a bit later, but still a bit of a muddled story.
The play music scenes only option on the DVD menu used to prove handy!
Yeah, thank god for DVD. I had a video recorder with no remote control. I used to use a long stick to push the fast forward button from the sofa.
Pool Cue.
Just move either the TV or the Sofa closer together and get that cinematic effect.
Image
Image

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26094
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Rude Boy

Post by Heston » 23 Oct 2017, 11:45am

white man wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 10:57am
Heston wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:39pm
laxman wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:34pm
Heston wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 2:32pm
I remember watching it for the first time aged about 14 and it was quite bewildering, was expecting Clash action from the outset. Thank god for the fast forward button!

I got to appreciate it more a bit later, but still a bit of a muddled story.
The play music scenes only option on the DVD menu used to prove handy!
Yeah, thank god for DVD. I had a video recorder with no remote control. I used to use a long stick to push the fast forward button from the sofa.
Pool Cue.
No, back scratcher.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7374
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Rude Boy

Post by Kory » 23 Oct 2017, 1:16pm

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 5:27pm
Some good scenes recording Rope etc. Ray Gange is shown in a poor light at times. The scene where Mick shouts at Ray to "get off the fucking stage" is fake and edited to look that way.

The soundtrack is also fake with the band playing along to live takes in the studio. The version of (WM) iHP for example is a complete studio take with cheering just added to the end of the track. I recently split the stereo channels on that track and you get full alt. Version of it.

When you split the stereo channels on the version of White Riot from Victoria Park you can hear Pursey live in one channel and Joe in the studio on the other.
I already knew this, but it was a bit more jarring than usual, recently. I was watching some actual live shows two weeks ago, then switched to the Rude Boy performances and they were pretty toothless by comparison. I had this recollection of them still sounding live, but they really don't.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], JennyB and 4 guests