Clash Songs Ranked

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Clash Songs Ranked

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 10:07am
Heston wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 9:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 9:21am
Heston wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 8:50am
Ah man, so many great songs there. What the hell happened to pop music?
You got old, Johnny, you got old.
It's not just that, I've had this argument before and thought about it a lot. There was much more variety back then. These days the charts are full of songs that are made by the same producer, same age range of artists etc. No wildcards, no genre variation.
Well, yes, you're right!

Heston "I'll take that, thanks Doc" :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Heston wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 7:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 6:12pm
All very odd it's like they were scarred of success here.
Yep. They could have cleaned up with a few single releases in 1980. Instead of that ill-fated singles campaign they should have milked LC for a couple of more singles. They were like wilful saboteurs of their own career.
BINGO!
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
How much faith you place on the mainstream and charts will determine how you feel about the quality of music today—it's a matter of where you want to look.
I'm an old fashioned charts type of guy. I want my day to day life to be soundtracked by great music like it used to back in the day.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 11:00am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
How much faith you place on the mainstream and charts will determine how you feel about the quality of music today—it's a matter of where you want to look.
I'm an old fashioned charts type of guy. I want my day to day life to be soundtracked by great music like it used to back in the day.
It's gone and ain't coming back. Fragmentation is the norm now.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 9:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 9:21am
Heston wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 8:50am
Ah man, so many great songs there. What the hell happened to pop music?
You got old, Johnny, you got old.
It's not just that, I've had this argument before and thought about it a lot. There was much more variety back then. These days the charts are full of songs that are made by the same producer, same age range of artists etc. No wildcards, no genre variation.
Well, yes, you're right, and that's due, primarily, to consolidation of corporate labels and radio. Controlling the message, consistency, is key because they're looking for predictability to better gauge profitability. What we love about the old days—diversity and oddities—was fundamentality loathed by the music industry because they had no idea what would sell and what wouldn't, so marketing was little more than guesswork. So the charts now are pretty much what corporate interests want. But at the same time, there's a fuck of a lot more diversity overall because musicians have more options available to them outside the mainstream, but it means building a mainstream audience is next to impossible. How much faith you place on the mainstream and charts will determine how you feel about the quality of music today—it's a matter of where you want to look.
I'm grateful for this, but on the other hand, I wonder if we'll ever see anything truly great again (we may have discussed this before). Without the labels to back you up with a living wage, all music is done after work and on weekends. It's difficult to clear your mind and have enough time to really get down to business in that kind of environment.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 12:46pm
I'm grateful for this, but on the other hand, I wonder if we'll ever see anything truly great again (we may have discussed this before). Without the labels to back you up with a living wage, all music is done after work and on weekends. It's difficult to clear your mind and have enough time to really get down to business in that kind of environment.
I go back and forth on this. Artistically, it's better, I would think, as there are fewer gatekeepers, tho less likely to earn a decent living from music alone. But this loss of a mass audience, I tend to think, reduces the likelihood that music can be much more than diversion, than simple entertainment. At best, it inspires someone who goes on to build something bigger, but the idea of a musician commanding importance like Dylan or the Beatles is very unlikely. As Lester Bangs lamented in his eulogy for Elvis, we'll never agree on anything ever again the way we agreed on Elvis. That's the kind of social tragedy I've tried (and failed) to get students to think about. Fragmentation benefits capitalism. Period. Audiences and artists may believe their specific tastes are being served, but the price is fragmentation.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 1:03pm
Kory wrote:
I go back and forth on this. Artistically, it's better, I would think, as there are fewer gatekeepers, tho less likely to earn a decent living from music alone. But this loss of a mass audience, I tend to think, reduces the likelihood that music can be much more than diversion, than simple entertainment. At best, it inspires someone who goes on to build something bigger, but the idea of a musician commanding importance like Dylan or the Beatles is very unlikely. As Lester Bangs lamented in his eulogy for Elvis, we'll never agree on anything ever again the way we agreed on Elvis. That's the kind of social tragedy I've tried (and failed) to get students to think about. Fragmentation benefits capitalism. Period. Audiences and artists may believe their specific tastes are being served, but the price is fragmentation.
I'm a lot less interested in cultural importance than I am in simply creating outstanding tunes. I've come across a lot of bands on Bandcamp, Soundcloud, Facebook, etc. that I quite like, but still nothing that matches or even comes close to the stuff that I think is really great (in the highest definition of the term). I'm concerned that unless a band is made out of trust fund kids, they aren't going to have the mental state or the time to really reach for something higher.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 1:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I'm a lot less interested in cultural importance than I am in simply creating outstanding tunes. I've come across a lot of bands on Bandcamp, Soundcloud, Facebook, etc. that I quite like, but still nothing that matches or even comes close to the stuff that I think is really great (in the highest definition of the term). I'm concerned that unless a band is made out of trust fund kids, they aren't going to have the mental state or the time to really reach for something higher.
Quisling. :shifty:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 2:09pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
How so? I have to admit I had to look that word up.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 2:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
You're being counter-revolutionary in your bourgeois self-interest. You'll hang …

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 2:28pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

You're being counter-revolutionary in your bourgeois self-interest. You'll hang …
BRING IT

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 3:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

BRING IT
I am so looking forward to the revolution, if only for this.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 4:05pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

BRING IT
Indeed. I'll have the sweet release of death, and you'll have thousands of drab bands.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 4:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

BRING IT
Indeed. I'll have the sweet release of death, and you'll have thousands of drab bands.
Your blood will finally make Starship sound good.

(Man, shit's gotten dark.)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 5:19pm
Kory wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 4:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

BRING IT
Your blood will finally make Starship sound good.

(Man, shit's gotten dark.)
Hey you two...get a room! :twitch:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia