The Clash version of "Fire and Skill"!

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Clash version of "Fire and Skill"!

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 9:50pm
The Clash have nowhere near the live vault the Jam has. They have pre-broadcast tapes for Jaap Edenhal ‘81 and Jamaica ‘82, and multi-tracks for Lyceum ‘79, two Bonds shows and the two from Boston ‘82. I’m not sure why the multi-tracks for the Concert For Kampuchea have never turned up, unless they are legally unavailable. I don’t think they have the complete Lewisham. Other broadcasts include Cleveland ‘79 and Chicago ‘79, neither of which sound great, and the Palladium in New York. That’s about it. The U.S. Festival is likely impossible. You all know no official release will include a show without Mick. Does anyone know if the Leicester ‘77 show was really recorded by the BBC, or is just a soundboard a bootlegger got hold of?
It's alleged when Johnny Green helped Mick move flat he helped himself to one of Mick's cassette tapes and then passed it onto a friend who in turn gave it to a bootlegger to press the vinyl album. I think Mick's tape was most likely a mixing desk tape. The BBC only had AM mono transmissions during the seventies so who knows.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

20 Sep 2017, 9:50pm
The Clash have nowhere near the live vault the Jam has. They have pre-broadcast tapes for Jaap Edenhal ‘81 and Jamaica ‘82, and multi-tracks for Lyceum ‘79, two Bonds shows and the two from Boston ‘82. I’m not sure why the multi-tracks for the Concert For Kampuchea have never turned up, unless they are legally unavailable. I don’t think they have the complete Lewisham. Other broadcasts include Cleveland ‘79 and Chicago ‘79, neither of which sound great, and the Palladium in New York. That’s about it. The U.S. Festival is likely impossible. You all know no official release will include a show without Mick. Does anyone know if the Leicester ‘77 show was really recorded by the BBC, or is just a soundboard a bootlegger got hold of?
Yep sure thing Teddy but this is just an imaginary wish box set.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Paris 1980 is indeed a great shout, I fucking love that show. This is what I watch over and over and over:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 10:51pm
Paris 1980 is indeed a great shout, I fucking love that show. This is what I watch over and over and over:

I watched it only just last week. Got the DVD and it's a great energetic show.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 9:22pm
Heston wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 9:20pm
1981 has to be Jaap Edenhall. Nothing comes close.
For a complete genuine show that would be great. SonBurns remaster was great and I did one as well where we mixed in the missing tracks.
Aha! I knew you were involved in that mofo! We talked about this a while back, and you couldn't remember which version was the crown jewel - yours or Sonny Burnitt's. It's one of the few things I've ever been successfully able to download and burn (after hours of yelling at the computer and scaring the cats), and it really is a treasure.

I also had some theory that Mick had heard it and wanted it for a bonus disc for the planned deluxe version of 'Sandinista!' a few years back; I PMd TeddyB about it but he never got back to me. Probably thought I was dreaming it and nuts (he'd be right on both counts :mrgreen: ).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Post by sonnyburnit »

I'm pretty sure Teddy gave/sent Mick a copy of the "remaster" I did, can't remember if he provided any feedback. I might take another crack at it someday but I think Markey has cornered the "mark"et on rad sounding refixes/remasters, those projects take a lot of time too.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

sonnyburnit wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 9:34pm
I'm pretty sure Teddy gave/sent Mick a copy of the "remaster" I did, can't remember if he provided any feedback. I might take another crack at it someday but I think Markey has cornered the "mark"et on rad sounding refixes/remasters, those projects take a lot of time too.
Nice pun how could I not approve. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

muppet hi fi wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 12:33am
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
For a complete genuine show that would be great. SonBurns remaster was great and I did one as well where we mixed in the missing tracks.
Aha! I knew you were involved in that mofo! We talked about this a while back, and you couldn't remember which version was the crown jewel - yours or Sonny Burnitt's. It's one of the few things I've ever been successfully able to download and burn (after hours of yelling at the computer and scaring the cats), and it really is a treasure.

I also had some theory that Mick had heard it and wanted it for a bonus disc for the planned deluxe version of 'Sandinista!' a few years back; I PMd TeddyB about it but he never got back to me. Probably thought I was dreaming it and nuts (he'd be right on both counts :mrgreen: ).
You have it backwards. Sony wanted to put out a deluxe version of Sandinista and suggested adding either Amsterdam (which would have been cool) or Jamaica (which would have made little sense). They sent CD’s to Gerry, including the full Amsterdam, but Mick felt that there was scant studio bonus material to make it worthwhile and so wasn’t interested. Who knows where those CD’s are now. :(

That Paris show is great. Has anyone heard Carla Bruni’s new version of Jimmy Jazz? I haven’t yet. The mind boggles.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

Paris show is great
but Amsterdam could be the right choice if you ask me
Some powerful sandinista live material !

I remembered that there was kingston advice dub version mentionned for the bonus disk...

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

21 Sep 2017, 10:33pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 12:33am
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

You have it backwards. Sony wanted to put out a deluxe version of Sandinista and suggested adding either Amsterdam (which would have been cool) or Jamaica (which would have made little sense). They sent CD’s to Gerry, including the full Amsterdam, but Mick felt that there was scant studio bonus material to make it worthwhile and so wasn’t interested. Who knows where those CD’s are now. :(

That Paris show is great. Has anyone heard Carla Bruni’s new version of Jimmy Jazz? I haven’t yet. The mind boggles.
Not heard it yet, but did hear her cover of the Stones Miss You and...how can I put it kindest...it seems not utterly terrible, not very good, just pointless. I can see with her weirdly laid back, monotone voice how she might have a stab at Jimmy Jazz, but Highway to Hell? Now the mind truly boggles.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

bazarboy75 wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 5:35am
Paris show is great
but Amsterdam could be the right choice if you ask me
Some powerful sandinista live material !

I remembered that there was kingston advice dub version mentionned for the bonus disk...
Yes I remember that being mentioned also. I wonder if it will see the light of day or we should make our own version. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 6:57am
or we should make our own version. ;)
Man i like this idea
Listen this one
Put our hand on the Sandinista multitracks...
I don't even know if 2 live could be enought...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

bazarboy75 wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 7:20am
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 6:57am
or we should make our own version. ;)
Man i like this idea
Listen this one
Put our hand on the Sandinista multitracks...
I don't even know if 2 live could be enought...
The Sandinista! multitracks is my dream.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 10:57pm
Low Down Low wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 10:51pm

I watched it only just last week. Got the DVD and it's a great energetic show.
Only downside is Mickey is practically inaudible.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

21 Sep 2017, 10:33pm

They sent CD’s to Gerry, including the full Amsterdam, but Mick felt that there was scant studio bonus material to make it worthwhile and so wasn’t interested. Who knows where those CD’s are now. :(

Holy shit. That's intriguing.

I'm trying to think what would make sense for Sony to put out. I'd love to see deluxe versions of all albums, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in that, even internally. Most of the few outtakes they have were released in the box, though we know things like "Blonde Rock and Roll" still haven't seen the light of day, officially. I'd love to see them do what Bruce finally started doing recently, putting out live shows on the cheap on Nugs.net or some format. Give them a decent mix job (ie, more than those horrid sounding live tracks from the Box) and then put them up for sale. No big promo push necessary. That being said, I don't know if there would be enough interest in the project to make it commercially viable, even with the smaller budget that approach would entail. Bruce is an active artist who still tours regularly, so there is ongoing interest in his live material, especially archival. Grateful Dead still has a lot of interest in their live back catalog, but that's pretty much all they were known for. The Clash are pretty much known for "London Calling" the album, SISOSIG, and Rock the Casbah, for all intents and purposes. Sure, you have that popular live footage of Clampdown and IFTL, but I just don't think there is much value to the company in pushing live archival releases. Anyone know how well Shea sold?

Lastly, they have to have the Lewisham multitracks. They grabbed Cap Radio and Armagideon Time for FHTE in 99. And English Civil War and Jimmy Jazz leaked around this time too with FHTE 2 bootleg (i'm assuming around that time, I don't really know much about the history of FHTE 2).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.