The Clash version of "Fire and Skill"!

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
101Walterton
The Best

Re: The Clash version of "Fire and Skill"!

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 2:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 1:50pm
Speculation/curiosity: How much does Joe's death factor into the band's lack of interest in bing more active caretakers in their legacy? If he were still with us, would the others regard the Clash as something meriting more celebration, or does Joe cast a bit of a shadow on all that? If he were all up for getting these shows cleaned up and released, would the others join in, or would he have been facing the same reticence?
Great question but difficult to answer unless from the horses mouth. I feel they have been very respectful of Joe's memory regards to any releases we've had up until now. This is why I believe we have not seen a cleaned up "Rat Patrol" release.
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought TeddyB said that all members were supposed to authorise new releases but as Joe is no longer here that can't happen.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 4:36pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Speculation/curiosity: How much does Joe's death factor into the band's lack of interest in bing more active caretakers in their legacy? If he were still with us, would the others regard the Clash as something meriting more celebration, or does Joe cast a bit of a shadow on all that? If he were all up for getting these shows cleaned up and released, would the others join in, or would he have been facing the same reticence?
Great question but difficult to answer unless from the horses mouth. I feel they have been very respectful of Joe's memory regards to any releases we've had up until now. This is why I believe we have not seen a cleaned up "Rat Patrol" release.
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought TeddyB said that all members were supposed to authorise new releases but as Joe is no longer here that can't happen.
That doesn't really make sense mate after all Sound System was released and others since Joe's passing. I'm not in the know who passes stuff for Joe's estate maybe Lucinda does. Perhaps TeddyB could kindly let us know.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 6:20pm
101Walterton wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 4:36pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That doesn't really make sense mate after all Sound System was released and others since Joe's passing. I'm not in the know who passes stuff for Joe's estate maybe Lucinda does. Perhaps TeddyB could kindly let us know.
True. Maybe it was in relation to stuff never previously or agreed to be released I.e. Rat Patrol

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Yes, Luce has a board vote, but she often defers to the judgement of Mick and Paul. The band has taken on a new management company, but all decisions are made by the group itself. Sound System was collaborative. Mick and Paul both felt it should not include post-Mick material. There is definitely consideration taken to the fact that Joe’s not here. It was important that Joe had already favored releasing Live at Shea. I would be surprised if they ever agreed to a release of Rat Patrol.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 2:51am
Yes, Luce has a board vote, but she often defers to the judgement of Mick and Paul. The band has taken on a new management company, but all decisions are made by the group itself. Sound System was collaborative. Mick and Paul both felt it should not include post-Mick material. There is definitely consideration taken to the fact that Joe’s not here. It was important that Joe had already favored releasing Live at Shea. I would be surprised if they ever agreed to a release of Rat Patrol.
So Teddy - what do you imagine the reasons are for not releasing pro-mix or even high quality soundboard gigs? Surely Joe would have approved these as they do nothing but expand and jack up the bands legacy, and would surely sell at least as well as FHTE and Shea Stadium. Especially Topper gigs.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

23 Sep 2017, 2:51am
I totally understand the non inclusion of any post-Mick material for Sound System. With Rat Patrol I also get the fact that it wasn't what the band as a whole wanted during their functioning term. However it's a real shame it's not released as double with the Glyn Johns material on one disc and the superb Mick mixes on a second disc. A cleaned up properly remastered version would be amazing and as Combat Rock sold really well I think it would do again as a deluxe edition.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 5:01am
I totally understand the non inclusion of any post-Mick material for Sound System. With Rat Patrol I also get the fact that it wasn't what the band as a whole wanted during their functioning term. However it's a real shame it's not released as double with the Glyn Johns material on one disc and the superb Mick mixes on a second disc. A cleaned up properly remastered version would be amazing and as Combat Rock sold really well I think it would do again as a deluxe edition.
Agree
+ That NY 12inch overpowered mix is really great
Get it with cool remastering could be cool
but also revelant
i mean we all know the tension between the members of the band but Mick "open mind Hip hop/ NY sound stuff" still something very interesting today.
Lot's of people get stuck in their punk early days which is cool but the Clash were more than that
+ I really dig outside broadcast. it surely not the most powerful Clash track but it very interesting for what the Clash was at the time
This part of their history should be more into light if you ask me
And as far as i like the punk era for the "meaning" musically their 1981/1982 period is far interesting to me

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 2:43pm
dave202 wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 1:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 10:38pm
20 Sep 2017, 9:50pm
The Clash have nowhere near the live vault the Jam has. They have pre-broadcast tapes for Jaap Edenhal ‘81 and Jamaica ‘82, and multi-tracks for Lyceum ‘79, two Bonds shows and the two from Boston ‘82. I’m not sure why the multi-tracks for the Concert For Kampuchea have never turned up, unless they are legally unavailable. I don’t think they have the complete Lewisham. Other broadcasts include Cleveland ‘79 and Chicago ‘79, neither of which sound great, and the Palladium in New York. That’s about it. The U.S. Festival is likely impossible. You all know no official release will include a show without Mick. Does anyone know if the Leicester ‘77 show was really recorded by the BBC, or is just a soundboard a bootlegger got hold of?
It's alleged when Johnny Green helped Mick move flat he helped himself to one of Mick's cassette tapes and then passed it onto a friend who in turn gave it to a bootlegger to press the vinyl album. I think Mick's tape was most likely a mixing desk tape. The BBC only had AM mono transmissions during the seventies so who knows.
The BBC had FM in the seventies on some channels, chiefly for classical and MOR stuff. However,. Radio One used the Radio Two FM facility for certain broadcasts, most notably In Concert and Sight And Sound In Concert which was broadcast at the same time as a TV set on BBC2. The John Peel Show, from 10pm to midnight was also in FM, and the Friday Night Rock Show which replaced his slot on the 2nd February 1979 (don't ask why I know the date, it is very sad).
Yes you are correct mate they (Radio 1) were only allocated FM instead of Radio Two on Saturday Afternoons, Sunday Evenings (1 Hour initially), Weekday evenings (10pm to Midnight) and UK Bank Holidays.

Radio One changed from AM to FM in 87/88.

I'm not convinced however that the tape is from the BBC especially after the fiasco regarding the Peel seesion they were meant to do. I think this tape (ahem) borrowed from Mick is a mixing desk/soundboard tape.
I agree. I used to listen to Radio 1's In Concert series almost every week from my mid-teens until much later, finishing at half seven it made for a good start to a Saturday night out if the gig was good. I would remember The Clash being on there, either hearing it, it being mentioned the week before, or the short series of repeats they did during the year. I could not have forgotten such a broadcast, and even if I did, at that time my whole crowd would be talking about it.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

bazarboy75 wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 6:13am

Agree
but also revelant
i mean we all know the tension between the members of the band but Mick "open mind Hip hop/ NY sound stuff" still something very interesting today.
Lot's of people get stuck in their punk early days which is cool but the Clash were more than that
+ I really dig outside broadcast. it surely not the most powerful Clash track but it very interesting for what the Clash was at the time
And as far as i like the punk era for the "meaning" musically their 1981/1982 period is far interesting to me
Totally agree, I rarely listen to anything before LC and even LC is played out for me, I now just listen to the remixes

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 1:42pm
bazarboy75 wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 6:13am

Agree
but also revelant
Totally agree, I rarely listen to anything before LC and even LC is played out for me, I now just listen to the remixes
No one likes remixes. ;) I'm working on an albums worth for yet another project. So far I have these in the bag :

01 - The Magnificent Seven [Go Again Remix] - 9 min 45 secs
02 - Lightning Strikes (Not Once But Twice) [Double Strike Remix] - 5 min 32 secs
03 - The Call Up [Cool Out Remix] - 5 min 8 secs
04 - This Is Radio Clash [Pirate Transmission Remix] - 9 min 40 secs
05 - Something About England [Old Albion Remix] - 4 min 14 secs

I've something like 7-8 Clash related projects on the go. All will be revealed in time.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

You are on FIRE mate! Be careful you're gonna hurt someone with this sonic bombardment!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
24 Sep 2017, 4:05am
You are on FIRE mate! Be careful you're gonna hurt someone with this sonic bombardment!
Ha! jusst me. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 8:53pm
No one likes remixes. ;) I'm working on an albums worth for yet another project. So far I have these in the bag :

01 - The Magnificent Seven [Go Again Remix] - 9 min 45 secs
02 - Lightning Strikes (Not Once But Twice) [Double Strike Remix] - 5 min 32 secs
03 - The Call Up [Cool Out Remix] - 5 min 8 secs
04 - This Is Radio Clash [Pirate Transmission Remix] - 9 min 40 secs
05 - Something About England [Old Albion Remix] - 4 min 14 secs

I've something like 7-8 Clash related projects on the go. All will be revealed in time.
Love the sound of this, can't wait for it.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Kory wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 1:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 10:57pm
Low Down Low wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 10:51pm
Paris 1980 is indeed a great shout, I fucking love that show. This is what I watch over and over and over:

I watched it only just last week. Got the DVD and it's a great energetic show.
DVD, eh? Where might others get their hands on such a physical product?
I can recommend this 3-DVD box set of loads of music from the Chorus TV series. Loads of acts are represented with just a song or two, but the full Clash set is included. And it's a legit release, sourced from the TV station's masters, so top quality.
TONS of rare stuff here - hopefully I've pasted the info/dates correctly but just read through this little lot, for some classic music acts from 1978-81. (Plus some French acts which may not mean much to some)
NB It's region-free, but I THINK is PAL-format only. Which is best image quality I think, but bad news if you have a NTSC-only player....

French TV station's official store:
http://boutique.ina.fr/recherche/boutique?search=chorus

or amazon sell it in their marketplace, but a bit pricier perhaps:

Tracklisting (gulp... this is long)
DVD by Various artists
Released Oct 5, 2010
Recorded from 1978 to 1981
Labe INA
Length 497:09
2010 DVD video from Chorus, 80's french TV rock music program

DVD 1
'Big live'
The Clash live at the "Palace", Paris (broadcast on 1980-03-02)
1.Jimmy Jazz
2.London Calling
3.Protex Blue
4.Train In Vain
5.Koka Kola
6.Fought The Law
7.Spanish Bombs
8.Wrong 'em Boyo
9.Stay Free
10.Janie Jones
11.Complete Control
12.Garageland
13.Tommy Gun
41:47

'Live Express'
(broadcast on 1978-10-15:)
1.Hhaï Magma
2.impro Magma
(broadcast on 1979-01-07:)
3.Flipper Téléphone
4.Le Vaudou (Est Toujours Debout) Téléphone
5.Hygiaphone Téléphone
(broadcast on 1979-12-16:)
6.At Night The Cure
7.Three Imaginary Boys The Cure
8.Killing An Arab The Cure
(broadcast on 1979-01-14:)
9.Pure Siouxsie and the Banshees
10.Switch Siouxsie and the Banshees
(broadcast on 1980-02-24:)
11.Rock'n'Roll High School Ramones
12.I Wanna Be Sedated Ramones
13.Do You Remember Rock'n'Roll Radio Ramones
14.She's The One Ramones
15.I'm Against It Ramones
16.Sheena Is A Punk Rocker Ramones
17.This Ain't Havana Ramones
18.Commando Ramones
(broadcast on 1981-02-28:)
19.Double Talkin' Baby Stray Cats
20.Rumble In Brighton Stray Cats
21.Ubangi Stomp Stray Cats
22.Fishnet Stockings Stray Cats
23.Stray Cat Strut Stray Cats
24.Storm The Embassy Stray Cats
25.I Sure Miss You Stray Cats
26.Runaway Boys Stray Cats
total length: 95:42

'Playlist'
1.This Is Pop (broadcast on 1978-12-10) XTC
2.Give Me Everything (broadcast on 1978-10-15) Magazine
3.Walking On The Moon (broadcast on 1979-12-23) The Police
4.When You're Young (broadcast on 1981-03-14) The Jam
5.One Step Beyond (broadcast on 1980-01-27) Madness
6.Hypnotised (broadcast on 1980-10-11) The Undertones
7.Rumble (broadcast on 1979-05-27) Link Wray
24:06
Ghost track
1."ITV Stray Cats" (broadcast on 1979-05-27)Stray Cats 6:01

DVD 2
'Big live'
ZZ Top live at "Pavillon Baltard", Nogent-sur-Marne (broadcast on 1980-04-26)
1.Nasty Dogs And Funky Kings
2.El Diablo
3.Cheap Sunglasses
4.Arrested For Driving While Blind
5.La Grange
6.A Fool For Your Stockings
7.Jailhouse rock
8.Tush
32:00

'Live Express'
broadcast on 1980-02-10:
1.Fatalité Trust
2.Le Mitard Trust
3.Monsieur Comédie Trust
4.Bosser Huit Heures Trust
broadcast on 1981-03-14:
5.David Watts The Jam
6.Private Hell The Jam
7.The Butterfly Collector The Jam
8.But I'm Different Now The Jam
9.When You're Young The Jam
broadcast on 1979-11-25:
10.Five Minutes The Stranglers
11.Shah Shah A Go Go The Stranglers
12.Ice The Stranglers
13.Down In The Sewer The Stranglers
broadcast on 1980-10-11:
14.Hannah Doot The Undertones
15.There Goes Norman The Undertones
16.See That Girl The Undertones
17.More Songs About Chocolate And Girls The Undertones
18.Male Model The Undertones
19.Hypnotised The Undertones
20.Under The Board Walk The Undertones
broadcast on 1980-01-27:
21.One Step Beyond Madness
22.My Girl Madness
23.Swan Lake Madness
24.Razor Blade Alley Madness
25.Night Boat To Cairo Madness
26.Madness Madness
broadcast on 1979-05-06:
27.Pasties And A G-String Tom Waits
28.I Never Talk To Strangers Tom Waits
29.Muriel Tom Waits
broadcast on 1979-12-30:
30.Rough And Ready Garland Jeffreys
31.Wild In The Streets Garland Jeffreys
broadcast on 1980-03-15:
32.Breakdown Tom Petty
33.American Girl Tom Petty
total length: 110:10

'Playlist'
1.Hygiaphone (broadcast on 1979-01-07) Téléphone
2.Little Girl (broadcast on 1979-09-30) Dogs
3.Betsy Party (broadcast on 1978-12-24) Starshooter
4.Cherchez Le Garçon (broadcast on 1981-01-24) Taxi Girl
5.Who Said Why (broadcast on 1979-12-16) Marquis de Sade
6.Rydeen (broadcast on 1979-10-28) Yellow Magic Orchestra
7.Heartbreaker (broadcast on 1980-10-25) Pat Benatar
22:38
Ghost track
TitlePerformer(s)Length
1.Untitled (broadcast on 1979-12-30)Garland Jeffreys1:22

DVD 3
'Big live'
The Police live at "Théâtre de l'Empire", Paris (broadcast on 1979-12-23)
1.Next To You
2.Truth Hits Everybody
3.Walking On The Moon
4.Hole In My Life
5.Fall Out
6.Bring On The Night
7.Visions Of The Night
8.Message In A Bottle
29:20

'Live Express'
broadcast on 1978-10-01
1.Lettre A La Petite Amie De L'Ennemie Public N°1 Jacques Higelin
2.Je Veux Cette Fille Jacques Higelin
3.Denise Jacques Higelin
4.Banlieue Boogie Blues Jacques Higelin
broadcast on 1978-12-17:
1.Mother Of Violence Peter Gabriel
2.Humdrum Peter Gabriel
broadcast on 1978-11-05:
1.Water Of Love Dire Straits
2.Lions Dire Straits
3.Sultans Of Swing Dire Straits
broadcast on 1979-06-24:
1.Stop Your Sobbing The Pretenders
2.Tattooed Love Boys The Pretenders
3.Mystery Achievement The Pretenders
broadcast on 1980-11-15:
1.Noawadays A Woman's Gotta Hit A Man Captain Beefheart
2.Best Batch Yet Captain Beefheart
3.Dirty Blue Gene Captain Beefheart
4.Safe As Milk Captain Beefheart
5.Flavor Bud Living Captain Beefheart
6.Bat Chain Puller Captain Beefheart
broadcast on 1979-06-10:
1.This Year's Girl Elvis Costello
2.Lipstick Vogue Elvis Costello
3.Watching The Detectives Elvis Costello
4.Pump It Up Elvis Costello
total length: 100:47

'Playlist'
1.Sex Machine (broadcast on 1979-11-25) James Brown
2.I Feel Good (broadcast on 1980-10-25) John Lee Hooker
3.Roxette (broadcast on 1979-11-04) Dr. Feelgood
4.Louie Louie Lew Lewis
5.May You Never (broadcast on 1979-11-25) John Martyn
6.Crazy Little Mama (broadcast on 1979-06-10) Jonathan Richman
30:01
Ghost track
TitlePerformer(s)Length
1.Untitled (broadcast on 1978-10-01)Kraftwerk3:15
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I think I have most of what's on that set but maybe not in the same quality. That is a great looking set. Is the Clash footage exactly the same as the stand alone DVD? The DVD I have has the gig with and without the intro from Antoine.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia