Marky Dread Remasters

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Marky Dread Remasters

Post by WestwayKid »

Can't even remember where I got this shirt. I think at a local record store about a decade ago. Made to look vintage - but fact that whoever made it was keen enough to use the "Sort It Out Tour 1978" tag is kind of cool. Image features just Joe, Mick, and Paul...and Paul is pointing a large handgun towards the camera. Might not have been the best time for Paul to be pointing a gun at anything!!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 6:01pm
Can't even remember where I got this shirt. I think at a local record store about a decade ago. Made to look vintage - but fact that whoever made it was keen enough to use the "Sort It Out Tour 1978" tag is kind of cool. Image features just Joe, Mick, and Paul...and Paul is pointing a large handgun towards the camera. Might not have been the best time for Paul to be pointing a gun at anything!!
Ah yes I know that image very well. Taken in rehearsal rehearsals.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Guns on the roof! ;)
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 6:43pm
Guns on the roof! ;)
Indeed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 2:41pm
laxman wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 2:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 9:13am
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 9:59pm
So Marky, the bootleg is actually from December 29th? Is it an audience tape? I never really knew that there was anything out there that wasn't from January 3rd. All of the official stuff I believe is from the gig on the 3rd, whatever the liner notes said, and I think it's the only one that was professionally recorded.
Yes it's an audience recording of sorts as you can hear someone coughing at one point between songs. However It's a high quality recording and very close to soundboard (better than some I've heard) sound to my ears.

The bootleg states the gig is from the 29th and the last 3 tracks from the 28th. However when I entered all the tracks into my software the tracks all merge into each other seamlessly all the WAV files of the same depth of image. This leads me to believe it is a complete show. I wonder if the original producer of the boot wanted to show tracks from both nights as the gig poster advertises both the 28th and 29th. Now it's still possible the tracks are a complete show from either night but not both. As the majority of the tracks 17 were labelled as being from the 29th I think it's fair to assume that's the correct date. I will be uploading this beauty later today.

Hi Marky, I know absolutely nothing about this sort of stuff, but is it possible that further back down the line someone worked on the tracks to equalise the WAV files i.e. they could have been from different sources originally?
I guess anything is possible. But this was the first ever CD boot I bought, I have had this one a very long time and it's a silver disc pressing. I doubt very much that it's had any work done to it (until now) by anyone. So my response would be no as I expect it's just the original tape transferred to disc. If it had been a dowload then I might think differently. You can EQ stuff to sound similar but a perfect match is very difficult. The tracks not only match perfectly they also sound like they are from the same show and shows from two different nights rarely sound the same especially as it's an audience recording . Also they are they correct tracks for the period set list. If there had been other tracks recorded on the night they would have turned up by now. If they had been damaged or poorly recorded then the other nights full gig would've surely also of turned by now in whatever condition they might exist. I am convinced it's all the same gig. Although it's an audience recording it's most likely a tape machine left somewhere on stage as all the instruments have separation and there is hardly any voices heard other than coughing after "Jail Guitar Doors" which could even be a band member.

Sounds very logical to me!

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 2:41pm
laxman wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 2:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 9:13am
27 Oct 2017, 9:59pm
So Marky, the bootleg is actually from December 29th? Is it an audience tape? I never really knew that there was anything out there that wasn't from January 3rd. All of the official stuff I believe is from the gig on the 3rd, whatever the liner notes said, and I think it's the only one that was professionally recorded.
Yes it's an audience recording of sorts as you can hear someone coughing at one point between songs. However It's a high quality recording and very close to soundboard (better than some I've heard) sound to my ears.

The bootleg states the gig is from the 29th and the last 3 tracks from the 28th. However when I entered all the tracks into my software the tracks all merge into each other seamlessly all the WAV files of the same depth of image. This leads me to believe it is a complete show. I wonder if the original producer of the boot wanted to show tracks from both nights as the gig poster advertises both the 28th and 29th. Now it's still possible the tracks are a complete show from either night but not both. As the majority of the tracks 17 were labelled as being from the 29th I think it's fair to assume that's the correct date. I will be uploading this beauty later today.

Hi Marky, I know absolutely nothing about this sort of stuff, but is it possible that further back down the line someone worked on the tracks to equalise the WAV files i.e. they could have been from different sources originally?
I guess anything is possible. But this was the first ever CD boot I bought, I have had this one a very long time and it's a silver disc pressing. I doubt very much that it's had any work done to it (until now) by anyone. So my response would be no as I expect it's just the original tape transferred to disc. If it had been a dowload then I might think differently. You can EQ stuff to sound similar but a perfect match is very difficult. The tracks not only match perfectly they also sound like they are from the same show and shows from two different nights rarely sound the same especially as it's an audience recording . Also they are they correct tracks for the period set list. If there had been other tracks recorded on the night they would have turned up by now. If they had been damaged or poorly recorded then the other nights full gig would've surely also of turned by now in whatever condition they might exist. I am convinced it's all the same gig. Although it's an audience recording it's most likely a tape machine left somewhere on stage as all the instruments have separation and there is hardly any voices heard other than coughing after "Jail Guitar Doors" which could even be a band member.
That'll do for me.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 12:14pm
Incoming!

Next up : Lyceum Theatre, London, U.K. : Dec 29, 1978

As promised earlier here's a very GEER heavy show which I believe to be a complete show. Remastered remixed blah blah blah...

Getcha Flac/Mp3 here!
https://mega.nz/#!qsVhCDKJ!I4tatFkIYp3x ... 7AiGYU2HG0
Anybody else download this?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 9:59am
Marky Dread wrote:
Incoming!

As promised earlier here's a very GEER heavy show which I believe to be a complete show. Remastered remixed blah blah blah...

Getcha Flac/Mp3 here!
Just finally got the chance to listen through it, been a bit busy as of late. But it sounds really great, Marky! The talk before Complete Control has always been interesting to me...does Joe have a balloon or something on stage? It sounds like rubbing plastic or latex together or something like that. Either way, its a really good and powerful show. Thanks again for all you do with these boots, mate.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

River wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 2:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 9:59am
Marky Dread wrote:
Incoming!

Getcha Flac/Mp3 here!
Just finally got the chance to listen through it, been a bit busy as of late. But it sounds really great, Marky! The talk before Complete Control has always been interesting to me...does Joe have a balloon or something on stage? It sounds like rubbing plastic or latex together or something like that. Either way, its a really good and powerful show. Thanks again for all you do with these boots, mate.
Yeah it sure sounds like a balloon to me being held up to the mike and stretched. Cheers.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BasingSt78
Corner Soul

Post by BasingSt78 »

Marky, This is the set list and sound mix that I find so pleasurable, carried over into the truncated Winter 79 USA tour. I've read so many Clash books they run together in my mind, but I recall Simmo saying the sound on the show recorded by the Stones portable studio was "duff." So out of the Lyceum stand only one show was professionally recorded? I have the "Flash Bastards" CD. It is not brilliantly crisp/clear, but more than good enough for these ears. I've lost some of my ability to hear high frequencies so I'm not the best judge. I'd love to hear a clean audience tape of another show from that stand. Audience tapes have been what sustain me over these almost 40 years. Comparing the version of the 14 May 77 Amsterdam show I got back in 1979 to the recently circulated upgrade makes it all worth it. Not that my 38 year old version was bad, it is quite decent in fact. A bit muddy from being dubbed hundreds of times (I would suspect.) Thanks for your work on this show which is very important to GEER era fans such as moi. BasingSt78

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BasingSt78 wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 3:52pm
Marky, This is the set list and sound mix that I find so pleasurable, carried over into the truncated Winter 79 USA tour. I've read so many Clash books they run together in my mind, but I recall Simmo saying the sound on the show recorded by the Stones portable studio was "duff." So out of the Lyceum stand only one show was professionally recorded? I have the "Flash Bastards" CD. It is not brilliantly crisp/clear, but more than good enough for these ears. I've lost some of my ability to hear high frequencies so I'm not the best judge. I'd love to hear a clean audience tape of another show from that stand. Audience tapes have been what sustain me over these almost 40 years. Comparing the version of the 14 May 77 Amsterdam show I got back in 1979 to the recently circulated upgrade makes it all worth it. Not that my 38 year old version was bad, it is quite decent in fact. A bit muddy from being dubbed hundreds of times (I would suspect.) Thanks for your work on this show which is very important to GEER era fans such as moi. BasingSt78
Cheers mate. Yep I remember reading Simmo saying that about the Lyceum gigs. I wonder if it was this one or the one on the 28th that was duff. Also makes me wonder when mobile studios are used if they run more than one tape deck simultaneously. Its a huge risk and expense to only have one running. This show is good sounding but obviously not good enough for soundtrack material.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

I downloaded it, Marky. Thank you. It’s a good tape but a bit redundant considering January 3rd.What was Paul talking about re the recorded gig? That the bass sound was clear enough to hear his mistakes? It was well-recorded and the tracks Bill Price mixed from it for consideration on FHTE all sound great.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

31 Oct 2017, 5:44pm
I downloaded it, Marky. Thank you. It’s a good tape but a bit redundant considering January 3rd.What was Paul talking about re the recorded gig? That the bass sound was clear enough to hear his mistakes? It was well-recorded and the tracks Bill Price mixed from it for consideration on FHTE all sound great.
Oh SNAP!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

31 Oct 2017, 5:44pm
Well sure compared to a pro source. But I think as a non pro source this tape stands up really well and has none of the distortion and edit problems of the Jan 3rd boot. Remember these are the boots we are comparing here and not what has become official releases years after the event. That would be an unfair comparison to make. If the official product didn't sound better than bootleg material there would be something seriously wrong.

I'm still wondering if the pro source tape of the 3rd was damaged and the boot was a copy of the master. I'm sure if the pro source was in great condition we would've got (W M) I H P for inclusion on the SS box. Also for the boot that has been doing the rounds for years that release has to have been put out there by someone very close to the band or connected to the film.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

They only used the songs that were mixed back in the day for the Live at the Lyceum section on Sound System. Bill Price mixed several tracks for FHTE. They used City of the Dead and IFTL and added Drug-Stabbing Time for the iTunes version of S.S. Also mixed were Safe European Home and Cheapskates. All are available from a dodgy cassette that ran too fast some one leaked that became FHTE 2. I’m not at all sure that the multi-track for Hammersmith Palais is damaged. I personally would have gone with one from Bonds cleaned up by Bill than the one Terry played on from Boston. Sony was emotionally or commercially invested in them using a lot from Boston, either because it was late period, or maybe they just liked it.

Wasn’t Paul complaining about the pro source tape, rather than the bootleg from that night?