Marky Dread Remasters

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Marky Dread Remasters

Post by Heston »

I'm gonna stick Tucson up to the top of the list, love the 83 shows (apart from the US Festival).
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 11:58am
I'm gonna stick Tucson up to the top of the list, love the 83 shows (apart from the US Festival).
That US Fest show is not as bad as I remember it but it sure does pale by comparison to that Tuscon show.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 12:12pm
Heston wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 11:58am
That US Fest show is not as bad as I remember it but it sure does pale by comparison to that Tuscon show.
Hello,

I had a copy of the Tuscon show for a while and really like it. This is a great upgrade - very sharp - it really pops (insert Finger-popping joke here)! Thanks, Marky!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Have a soft spot for US Festival given it was first tv footage I saw of the band playing live. Never watched it with any sort of discernible critical apparatus I have to confess. That said, Tucson isnt a show I'm all that familiar with so really looking forward to downloading and having a listen. Just listened to Jamaica for the first time in years and while it sounds great, the flat atmosphere just kills it for me.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Low Down Low wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 12:44pm
Have a soft spot for US Festival given it was first tv footage I saw of the band playing live. Never watched it with any sort of discernible critical apparatus I have to confess. That said, Tucson isnt a show I'm all that familiar with so really looking forward to downloading and having a listen. Just listened to Jamaica for the first time in years and while it sounds great, the flat atmosphere just kills it for me.
Tuscon includes a lot of special tunes: aforementioned Supermarket, but also Death or Glory and a rare Pete Howard Car Jamming.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 1:09pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Tuscon includes a lot of special tunes: aforementioned Supermarket, but also Death or Glory and a rare Pete Howard Car Jamming.
I really like the set list for the Tuscon show It's an enjoyable listen. The US Fest is OK but Joe has such a stick up his arse his comments just become iritating.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 1:24pm
matedog wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I really like the set list for the Tuscon show It's an enjoyable listen. The US Fest is OK but Joe has such a stick up his arse his comments just become iritating.
Interesting choice to end a show with Sound of the Sinners. And Car Jamming just two tracks ahead in what I assume is an encore.

Joe is a total trainwreck at the US Fest, but I still think they look cool as fuck. Watching that as a 14 year old I hadnt a clue what Joes beef was, just knew i wanted to be a fan of a band that looked that great on stage, like no other band I'd seen at that point quite frankly.

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
TBH I found Joe to be embarrassing to the point of cringe worthy at the US fest
Joining the Street Parade

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just want to chime in and echo other people's thanks and compliments. I'm not the Clash bootleg junkie like most of you, so I haven't been quite so ravenous with these efforts, but they are appreciated. And, especially, as others have said, the sleeve work is top-notch. Visually pleasing and, better yet, of a similar design, giving the sense that these albums are all part of a larger, cohesive series. It really does put to shame the efforts of commercial labels.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
The US Fest is OK but Joe has such a stick up his arse his comments just become iritating.
He always gets full marks for passion and engagement, but that show he's off the rails. Just incoherent rambling reflecting, to be fair, a mind that was spinning out of control.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 1:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:
The US Fest is OK but Joe has such a stick up his arse his comments just become iritating.
He always gets full marks for passion and engagement, but that show he's off the rails. Just incoherent rambling reflecting, to be fair, a mind that was spinning out of control.
Prefacing the 1984 theme:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 1:56pm
Just want to chime in and echo other people's thanks and compliments. I'm not the Clash bootleg junkie like most of you, so I haven't been quite so ravenous with these efforts, but they are appreciated. And, especially, as others have said, the sleeve work is top-notch. Visually pleasing and, better yet, of a similar design, giving the sense that these albums are all part of a larger, cohesive series. It really does put to shame the efforts of commercial labels.
Cheers boss. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 1:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:
His spiel isn't backed up by the music unfortunately. A slow and lumbering Clash that day. Joe looks hunched up and small, not the straight-backed figure of the early days.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

@ Dr. Medulla: I want to reassure you as far as I'm concerned,

1) I'm not a bootleg junkie because I prefer the official releases
2) If the bootlegs have a good recording and a good artwork, they are historical documents to support the official releases.
3) I often congratulate Marky Dread for one simple reason: because he deserves it

Have a nice day
:mrgreen:
Music is the only thing that matters

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

Those 1976 shows you've done are top quality and as always love the artwork on these.. kind of in the spirit of the first album...even feels like im in the crowd hearing transistor radios and pint glasses falling over.

Must have been great to see them in this period because nobody would have had a clue how great The Clash were gonna become and the styles of music that they would use.
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."