Marky Dread Remasters

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Marky Dread Remasters

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 1:55pm
Kory wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 12:47pm
Man, I wish I had time for all of these. I'm going to have to spend the weekend just downloading and saving for later.

Great track.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Last edited by Marky Dread on 19 Jan 2021, 7:52am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Despite my backlog I've gone straight to this latest show. Halfway through and it sounds great, I just wish the soundman had pushed the vocals up a little bit, though it may be the position of the taper. They are so tight around this time, if you married this with Joe's much improved 1982 live vocals you would have the perfect Clash show. So jealous of you being there Marky, I would give a year's wages to go back in time and be at this gig.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 5:18pm
Despite my backlog I've gone straight to this latest show. Halfway through and it sounds great, I just wish the soundman had pushed the vocals up a little bit, though it may be the position of the taper. They are so tight around this time, if you married this with Joe's much improved 1982 live vocals you would have the perfect Clash show. So jealous of you being there Marky, I would give a year's wages to go back in time and be at this gig.
Yeah I tried hard to push Joe's vocal a bit further up in the mix but it was detrimental to the overall sound. It's the best I can achieve with my software but the biggest bugbear was the speed. The original was 4% faster and that's the version on the Megalist which I assume is also taken from a vinyl boot.

I agree about the '82 vocals being some of Joe's best. It was a great gig and I was pretty close to the stage. Me and some mates had been heavily drinking all day and nearly didn't make the gig when I needed a piss. I nipped up a nearby alleyway only to be spotted by a copper. Who after much pleading with and apologising to let me off with a warning. Turns out he was a Clash fan also when I explained why I was there and he said he wanted to go but had not long started his shift. Not so much Police & Thieves more Police & Pisshead. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

chocolatejesus
Dirty Punk

Post by chocolatejesus »

I listened to Lyceum 79 today and joe barking with his sore voice "I dont give a flying fuck where the rich are going" in Garageland brought a big smile to my face.

keep em coming!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

chocolatejesus wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 3:44pm
I listened to Lyceum 79 today and joe barking with his sore voice "I dont give a flying fuck where the rich are going" in Garageland brought a big smile to my face.

keep em coming!
I compared the Lyceum '79 I uploaded against the live tracks from Sound System. Those SS tracks are all taken from the 3rd I can confirm. My upload runs too fast compared with the official release so I will re-do it at some stage.

I'm currently remastering the Lyceum gig from what I believe is the 29th of Dec '78. I've taken it from my Sort It Out CD bootleg (promo). BMC site claims that the last two tracks are from the 28th while the CD actually states the last three tracks are from the 28th. However I have looked at all the WAV files in spectral annalysis and all the tracks fit together seamlessly which leads me to believe all the 20 tracks on the CD are from the 29th.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 28 Oct 2017, 1:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BasingSt78
Corner Soul

Post by BasingSt78 »

Keeping the dream alive... great work mate! Do this geezer a favor and dig up a crisp Jan 31,1979 Vancouver BC Commodore Ballroom gig. I was there in 83, and you could roll in a cart with a reel to reel deck with no problem. Audio and video recording was permitted, the only verboten item was your own alcohol. Does anyone know if they drove a few hours South on I-5 and played the Paramount Theater in Seattle before the Geary Temple gig in S.F.? (I'm going by memory here, that was Feb 6?) That tour was so short, its a stretch to even call it a tour... By the Fall of 79, the sound mix and set list had changed, making the shows from earlier in the year even more important. I will search for these early 79 shows forever-- as a long time Stooges fan I never in my wildest dreams thought I would see a release like Rhino's epic ( no pun) "Funhouse". Every minute of tape extant from the album sessions, in perfect studio quality stereo; fantastic! I truly hope such Clash treasures will be released someday. Thanks again for all of your dedication and hard work. Basing St 78

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BasingSt78 wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 6:23pm
Keeping the dream alive... great work mate! Do this geezer a favor and dig up a crisp Jan 31,1979 Vancouver BC Commodore Ballroom gig. I was there in 83, and you could roll in a cart with a reel to reel deck with no problem. Audio and video recording was permitted, the only verboten item was your own alcohol. Does anyone know if they drove a few hours South on I-5 and played the Paramount Theater in Seattle before the Geary Temple gig in S.F.? (I'm going by memory here, that was Feb 6?) That tour was so short, its a stretch to even call it a tour... By the Fall of 79, the sound mix and set list had changed, making the shows from earlier in the year even more important. I will search for these early 79 shows forever-- as a long time Stooges fan I never in my wildest dreams thought I would see a release like Rhino's epic ( no pun) "Funhouse". Every minute of tape extant from the album sessions, in perfect studio quality stereo; fantastic! I truly hope such Clash treasures will be released someday. Thanks again for all of your dedication and hard work. Basing St 78
Thanks for the kind words mate appreciated. I hope that gig turns up and any other early '79 shows. I'm currently kicking back listening to the Lyceum 29th Dec '78 gig I've just remastered and it sounds awesome and it's blowing me away with its power.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

So Marky, the bootleg is actually from December 29th? Is it an audience tape? I never really knew that there was anything out there that wasn't from January 3rd. All of the official stuff I believe is from the gig on the 3rd, whatever the liner notes said, and I think it's the only one that was professionally recorded.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 9:59pm
So Marky, the bootleg is actually from December 29th? Is it an audience tape? I never really knew that there was anything out there that wasn't from January 3rd. All of the official stuff I believe is from the gig on the 3rd, whatever the liner notes said, and I think it's the only one that was professionally recorded.
Yes it's an audience recording of sorts as you can hear someone coughing at one point between songs. However It's a high quality recording and very close to soundboard (better than some I've heard) sound to my ears.

The bootleg states the gig is from the 29th and the last 3 tracks from the 28th. However when I entered all the tracks into my software the tracks all merge into each other seamlessly all the WAV files of the same depth of image. This leads me to believe it is a complete show. I wonder if the original producer of the boot wanted to show tracks from both nights as the gig poster advertises both the 28th and 29th. Now it's still possible the tracks are a complete show from either night but not both. As the majority of the tracks 17 were labelled as being from the 29th I think it's fair to assume that's the correct date. I will be uploading this beauty later today.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Last edited by Marky Dread on 19 Jan 2021, 7:53am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Can't wait to give it a listen and as luck would have it I'm wearing a Sort It Out T-shirt today! :mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 9:13am
Yes it's an audience recording of sorts as you can hear someone coughing at one point between songs. However It's a high quality recording and very close to soundboard (better than some I've heard) sound to my ears.

The bootleg states the gig is from the 29th and the last 3 tracks from the 28th. However when I entered all the tracks into my software the tracks all merge into each other seamlessly all the WAV files of the same depth of image. This leads me to believe it is a complete show. I wonder if the original producer of the boot wanted to show tracks from both nights as the gig poster advertises both the 28th and 29th. Now it's still possible the tracks are a complete show from either night but not both. As the majority of the tracks 17 were labelled as being from the 29th I think it's fair to assume that's the correct date. I will be uploading this beauty later today.

Hi Marky, I know absolutely nothing about this sort of stuff, but is it possible that further back down the line someone worked on the tracks to equalise the WAV files i.e. they could have been from different sources originally?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 2:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 9:13am

Hi Marky, I know absolutely nothing about this sort of stuff, but is it possible that further back down the line someone worked on the tracks to equalise the WAV files i.e. they could have been from different sources originally?
I guess anything is possible. But this was the first ever CD boot I bought, I have had this one a very long time and it's a silver disc pressing. I doubt very much that it's had any work done to it (until now) by anyone. So my response would be no as I expect it's just the original tape transferred to disc. If it had been a dowload then I might think differently. You can EQ stuff to sound similar but a perfect match is very difficult. The tracks not only match perfectly they also sound like they are from the same show and shows from two different nights rarely sound the same especially as it's an audience recording . Also they are they correct tracks for the period set list. If there had been other tracks recorded on the night they would have turned up by now. If they had been damaged or poorly recorded then the other nights full gig would've surely also of turned by now in whatever condition they might exist. I am convinced it's all the same gig. Although it's an audience recording it's most likely a tape machine left somewhere on stage as all the instruments have separation and there is hardly any voices heard other than coughing after "Jail Guitar Doors" which could even be a band member.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 1:30pm
Can't wait to give it a listen and as luck would have it I'm wearing a Sort It Out T-shirt today! :mrgreen:
Sort it out mate. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia