Marky Dread Remasters

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Marky Dread Remasters

Post by Marky Dread »

Last edited by Marky Dread on 19 Jan 2021, 7:55am, edited 2 times in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Listening to the pair of Clash 2.0 boots you've remastered for us and I have 2 comments. 1) The Clash 2.0 became a pretty good live band after they'd had some time to gel and 2) CtC could have been a decent enough LP if Joe hadn't bailed and let Bernie loose on the tapes.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 8:06pm
Listening to the pair of Clash 2.0 boots you've remastered for us and I have 2 comments. 1) The Clash 2.0 became a pretty good live band after they'd had some time to gel and 2) CtC could have been a decent enough LP if Joe hadn't bailed and let Bernie loose on the tapes.
They could never replace Mick but A Clash is better than no Clash. The songs deserved way better treatment than CtC.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Sorry. Live energy doesn’t necessarily make for a good record. The dodgy Clash were in over their heads, even with a few promising songs.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 10:25pm
Sorry. Live energy doesn’t necessarily make for a good record. The dodgy Clash were in over their heads, even with a few promising songs.
I think you are correct Teddy. But the album could've been so much better than what we got. In a world of crappy 80's music an alternative to go see a weaker Clash was still one of the better options available.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 10:31pm
05 Nov 2017, 10:25pm
I think you are correct Teddy. But the album could've been so much better than what we got. In a world of crappy 80's music an alternative to go see a weaker Clash was still one of the better options available.
I agree with you both. Clash 2.0 was never going to be Clash 1.0 as they could never replace Mick as a composer, song-writer, and live presence. The writing was on the wall once he was sacked, but it didn't have to end as bad as it ended. CtC is just so awful...largely, in my opinion, because Joe quickly lost interest and gave up and allowed Bernie complete control. Without Bernie, maybe Joe, Paul and the hired hands are at least able to release an album you can listen to without cringing.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I don't even listen to CtC. I would classify it as too terrible to even play. They could have at least bashed out a listenable album - one that wouldn't ever rise to the levels of what had come before it - but one you could at least listen to. CtC isn't even that. You can hear the songs in their un-Bernie-ized versions on the live recordings and recorded without the drum machines and other glop - just Joe, Paul, Nick, Pete, and Vince - it would not have been as terrible as CtC.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Post-Mick Clash don't really do it for me, either live or in studio, though I did like some of the tracks on Marky's last offering. Even when the band started to gel and played tight, there still seems something missing for me, maybe the sense that when Mick was around anything could happen and frequently did. The most obvious absence was his vocals, which left a void that couldn't be filled. That said, I'd still class seeing them in '84 as one of the best nights of my life, definitely better than never having seen the Clash at all.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Yes, of course CTC could have been better than what we got. Still, despite the awful truth that Bernie wanted to sit in “the comfortable chair, my chair” (as MJ put it) and Joe felt obligated for a variety of reasons to usher him in to it, there was a point of sorts to making a record that wasn’t just a decent reproduction of a live gig. Unfortunately, it didn’t turn out to be an improvement.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

06 Nov 2017, 3:48pm
Yes, of course CTC could have been better than what we got. Still, despite the awful truth that Bernie wanted to sit in “the comfortable chair, my chair” (as MJ put it) and Joe felt obligated for a variety of reasons to usher him in to it, there was a point of sorts to making a record that wasn’t just a decent reproduction of a live gig. Unfortunately, it didn’t turn out to be an improvement.
It's just so hard to believe that live guitar sounds and real drums was so not the order of the day. My theory is that Bernie taking control is a partial cover up that Joe didn't think the band could cut it. I mean why in the world would you let your manager produce your album?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Last edited by Marky Dread on 19 Jan 2021, 7:55am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! x infinity ;)

Seriously, I need to start listening to a lot more early Clash than I do, this is just the ticket.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 6:41pm

Seriously, I need to start listening to a lot more early Clash than I do, this is just the ticket.
A pleasure mate. I didn't intend to include this in my remasters but after playing around with it for a couple of days I felt it started to sound better than I thought it would. The original is a pretty lo-fi affair and although this isn't exactly hi fidelity it's not bad for late '77.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 6:53pm
Low Down Low wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 6:41pm

A pleasure mate. I didn't intend to include this in my remasters but after playing around with it for a couple of days I felt it started to sound better than I thought it would. The original is a pretty lo-fi affair and although this isn't exactly hi fidelity it's not bad for late '77.
Listened to it last night and really enjoyed it. Dont know the original but that sounds pretty good. The energy of the performance is incredible and it's almost as if the audience and the group are one at times. Only complaint is that as great as Police & Thieves is it ends too abruptly, should have rocked it out for at least another minute.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Thanks yet again Marky.