Marky Dread Remasters

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Marky Dread Remasters

Post by Heston »

ic1960 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 7:38pm
There is absolutely no doubt about it. The BAD gig was 7 October 1984 and I heard on the night that they had played their first ever gig the night before in Manchester. It was billed as a secret gig although the local Sheffield paper (the Star) ran a brief story in its Saturday entertainment guide tipping people off that Mick Jones new band was going to turn up and support the Alarm on the Sunday night. Even on the night it was not very clear what the name of the band was although people were suggesting BAD without knowing what it stood for, if anything. That date cannot be wrong - I started going to gigs in 1977 and have been to over 1,000, and I have a book listing every single band I have seen including supports by date and venue. So whatever records exist online I know the date is correct as I wrote it on my master cassette and in my book.
Great detailed information mate, cheers.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

ic1960 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 6:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 12:21pm
B.A.D. - Sheffield Leadmill, Sheffield, UK. 07-10-84 [3].jpgSo until we can find out a definite answer to when the first gig took place. Best have another remaster. The sound of this one is really good.

Sheffield Leadmill, Sheffield, UK. 1st October 1984.

https://mega.nz/#!v1MWWCKK!sMWuObgJFeir ... qqjJoa3I9A
Having just caught up on this enormous thread (and before I go on thanks for all the awesome time and effort that has gone into these remasters) can I just confirm that I saw BAD at Sheffield Leadmill on 7 October 1984 (supporting the Alarm) and indeed recorded the show myself....and I still have my master cassette in one of my boxes. Not exactly sure whether circulating versions derive from my recording or not. But it was always my understanding that this Sheffield gig was preceded only by a show the previous night in Manchester (probably the International). I am just downloading from the link provided to have a listen to a show I haven't heard for quite a lot of years!
Thanks mate and welcome you most are. Thanks for the confirmation of the date. Would you be able to digitize your tape or at least give it a listen to see how it compares. It would be nice if it was an upgrade.

Is it still possible the show we have listed from *Nightmoves, Glasgow 06/10/84 is still the very first B.A.D. gig and not Manchester. This would make more sense.

*Heston thinks this was at a much smaller venue above the Glasgow Apollo called "Penthouse".

TeddyB stated : "Mick thinks Sheffield was the first gig, and then they went to Glasgow, but then he’s not certain. Those were the first two BAD gigs, though, that much is certain."

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Much thanks to IC1960 for his story. Clever detective work going on. I'll ask MJ if he recalls they went to Manchester, or if a gig actually took place. He said "trip up North" and I shouldn't think he'd call Manchester the North, though it's certainly North of Notting Hill...

ic1960
Dirty Punk

Post by ic1960 »

I will try and find a way to digitise my BAD Leadmill tape and see how it compares and report back here. I also have a master tape of The Clash at Leicester in 1984 and a few Mescaleros gigs which I recorded.So I have some work to do! And whilst it is possible some of the existing circulating the shows I have as masters may have been sourced from my tapes, they were not digitised directly from my masters.

I can also confirm, having spoken to a mate of mine who was also at the BAD Leadmill gig, that the first BAD gig was DEFINITELY the night before in Glasgow. And my mate would know as he went to the first ever Clash gig at the Black Swan in Sheffield in 1976.....something we discussed with Joe Strummer when we met the guys on the Clash busking tour in Leeds in 1985, walking down to the Faversham Pub car park where they did a 45 minute set, interestingly outside Leeds University where none other than the Alarm were playing. And we made it back from seeing the Clash busking to see the Alarm play their set.

So hopefully that clears up a couple of points which may or may not have been in doubt!?

Heston

Post by Heston »

ic1960 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 8:08pm
I will try and find a way to digitise my BAD Leadmill tape and see how it compares and report back here. I also have a master tape of The Clash at Leicester in 1984 and a few Mescaleros gigs which I recorded.So I have some work to do! And whilst it is possible some of the existing circulating the shows I have as masters may have been sourced from my tapes, they were not digitised directly from my masters.

I can also confirm, having spoken to a mate of mine who was also at the BAD Leadmill gig, that the first BAD gig was DEFINITELY the night before in Glasgow. And my mate would know as he went to the first ever Clash gig at the Black Swan in Sheffield in 1976.....something we discussed with Joe Strummer when we met the guys on the Clash busking tour in Leeds in 1985, walking down to the Faversham Pub car park where they did a 45 minute set, interestingly outside Leeds University where none other than the Alarm were playing. And we made it back from seeing the Clash busking to see the Alarm play their set.

So hopefully that clears up a couple of points which may or may not have been in doubt!?
Brilliant info, cheers.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

ic1960 wrote:

Great stuff mate thank you. Look forward to hearing your tapes. Keep us informed of your findings please. If necessary I will be happy to remaster anything as required. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

ic1960 wrote:

Fantastic, thanks.

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

ic1960 wrote:

Thank you very much for the clarification.
Joining the Street Parade

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

deny wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 4:35am
ic1960 wrote:

Thank you very much for the clarification.
PS I have had a few beers in the Faversham in my time.
Joining the Street Parade

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Discussed this today with Mick, filling him in on the detective work here, and he now acknowledges Glasgow was the first BAD live performance, followed the next night by Sheffield. “Yeah, that’s right. Glasgow was the first. Then Sheffield.”

Thanks to ic1960. I told him you and your mate were there. He reflected on his Cavalry jacket, Paddington Bear hat (I always thought it more pirate-like) and Dalek’s handbag guitar. “Those were naive times”...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 5:36pm
Discussed this today with Mick, filling him in on the detective work here, and he now acknowledges Glasgow was the first BAD live performance, followed the next night by Sheffield. “Yeah, that’s right. Glasgow was the first. Then Sheffield.”

Thanks to ic1960. I told him you and your mate were there. He reflected on his Cavalry jacket, Paddington Bear hat (I always thought it more pirate-like) and Dalek’s handbag guitar. “Those were great times”... :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Glad the mystery has been solved. Thanks to all for their input.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Love the history lesson here, thanks all (and especially ic1960)!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

ic1960
Dirty Punk

Post by ic1960 »

Happy to have made my own small contribution to this fantastic community taking account of all the great recordings I have plundered from here. And hopefully I can offer some back shortly myself! I only wish I could find a recording of the Sheffield Top Rank gig in 1980 on the 16 tons tour which is one show I sent to which does not appear to have surfaced. but then again I was in touch with the guy who surfaced the Sheffield Lyceum recording from 1981 that had been in his loft for many a long year so who knows! Joe, Mick and the whole group meant so much to so many and there are so many great live recordings which still sound fantastic to this day. And it was great seeing Joe so many times with the Mescaleros......I was at their second ever show at the Liverpool Lomax (and I assume there is no recording of that?)....at the time we thought it was their first show but it had been superseded by their secret show in Sheffield so it wasn't after all. anyway I will see what I can do about getting some of my Clash/ Mescaleros master tapes onto digital format and report back in due course.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 7:21pm
Glad the mystery has been solved. Thanks to all for their input.
Still need to clarify the Glasgow venue.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia