Marky Dread Remasters

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
chocolatejesus
Dirty Punk

Re: Marky Dread Remasters

Post by chocolatejesus »

Thoughts about The agora show i listened to today:

1.What i love about this bootleg ist that The raw and distorted sound adds some Edge to The Show that their studio Sound especially in s/t lacks.

2. The Bass sounds fantastic Here - its a great showcase why simonon is - even though technically very Limited - one of my favourite bassists. His punchy and reggae infused playing comes Off great in this recording

3. Police &thieves is a highlight in earlier Sets

4. Fuck sony for not releasing more live-clash.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

chocolatejesus wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 6:50am

1.What i love about this bootleg ist that The raw and distorted sound adds some Edge to The Show that their studio Sound especially in s/t lacks.

2. The Bass sounds fantastic Here - its a great showcase why simonon is - even though technically very Limited - one of my favourite bassists. His punchy and reggae infused playing comes Off great in this recording

3. Police &thieves is a highlight in earlier Sets

4. Fuck sony for not releasing more live-clash.
Regarding 4, they should appoint Marky to produce some official releases. A box set like the recent Jam one would be a good start, with shows from throughout their career.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

chocolatejesus wrote:

Joe's guitar has some great meaty distortion. It usually sounds so thin and kind of weak. Not here.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

This was my first Clash bootleg bought as a cassette and I just soaked it all in, playing it dozens and dozens of times. My copy ran too fast so Joe sounded like he had a canister of helium to hand, but I (just about) managed to hear past that defect. Apart from the energy of the performance, and for me at the time, a faultless set list, I loved the stereo mix with both guitars clearly separated left and right in the mix- I love the way Joe introduces English Civil War while Mick is doing the chugging intro riff, then joe joins him on his guitar at twice the speed- and so when the song starts properly it’s a supercharged version.
I loved all the chat too- you can tell there was a lethal crush at the front; I was always intrigued by the reference to the people who’d sent ‘letters’ back stage... and the bit about ‘the guy with no legs’ .... and the piss taking about the American-English dictionary... it’s one of the next love documents I’ve ever heard, far more than a performance of some songs.
You don’t hear tuning up on stage like this any more, thanks to tuning pedals; I think this shows how much of a sweat box the venue was.
That audience member who published a book a few years ago about this very gig, with his photos and reminisces, did me a huge favour- he explains lots of events and details which joe describes.
Marky has done a great job with this one- maybe one day the master tapes will get another broadcast and the slight change in sound quality will be improved, but for now this is a must-have.
(There, will that do for my homework, mr Dread?!)
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 9:43am
chocolatejesus wrote:

Joe's guitar has some great meaty distortion. It usually sounds so thin and kind of weak. Not here.
I always liked Joe's dry, clangy sound. It contrasted so well with Mick's guitar. But yeah, it does sound great on here.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
chocolatejesus wrote:

Yep agreed it's pretty beefed up on this gig.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 12:24pm
matedog wrote:
chocolatejesus wrote:

I always liked Joe's dry, clangy sound. It contrasted so well with Mick's guitar. But yeah, it does sound great on here.
Yeah Joe's got that great rhythm with that scrapping sound that you can hear on some 50's records and even some older blues records. I'm convinced it's Joe playing Bo Diddley as the inspiration.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 12:14pm
This was my first Clash bootleg bought as a cassette and I just soaked it all in, playing it dozens and dozens of times. My copy ran too fast so Joe sounded like he had a canister of helium to hand, but I (just about) managed to hear past that defect. Apart from the energy of the performance, and for me at the time, a faultless set list, I loved the stereo mix with both guitars clearly separated left and right in the mix- I love the way Joe introduces English Civil War while Mick is doing the chugging intro riff, then joe joins him on his guitar at twice the speed- and so when the song starts properly it’s a supercharged version.
I loved all the chat too- you can tell there was a lethal crush at the front; I was always intrigued by the reference to the people who’d sent ‘letters’ back stage... and the bit about ‘the guy with no legs’ .... and the piss taking about the American-English dictionary... it’s one of the next love documents I’ve ever heard, far more than a performance of some songs.
You don’t hear tuning up on stage like this any more, thanks to tuning pedals; I think this shows how much of a sweat box the venue was.
That audience member who published a book a few years ago about this very gig, with his photos and reminisces, did me a huge favour- he explains lots of events and details which joe describes.
Marky has done a great job with this one- maybe one day the master tapes will get another broadcast and the slight change in sound quality will be improved, but for now this is a must-have.
(There, will that do for my homework, mr Dread?!)
It's weird when you've listened to those old boot tapes and you get so used to it playing too fast that it kinda feels normal.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

JohnS wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 12:14pm
it’s one of the next love documents I’ve ever heard, far more than a performance of some songs.
EDIT - bloody predictive text on my phone, while I was typing in a hurry . for 'one of the next love documents' read 'one of the best live documents'... :angry:

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 3:07pm
It's weird when you've listened to those old boot tapes and you get so used to it playing too fast that it kinda feels normal.
yeah... I've loved all sorts of rubbish-sounding boots over the years, either original vinyl, taped onto cassette versions, or even some re-booted CDs taken from vinyl, or knackered acetates and sub-par tape dubs, where massive upgrades have surfaced later... and these don't seem 'right' somehow. Well worth having of course but once your musical history is founded on inferior-sounding sources, these sometime will always have a personal sort of 'authenticity'
(Apart from insanely-speeded-up playback faults, that is.)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Last edited by Marky Dread on 19 Jan 2021, 12:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 9:21pm
Can't sleep, so my pain is your gain.

Brixton Academy, London, December 6, 1984.

Have to say that the opening "One More Time" is a killer version.
https://mega.nz/#!3gNSRIib!x4472s6CMlzx ... 5iOHf7T3j4
Wow. I went away for a few days and came to find I'm nine shows behind. I will catch up. I just downloaded them all and will start with, God help me I know I'm wrong, this Clash II show. Thanks, Marky, for this embarrassment of riches!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

appleseed1 wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 10:12pm
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 9:21pm
Can't sleep, so my pain is your gain.

Brixton Academy, London, December 6, 1984.

Have to say that the opening "One More Time" is a killer version.
https://mega.nz/#!3gNSRIib!x4472s6CMlzx ... 5iOHf7T3j4
Wow. I went away for a few days and came to find I'm nine shows behind. I will catch up. I just downloaded them all and will start with, God help me I know I'm wrong, this Clash II show. Thanks, Marky, for this embarrassment of riches!
Cheers mate I've another one for later today. So keep checking.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

2 excellent shows from 79, Cheers Marky!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 7:07pm
Incoming....take cover! Every Clash fan should have this one.

Agora Ballroom, Cleveland, Ohio, February 13, 1979.
https://mega.nz/#!Hh0jiJAT!NVlS5aHaIpFU ... mQoPCl3pAQ
I just don't think there is a better show possible for the pre-LC era Clash. Like I don't think it is theoretically possible to be a better display of the band in this era.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.