Preferred Cut the Crap tracklisting

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Preferred Cut the Crap tracklisting

Post by Marky Dread »

Imagine an album produced by Bill Price and with some of the demo ideas improved upon. So what tracks would you chose for your Cut the Crap track list.

Here's mine.

Side One :
01.Are You Ready For War?
02.Jericho (Ammunition)
03.Cool Under Heat
04.This Is England
05.North and South

Side Two :
06.Movers and Shakers
07.Rock 'n' Roll City
08.National Powder
09.Three Card Trick
10.In the Pouring Rain

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Preferred Cut the Crap tracklisting

Post by Heston »

We are the Clash
Are You Red...y
Cool Under Heat
Pouring Rain
Three Card Trick
North and South

Movers and Shakers
Pouring Rain
Dirty Punk
National Powder
Do It Now
This Is England
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Side One
This is England
Glue Zombie
Are You Redy
North and South
Sex Mad Roar

Side Two
Three Card Trick
Ammunition
Cool Under Heat
Dirty Punk
In the Pouring Rain

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 1:51pm
We are the Clash
Are You Red...y
Cool Under Heat
Pouring Rain
Three Card Trick
North and South

Movers and Shakers
Pouring Rain
Dirty Punk
National Powder
Do It Now
This Is England
I think Pouring Rain is pretty great also but I doubt I would put it on twice. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 2:51pm
Heston wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 1:51pm
We are the Clash
Are You Red...y
Cool Under Heat
Pouring Rain
Three Card Trick
North and South

Movers and Shakers
Pouring Rain
Dirty Punk
National Powder
Do It Now
This Is England
I think Pouring Rain is pretty great also but I doubt I would put it on twice. ;)
Ok, replace it with Play To Win.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Wow, it truly is weak sauce no matter how you cut it (lol). It shows how erratic and unfocused Joe's lyrics were becoming at this point. Scatter-shot phrases with references to military, drugs, the criminal underworld. A man out of cotext, as Christgau would later say about Earthquake Weather.

Also, "We Are the Clash"? Christgau thought it was brave. All that pill-poppers stuff? Did Joe or Kosmo come up with that? It all still reminds me about how shocked I was then I saw them in '84. I was expecting more from Joe. I am not objective, but it all showed how important Mick's ideas were behind the scenes. Mick however would quickly point out how his post-Clash work was less important without Joe. But then maybe they'd run their course anyway.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 4:56pm
Wow, it truly is weak sauce no matter how you cut it (lol). It shows how erratic and unfocused Joe's lyrics were becoming at this point. Scatter-shot phrases with references to military, drugs, the criminal underworld. A man out of cotext, as Christgau would later say about Earthquake Weather.

Also, "We Are the Clash"? Christgau thought it was brave. All that pill-poppers stuff? Did Joe or Kosmo come up with that? It all still reminds me about how shocked I was then I saw them in '84. I was expecting more from Joe. I am not objective, but it all showed how important Mick's ideas were behind the scenes. Mick however would quickly point out how his post-Clash work was less important without Joe. But then maybe they'd run their course anyway.
I don't mind the music for "We Are The Clash" but those lyrics are cringeworthy. I don't believe they had run their course I just think they had no off button. If they were able to say stop let's take a back seat here and reassess our situation. There was plenty of mileage left in The Clash and Joe should of been braver with Mick's new ideas and pushed the band onto new horizon's. They were no longer a punk band musically and hadn't been since GEER in my opinion they had extended their sound and that's what made them great. Tried and tested punk rock formula was old and becoming cliched and boring. The back to basic's approach was great for the busking tour but beyond that where were they going to go. I think Bernie at least realised this and tried to make them sound more modern more cutting edge and ended up really cutting the crap.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Side 1:

1. This Is England
2. This Is England
3. This Is England
4. This Is England
5. This Is England

Side 2:

6. This Is England
7. This Is England
8. This Is England
9. This Is England
10. This Is England

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 6:03pm
Side 1:

1. This Is England
2. This Is England
3. This Is England
4. This Is England
5. This Is England

Side 2:

6. This Is England
7. This Is England
8. This Is England
9. This Is England
10. This Is England
Yep someone was always going to do that.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 5:39pm

I don't mind the music for "We Are The Clash" but those lyrics are cringeworthy. I don't believe they had run their course I just think they had no off button. If they were able to say stop let's take a back seat here and reassess our situation. There was plenty of mileage left in The Clash and Joe should of been braver with Mick's new ideas and pushed the band onto new horizon's. They were no longer a punk band musically and hadn't been since GEER in my opinion they had extended their sound and that's what made them great. Tried and tested punk rock formula was old and becoming cliched and boring. The back to basic's approach was great for the busking tour but beyond that where were they going to go. I think Bernie at least realised this and tried to make them sound more modern more cutting edge and ended up really cutting the crap.
Tend towards the they'd run their course suggestion myself, though we'll never know for sure. You say they'd no off button Marky and I often felt that myself, but then I'm reminded that Joe had a 6 month break at least when he went AWOL and ran the Paris marathon, but what fat lot of good did that do? I think he was just mired in a creative slump in 84/85, angry and bitter about lots of things in ways that were anything but conducive to creating good art. And there are a lot of words that come to mind regarding WATC, brave is most definitely not one of them.

I'll never pass up the opportunity to defend Earthquake Weather, though. It's not great but it's Joe finding, very tentatively, a voice again. It's a good indicator of the way he has to go, an important first step towards the masterpiece that will be Global a go go. To my mind anyway. Its got the attitude and the ideas, just lacks the execution and the right people around him. In time, all of that will gloriously come together.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Side 1
1. This Is England
2. Jericho
3. Are You Red..y
4. National Powder
5. Cool Under Heat

Side 2
1. Three Card Trick
2. In the Pouring Rain
3. North and South
4. Movers and Shakers
5. Life Is Wild

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 8:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Tend towards the they'd run their course suggestion myself, though we'll never know for sure. You say they'd no off button Marky and I often felt that myself, but then I'm reminded that Joe had a 6 month break at least when he went AWOL and ran the Paris marathon, but what fat lot of good did that do? I think he was just mired in a creative slump in 84/85, angry and bitter about lots of things in ways that were anything but conducive to creating good art. And there are a lot of words that come to mind regarding WATC, brave is most definitely not one of them.

I'll never pass up the opportunity to defend Earthquake Weather, though. It's not great but it's Joe finding, very tentatively, a voice again. It's a good indicator of the way he has to go, an important first step towards the masterpiece that will be Global a go go. To my mind anyway. Its got the attitude and the ideas, just lacks the execution and the right people around him. In time, all of that will gloriously come together.
Um well Joe was only missing for 3 weeks in '82 on the advice of Bernie because allegedly ticket sales were low. It was a publicity stunt by Bernie that Joe decided to abuse by instead of going to Austin, Texas to visit Joe Ely as Bernie had suggested he went Paris and ran the marathon. If the band had of taken a 6 month break then reconvened then who knows.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 8:41pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Um well Joe was only missing for 3 weeks in '82 on the advice of Bernie because allegedly ticket sales were low. It was a publicity stunt by Bernie that Joe decided to abuse by instead of going to Austin, Texas to visit Joe Ely as Bernie had suggested he went Paris and ran the marathon. If the band had of taken a 6 month break then reconvened then who knows.
Ah yeah, I stand corrected on that. Its not much of a break in fairness. I think you have a point alright, but everything with the Clash had to be so frenetic and overblown, didn't it? Let's release a double album, no make it a triple. Let's release a single every month for the next year. Let's see how many time zones we can cross on the next grand tour etc etc. No off button, as you say.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Mick is tending these days toward the "we didn't know how to deal with success" idea. Not just personally, but in terms of the band's purpose and context. I reminded him that Joe himself said they were musicians and not politicians. I agree that Mick's radar in terms of the multi-cultural aspects was on target (though some would say cultural appropriation), but if Joe wasn't feeling it, well, that's an issue. On the other hand, Joe couldn't relate to the Oi kids either, so that was inane. John Lydon would say he couldn't really relate to the kids in '76 either!

Don't talk shop... fingerpop! What in the bloody hell?

"The Bottom Line" made much more sense, but in a way it might have made the most sense as their farewell?

Edit: Just noticing that Life is Wild sounds a bit like U.S. North...
Last edited by TeddyB Not Logged In on 30 Aug 2017, 9:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 8:57pm
Marky Dread wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 8:41pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Ah yeah, I stand corrected on that. Its not much of a break in fairness. I think you have a point alright, but everything with the Clash had to be so frenetic and overblown, didn't it? Let's release a double album, no make it a triple. Let's release a single every month for the next year. Let's see how many time zones we can cross on the next grand tour etc etc. No off button, as you say.
I remember Joe with that "I May Take A Holiday" sprayed on his guitar. If only Joe if only.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia