First bootleg you heard

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
white man
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 717
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:12pm
Location: Penshaw Manor

Re: First bootleg you heard

Post by white man » 23 Jul 2017, 4:39am

New York Palladium 1979. Think i was a bit spoilt, as it was SBD and i thought all boots would be this good. Imagine my surprise.

Image

Toppers Boppers
User avatar
Dirty Punk
Posts: 131
Joined: 18 Nov 2009, 5:52am
Location: Gates Of The West (country)

Re: First bootleg you heard

Post by Toppers Boppers » 23 Jul 2017, 5:20pm

I seem to remember buying a few tapes from someone selling boots in the back of the NME/Sounds - the Agora Ballrom 1979 and New Jersey 1980 were standouts and always on my deck. The first physical vinyl boot I got was a copy of 'Up And At 'Em' (Paris live 1981) that I bought in the queue waiting to see one of the Casbah Club shows at the Brixton Fair Deal in July 82, a warped but at least a playable copy.
'On the tenterhooks of a Cincinnati.'

coffeepotman
Junco Partner
Posts: 471
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: First bootleg you heard

Post by coffeepotman » 03 Aug 2017, 2:21pm

My first was called Police (and Fireman) on my Back and I think it was the Agora 1979, totally blew me away. I remember I had to mail away to NY for it and it took forever to arrive. Might have been red vinyl, don't remember

lanini66
Corner Soul
Posts: 48
Joined: 13 May 2009, 11:31am

Re: First bootleg you heard

Post by lanini66 » 26 Sep 2017, 3:12am

Impossible Mission live in Italy 81, the one with the cover stolen from Killing Joke first LP, bought in real time (late spring 81). a messed-up, hissy, echo-friendly beautiful record. I still have it.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4201
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: First bootleg you heard

Post by muppet hi fi » 26 Sep 2017, 5:37am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 6:12pm
Image
Hammersmith Odeon, 27 Dec 79. Bought this one for around $50 in 1988 or so. Don't recall specific impressions, but I wasn't especially wowed by it, but that can be almost entirely attributed to the fact that at that time I preferred studio versions by any band.
My first as well, (sometime in 1980) and was blown away by it. I realized later that it ran a bit fast (Inder sent me the speed corrected version on the old board). Still can't believe the multi-tracks haven't been released or even discovered. Fucking Chris Thomas and Bill Price producing/engineering? Does sound get any tougher? And they were only able to release one bloody song from the gig?

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26079
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: First bootleg you heard

Post by Heston » 26 Sep 2017, 5:45am

muppet hi fi wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 5:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 6:12pm
Image
Hammersmith Odeon, 27 Dec 79. Bought this one for around $50 in 1988 or so. Don't recall specific impressions, but I wasn't especially wowed by it, but that can be almost entirely attributed to the fact that at that time I preferred studio versions by any band.
My first as well, (sometime in 1980) and was blown away by it. I realized later that it ran a bit fast (Inder sent me the speed corrected version on the old board). Still can't believe the multi-tracks haven't been released or even discovered. Fucking Chris Thomas and Bill Price producing/engineering? Does sound get any tougher? And they were only able to release one bloody song from the gig?
The pro-audio Bankrobber and London Calling leaked a couple of years back.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9976&hilit=blockheads
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1345
Joined: 07 Jul 2008, 7:56am
Location: Dundee Scotland

Re: First bootleg you heard

Post by dave202 » 26 Sep 2017, 11:49am

Kory wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 7:14pm
My first was technically Rat Patrol, but the first live one was 9.21.79 at the Palladium. As I recall, it blew me away. It would be many more years before I'd learn to hate them.
Mine was the Palladium gig too, on a cassette from some long-gone record shop in Edinburgh, bought in 1983 I believe. Mind you, I'd 'bought' a Supertramp live bootleg disc from a girlfriend and paid way over the top at a fiver in 1980 for something which I don't think I was ever able to play once. I knew someone with a second hand record shop and he flogged it for £12, giving me half and leaving me with enough profit for couple of beers!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7338
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: First bootleg you heard

Post by Kory » 26 Sep 2017, 12:23pm

dave202 wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 11:49am
Kory wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 7:14pm
My first was technically Rat Patrol, but the first live one was 9.21.79 at the Palladium. As I recall, it blew me away. It would be many more years before I'd learn to hate them.
Mine was the Palladium gig too, on a cassette from some long-gone record shop in Edinburgh, bought in 1983 I believe. Mind you, I'd 'bought' a Supertramp live bootleg disc from a girlfriend and paid way over the top at a fiver in 1980 for something which I don't think I was ever able to play once. I knew someone with a second hand record shop and he flogged it for £12, giving me half and leaving me with enough profit for couple of beers!
It's hard to shake a stick at that. I hope the beers were good!
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35312
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: First bootleg you heard

Post by Marky Dread » 27 Sep 2017, 1:30am

Used to buy a shit ton of live tapes from two guys in Kensington Market. My first Clash tape was probably the Polydor demos which also had some GEER demos and those two versions of Heartbreak Hotel which were really just Joe and guitar recorded back in his 101ers days in Orsett Terrace '75. The next tape was the Palladium '79. My first vinyl Clash bootleg was the one with a drawing of Mick Jones holding a dead guy in his hand.
Image
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14794
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: First bootleg you heard

Post by 101Walterton » 27 Sep 2017, 6:06am

The first I heard was Spunk which I then bought off the guy who had it.
I think the first Clash boot I heard was GEED.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14794
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: First bootleg you heard

Post by 101Walterton » 27 Sep 2017, 6:07am

Or could have been Golden Bullets (or something like that)?

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35312
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: First bootleg you heard

Post by Marky Dread » 27 Sep 2017, 6:10am

101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 6:06am
The first I heard was Spunk which I then bought off the guy who had it.
I think the first Clash boot I heard was GEED.
Yeah Spunk and Indecent Exposure were my first two vinyl bootlegs. Then the Clash stuff.
Image
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14794
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: First bootleg you heard

Post by 101Walterton » 27 Sep 2017, 6:13am

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 6:10am
101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 6:06am
The first I heard was Spunk which I then bought off the guy who had it.
I think the first Clash boot I heard was GEED.
Yeah Spunk and Indecent Exposure were my first two vinyl bootlegs. Then the Clash stuff.
I also had a Slaughter and the Dogs boot in a plain white sleeve with stencil on front (very similar to cover of Spunk) don't know what happened to it though.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35312
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: First bootleg you heard

Post by Marky Dread » 27 Sep 2017, 6:55am

101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 6:13am
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 6:10am
101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 6:06am
The first I heard was Spunk which I then bought off the guy who had it.
I think the first Clash boot I heard was GEED.
Yeah Spunk and Indecent Exposure were my first two vinyl bootlegs. Then the Clash stuff.
I also had a Slaughter and the Dogs boot in a plain white sleeve with stencil on front (very similar to cover of Spunk) don't know what happened to it though.
Where Have All the Bootlegs Gone? ;)
Image
Image

white man
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 717
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:12pm
Location: Penshaw Manor

Re: First bootleg you heard

Post by white man » 27 Sep 2017, 7:02am

101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 6:06am
The first I heard was Spunk which I then bought off the guy who had it.
I think the first Clash boot I heard was GEED.
Thought this was just Clash related :huh: . In that case Spunk was my first then NY 1979 first live Clash.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Marky Dread, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests