First bootleg you heard

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: First bootleg you heard

Post by WestwayKid »

What is interesting to me is that I didn't really get into boots until the internet had exploded. I was born in 1977, so while I'm not exactly a kid - I missed out on the early days of having to really search for bootlegs. Yes, in the very final days before you could grab whatever you wanted on the internet I would scour the local indie music shop for bootlegs - usually cruddy sounding cassettes - but they were not easy to come by.

The internet opened so many doors for me and when I really started to look - I had the benefit of being able to go online and ask my fellow fans what were the best boots to go after. In the case of The Clash, I was pointed towards Japp Edenhall, but it was never hard to track down. I just had to do a little searching and eventually came across a kind soul who sent me the files across the world wide web.

We really are blessed to have such ready access to so many recordings these days. There are hundreds of Clash recordings available at the click of a mouse and that is great, but I'd also think a bit sad because the awe of discovery is gone - chancing on some rare recording in the racks and snatching it out in triumph like you'd just found some long lost treasure.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 10:57am
What is interesting to me is that I didn't really get into boots until the internet had exploded. I was born in 1977, so while I'm not exactly a kid - I missed out on the early days of having to really search for bootlegs. Yes, in the very final days before you could grab whatever you wanted on the internet I would scour the local indie music shop for bootlegs - usually cruddy sounding cassettes - but they were not easy to come by.

The internet opened so many doors for me and when I really started to look - I had the benefit of being able to go online and ask my fellow fans what were the best boots to go after. In the case of The Clash, I was pointed towards Japp Edenhall, but it was never hard to track down. I just had to do a little searching and eventually came across a kind soul who sent me the files across the world wide web.

We really are blessed to have such ready access to so many recordings these days. There are hundreds of Clash recordings available at the click of a mouse and that is great, but I'd also think a bit sad because the awe of discovery is gone - chancing on some rare recording in the racks and snatching it out in triumph like you'd just found some long lost treasure.
I think the net is great that these things are easier to come by. However I think it's also important to respect the fact that although that cool bootleg is just a click of a mouse away the person who uploaded originally spent a lot of time/effort (and probably money) tracking it down and converting it etc. It's why I spend so much time cleaning these things up in order keep them in the best form possible and to give a little back. I've spent thousands of pounds on music through the years and I share everyhing I have across the net freely so others can benefit and to stop them listening to fucking Justin Bieber records. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

white man wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 7:02am
101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 6:06am
The first I heard was Spunk which I then bought off the guy who had it.
I think the first Clash boot I heard was GEED.
Thought this was just Clash related :huh: . In that case Spunk was my first then NY 1979 first live Clash.
Yes shame on me for slight thread drift 😊
I only posted that because Spunk is probably the most reknown boot out there (well certainly was at the time) and because I didn't hear a Clash boot until years later.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I'm not quite sure (Che?) but I'm pretty sure I got it from someone on the old Jeff Dove site.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 1:30am
Used to buy a shit ton of live tapes from two guys in Kensington Market. My first Clash tape was probably the Polydor demos which also had some GEER demos and those two versions of Heartbreak Hotel which were really just Joe and guitar recorded back in his 101ers days in Orsett Terrace '75. The next tape was the Palladium '79. My first vinyl Clash bootleg was the one with a drawing of Mick Jones holding a dead guy in his hand.
This one : Recorded live at the Lochem Festival, 10/5/1982 ...sounded like shit.
Attachments
live_lp_400.JPG
live_lp_400.JPG (65.52 KiB) Viewed 4465 times
live_lp_back.JPG
live_lp_back.JPG (36.26 KiB) Viewed 4465 times
Last edited by Marky Dread on 01 Oct 2017, 3:11am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Double post.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Terry Chimes on drums!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 6:33am
Terry Chimes on drums!
I remember buying that and the Sex Pistols bootleg "Anarchy in the USA" album on Happy Porpak records. I couldn't wait to get home from the record fair feeling chuffed as little meatballs with my purchase only to have my dreams shattered. The Clash boot was just about listenable while the Pistols one was so poor it was unreal. At least I had a nice record cover to stare at. :disshame:

Record fair bloody record unfair I reckon. Did I learn from my purchase...nope did I fuck I bought so many crap boots it beggars belief. :lol:
Attachments
anarchyintheusa86_lp_950.jpg
anarchyintheusa86_lp_950.jpg (144.4 KiB) Viewed 4446 times
anarchyintheusa86_lp_back_950.jpg
anarchyintheusa86_lp_back_950.jpg (162.28 KiB) Viewed 4446 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Definitely a good record cover. Have you got a decent version of the recording now?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 7:30am
Definitely a good record cover. Have you got a decent version of the recording now?
Yeah I've got all the Pistols stuff in as good a version as possible. I sold off the majority of my Pistols boots last year.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

The Baker
Dirty Punk

Post by The Baker »

The Snotty Snail label bootleg cd set called ‘This Is Radio Clash’, which contains the Bonds ‘81 fm stereo radio broadcast as well as some other miscellaneous stuff.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 3:09am
Marky Dread wrote:
Used to buy a shit ton of live tapes from two guys in Kensington Market. My first Clash tape was probably the Polydor demos which also had some GEER demos and those two versions of Heartbreak Hotel which were really just Joe and guitar recorded back in his 101ers days in Orsett Terrace '75. The next tape was the Palladium '79. My first vinyl Clash bootleg was the one with a drawing of Mick Jones holding a dead guy in his hand.
This one : Recorded live at the Lochem Festival, 10/5/1982 ...sounded like shit.
Was that the soundboard? Or audience? I’ve only ever heard the crystal clear soundboard.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 12:21am
Marky Dread wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Was that the soundboard? Or audience? I’ve only ever heard the crystal clear soundboard.
Are you refering to Lochem? If so I've no idea other than it was one of the worst sounding boots I had bought other than the awful Pistols one I previously mentioned.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I bought a cd-r of Lochem back in the 90s and my recollection was that it was a very nice soundboard.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 9:07am
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I bought a cd-r of Lochem back in the 90s and my recollection was that it was a very nice soundboard.
Oh yes mate I know the Lochem gig exist in very nice sound on CD (R) I have it also. But when I bought that vinyl boot it was 1982 and to my knowledge it wasn't available then on CD and I'm not even sure CD-R's were available then. Anyhow great sound on the CD-R but a shit performance as the band are in dissaray stoned out their nuggets.

Toppers last gig. :disshame:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia