Best Clash book

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Best Clash book

Post by JohnS »

I've always had a soft spot for Johnny Green's book, but then again (ahem) my copy is signed by him, Ray Lowry and Joe Strummer.
Yours, phoning up a locksmith to fit extra security on my doors and windows,
etc etc
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 12:32pm
I've always had a soft spot for Johnny Green's book, but then again (ahem) my copy is signed by him, Ray Lowry and Joe Strummer.
etc etc
I know where you live and when you sleep.

Now I'm round the back of your house at night
Peeping in the window - are you sleeping tight?
I laugh at your locks with my celloid strip
An' you won't know who came

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JohnS wrote:
etc etc
Swap you for my signed copy of Chris Knowles book?

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 10:06am
white man wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 10:03am
deny wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 7:37am
I'm currently reading Combat Ready by Tim Satchwell which I am enjoying. The era and press releases described remind me of my youth and at the age of 14 buying Combat Rock on the day of it's release - May 14th 1982 in the Uk. It is always nice to read something from a fellow Clash fan. Many thanks Tim.

I have always liked Before and After and I prefer it to Bob Gruen's book which is still very good.
CR is an excellent read. Just purchased a signed BG book for £20 on Ebay.
Yeah I enjoyed Combat Ready also. I've got that BG book but it's not signed so can you sign it for me. ;)
It's the least i could do.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
white man wrote:
deny wrote:
I'm currently reading Combat Ready by Tim Satchwell which I am enjoying. The era and press releases described remind me of my youth and at the age of 14 buying Combat Rock on the day of it's release - May 14th 1982 in the Uk. It is always nice to read something from a fellow Clash fan. Many thanks Tim.

I have always liked Before and After and I prefer it to Bob Gruen's book which is still very good.
Yeah I enjoyed Combat Ready also. I've got that BG book but it's not signed so can you sign it for me. ;)
If you could sign it Simon Grayson that would make it rarer. Fuck it you may as well sign it Larry Grayson. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

101Walterton wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:25pm
JohnS wrote:
etc etc
Sorry mate, I think my copy is signed by CK already!!
And I have the Bob Gruen photo book, signed by him. And three of original Ray Lowry cartoons from Johnny Green's book (a small art gallery in Camden had a Ray Lowry exhibition round about the time the book was published)
And... er.... the Sound System box, signed by Mick (I bought the set from the Clash pop-up shop they opened up in Soho for a few weeks when the remasters / Sound System/ Clash Hits Back stuff was reissued, and he happened to be in there at the time!)

BUT... back on topic, the best Clash books for me were/are:
1) Before & After - the ONLY Clash book for a few years and it set their visual 'style/image' up like no written words could.
2) The Last Gang In Town - the first 'real' biography, long overdue after years of basic quotes/interviews scrapbooks. I think this was revised/rewritten twice?
3) Johnny Green's book - first hand stories, some of which we'd heard, many not. I bought my copy from the Helter Skelter bookshop (long gone) which often sold rare/signed copies of music books. This was pre-signed by Ray Lowry, Johnny (in green ink) and the bloke who co-wrote it with Johnny whose name I forget (sorry mate). I read it in one sitting I think.
A couple of years later I got it signed by Joe at a Mescaleros in-store gig at the HMV megasatore. Maybe he was making polite conversation but when he saw the book I was presenting to him, straightaway he said 'this is the best book about the Clash, ever, mate, the best one...'

NB beware the second edition of this book, cos someone at the printers messed it up - the cartoons are all scanned and printed at a lower resolution than the original and look crap.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
JohnS wrote:
etc etc
And I have the Bob Gruen photo book, signed by him. And three of original Ray Lowry cartoons from Johnny Green's book (a small art gallery in Camden had a Ray Lowry exhibition round about the time the book was published)
And... er.... the Sound System box, signed by Mick (I bought the set from the Clash pop-up shop they opened up in Soho for a few weeks when the remasters / Sound System/ Clash Hits Back stuff was reissued, and he happened to be in there at the time!)

1) Before & After - the ONLY Clash book for a few years and it set their visual 'style/image' up like no written words could.
2) The Last Gang In Town - the first 'real' biography, long overdue after years of basic quotes/interviews scrapbooks. I think this was revised/rewritten twice?
3) Johnny Green's book - first hand stories, some of which we'd heard, many not. I bought my copy from the Helter Skelter bookshop (long gone) which often sold rare/signed copies of music books. This was pre-signed by Ray Lowry, Johnny (in green ink) and the bloke who co-wrote it with Johnny whose name I forget (sorry mate). I read it in one sitting I think.
A couple of years later I got it signed by Joe at a Mescaleros in-store gig at the HMV megasatore. Maybe he was making polite conversation but when he saw the book I was presenting to him, straightaway he said 'this is the best book about the Clash, ever, mate, the best one...'

NB beware the second edition of this book, cos someone at the printers messed it up - the cartoons are all scanned and printed at a lower resolution than the original and look crap.
I'm not an autograph guy to be honest. It's great if that's what people like but it don't really do much for me. When I first met Joe my mate was like fuck you love The Clash why didn't you get his autograph or something. I was like nope I met Joe Strummer and we shook hands and talked for a while and if no fucker wants to believe then who cares. And I don't want anyone scribbling on my precious Clash stuff! ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:57pm
I'm not an autograph guy to be honest. It's great if that's what people like but it don't really do much for me. When I first met Joe my mate was like fuck you love The Clash why didn't you get his autograph or something. I was like nope I met Joe Strummer and we shook hands and talked for a while and if no fucker wants to believe then who cares. And I don't want anyone scribbling on my precious Clash stuff! ;)
Yeah I know what you mean - despite my haul I'm not one to chase these things obsessively, certainly not ones that are pre-signed and you had nothing to do with it (all that certificate of authenticity crap on eBay strikes me as, er, not worth the paper it's written on)
If I'm buying a book and there's a choice of some copies signed by the author, or unsigned, I'll go for a signed one. Getting Joe and Mick to scribble on stuff for me was great but I agree, that was just the icing on the cake and I value much more the chance I had to chat each time and shake hands. The signatures are just a bonus memento of the occasion.

That front door lock is staying on, mind.... :mrgreen:

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I nabbed a handful of original gig posters and handbills on eBay around 2000/2001, just before prices shot up ( 😭 ) — I should try to digitize them somehow. I think I have a few press kits and things as well.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
JohnS wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
JohnS wrote:
etc etc

Am the same. I did the obligatory meet Joe after one of the gigs, he signed the copy of Global i was carrying which is lost, probably forever, amongst my endlessly growing pile of mostly useless clutter. I have to say he was cranky as fuck (he was moaning to some stagehand about his favourite pair of jeans having gone missing or something) but I didn't hold that against him as I was probably the 50th mug he'd had to sign something for and pose for photo with that night alone. Besides that may well be the effect i have on people anyway ;)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 3:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Yeah I know what you mean - despite my haul I'm not one to chase these things obsessively, certainly not ones that are pre-signed and you had nothing to do with it (all that certificate of authenticity crap on eBay strikes me as, er, not worth the paper it's written on)
If I'm buying a book and there's a choice of some copies signed by the author, or unsigned, I'll go for a signed one. Getting Joe and Mick to scribble on stuff for me was great but I agree, that was just the icing on the cake and I value much more the chance I had to chat each time and shake hands. The signatures are just a bonus memento of the occasion.

Now that is a great attitude. I like that, yeah I guess sometimes having a cake with a cherry on top is better than just having a plain cake. Of course you've gotta like cherries. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:46pm
white man wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
white man wrote:
deny wrote:

If you could sign it Simon Grayson that would make it rarer. Fuck it you may as well sign it Larry Grayson. :mrgreen:
Larrry would have been a better choice had he been alive. Shut that door on your way out of the Championship.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 6:20pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:46pm
white man wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
white man wrote:

Larrry would have been a better choice had he been alive. Shut that door on your way out of the Championship.
I'm laughing and feel I shouldn't be but... :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I think Before and After is my favorite if only because it turns out Mick and Joe are hilarious. Paul...well. He seems to like ants.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 2:23pm
I think Before and After is my favorite if only because it turns out Mick and Joe are hilarious. Paul...well. He seems to like ants.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft