Best Clash book

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
JohnS
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 400
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 6:18pm

Re: Best Clash book

Post by JohnS » 02 Nov 2017, 12:32pm

I've always had a soft spot for Johnny Green's book, but then again (ahem) my copy is signed by him, Ray Lowry and Joe Strummer.
Yours, phoning up a locksmith to fit extra security on my doors and windows,
etc etc
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35481
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Best Clash book

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Nov 2017, 12:37pm

JohnS wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 12:32pm
I've always had a soft spot for Johnny Green's book, but then again (ahem) my copy is signed by him, Ray Lowry and Joe Strummer.
Yours, phoning up a locksmith to fit extra security on my doors and windows,
etc etc
I know where you live and when you sleep.

Now I'm round the back of your house at night
Peeping in the window - are you sleeping tight?
I laugh at your locks with my celloid strip
An' you won't know who came
Image
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14843
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Best Clash book

Post by 101Walterton » 02 Nov 2017, 2:25pm

JohnS wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 12:32pm
I've always had a soft spot for Johnny Green's book, but then again (ahem) my copy is signed by him, Ray Lowry and Joe Strummer.
Yours, phoning up a locksmith to fit extra security on my doors and windows,
etc etc
Swap you for my signed copy of Chris Knowles book?

white man
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 722
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:12pm
Location: Penshaw Manor

Re: Best Clash book

Post by white man » 02 Nov 2017, 2:41pm

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 10:06am
white man wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 10:03am
deny wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 7:37am
I'm currently reading Combat Ready by Tim Satchwell which I am enjoying. The era and press releases described remind me of my youth and at the age of 14 buying Combat Rock on the day of it's release - May 14th 1982 in the Uk. It is always nice to read something from a fellow Clash fan. Many thanks Tim.

I have always liked Before and After and I prefer it to Bob Gruen's book which is still very good.
CR is an excellent read. Just purchased a signed BG book for £20 on Ebay.
Yeah I enjoyed Combat Ready also. I've got that BG book but it's not signed so can you sign it for me. ;)
It's the least i could do.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35481
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Best Clash book

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Nov 2017, 2:46pm

white man wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 10:06am
white man wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 10:03am
deny wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 7:37am
I'm currently reading Combat Ready by Tim Satchwell which I am enjoying. The era and press releases described remind me of my youth and at the age of 14 buying Combat Rock on the day of it's release - May 14th 1982 in the Uk. It is always nice to read something from a fellow Clash fan. Many thanks Tim.

I have always liked Before and After and I prefer it to Bob Gruen's book which is still very good.
CR is an excellent read. Just purchased a signed BG book for £20 on Ebay.
Yeah I enjoyed Combat Ready also. I've got that BG book but it's not signed so can you sign it for me. ;)
It's the least i could do.
If you could sign it Simon Grayson that would make it rarer. Fuck it you may as well sign it Larry Grayson. :mrgreen:
Image
Image

JohnS
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 400
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 6:18pm

Re: Best Clash book

Post by JohnS » 02 Nov 2017, 2:50pm

101Walterton wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:25pm
JohnS wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 12:32pm
I've always had a soft spot for Johnny Green's book, but then again (ahem) my copy is signed by him, Ray Lowry and Joe Strummer.
Yours, phoning up a locksmith to fit extra security on my doors and windows,
etc etc
Swap you for my signed copy of Chris Knowles book?
Sorry mate, I think my copy is signed by CK already!!
And I have the Bob Gruen photo book, signed by him. And three of original Ray Lowry cartoons from Johnny Green's book (a small art gallery in Camden had a Ray Lowry exhibition round about the time the book was published)
And... er.... the Sound System box, signed by Mick (I bought the set from the Clash pop-up shop they opened up in Soho for a few weeks when the remasters / Sound System/ Clash Hits Back stuff was reissued, and he happened to be in there at the time!)

BUT... back on topic, the best Clash books for me were/are:
1) Before & After - the ONLY Clash book for a few years and it set their visual 'style/image' up like no written words could.
2) The Last Gang In Town - the first 'real' biography, long overdue after years of basic quotes/interviews scrapbooks. I think this was revised/rewritten twice?
3) Johnny Green's book - first hand stories, some of which we'd heard, many not. I bought my copy from the Helter Skelter bookshop (long gone) which often sold rare/signed copies of music books. This was pre-signed by Ray Lowry, Johnny (in green ink) and the bloke who co-wrote it with Johnny whose name I forget (sorry mate). I read it in one sitting I think.
A couple of years later I got it signed by Joe at a Mescaleros in-store gig at the HMV megasatore. Maybe he was making polite conversation but when he saw the book I was presenting to him, straightaway he said 'this is the best book about the Clash, ever, mate, the best one...'

NB beware the second edition of this book, cos someone at the printers messed it up - the cartoons are all scanned and printed at a lower resolution than the original and look crap.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35481
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Best Clash book

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Nov 2017, 2:57pm

JohnS wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:25pm
JohnS wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 12:32pm
I've always had a soft spot for Johnny Green's book, but then again (ahem) my copy is signed by him, Ray Lowry and Joe Strummer.
Yours, phoning up a locksmith to fit extra security on my doors and windows,
etc etc
Swap you for my signed copy of Chris Knowles book?
Sorry mate, I think my copy is signed by CK already!!
And I have the Bob Gruen photo book, signed by him. And three of original Ray Lowry cartoons from Johnny Green's book (a small art gallery in Camden had a Ray Lowry exhibition round about the time the book was published)
And... er.... the Sound System box, signed by Mick (I bought the set from the Clash pop-up shop they opened up in Soho for a few weeks when the remasters / Sound System/ Clash Hits Back stuff was reissued, and he happened to be in there at the time!)

BUT... back on topic, the best Clash books for me were/are:
1) Before & After - the ONLY Clash book for a few years and it set their visual 'style/image' up like no written words could.
2) The Last Gang In Town - the first 'real' biography, long overdue after years of basic quotes/interviews scrapbooks. I think this was revised/rewritten twice?
3) Johnny Green's book - first hand stories, some of which we'd heard, many not. I bought my copy from the Helter Skelter bookshop (long gone) which often sold rare/signed copies of music books. This was pre-signed by Ray Lowry, Johnny (in green ink) and the bloke who co-wrote it with Johnny whose name I forget (sorry mate). I read it in one sitting I think.
A couple of years later I got it signed by Joe at a Mescaleros in-store gig at the HMV megasatore. Maybe he was making polite conversation but when he saw the book I was presenting to him, straightaway he said 'this is the best book about the Clash, ever, mate, the best one...'

NB beware the second edition of this book, cos someone at the printers messed it up - the cartoons are all scanned and printed at a lower resolution than the original and look crap.
I'm not an autograph guy to be honest. It's great if that's what people like but it don't really do much for me. When I first met Joe my mate was like fuck you love The Clash why didn't you get his autograph or something. I was like nope I met Joe Strummer and we shook hands and talked for a while and if no fucker wants to believe then who cares. And I don't want anyone scribbling on my precious Clash stuff! ;)
Image
Image

JohnS
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 400
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 6:18pm

Re: Best Clash book

Post by JohnS » 02 Nov 2017, 3:14pm

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:57pm
I'm not an autograph guy to be honest. It's great if that's what people like but it don't really do much for me. When I first met Joe my mate was like fuck you love The Clash why didn't you get his autograph or something. I was like nope I met Joe Strummer and we shook hands and talked for a while and if no fucker wants to believe then who cares. And I don't want anyone scribbling on my precious Clash stuff! ;)
Yeah I know what you mean - despite my haul I'm not one to chase these things obsessively, certainly not ones that are pre-signed and you had nothing to do with it (all that certificate of authenticity crap on eBay strikes me as, er, not worth the paper it's written on)
If I'm buying a book and there's a choice of some copies signed by the author, or unsigned, I'll go for a signed one. Getting Joe and Mick to scribble on stuff for me was great but I agree, that was just the icing on the cake and I value much more the chance I had to chat each time and shake hands. The signatures are just a bonus memento of the occasion.

That front door lock is staying on, mind.... :mrgreen:
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7985
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: Best Clash book

Post by Inder » 02 Nov 2017, 3:16pm

I nabbed a handful of original gig posters and handbills on eBay around 2000/2001, just before prices shot up ( 😭 ) — I should try to digitize them somehow. I think I have a few press kits and things as well.

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1194
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: Best Clash book

Post by Low Down Low » 02 Nov 2017, 3:22pm

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:57pm
JohnS wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:25pm
JohnS wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 12:32pm
I've always had a soft spot for Johnny Green's book, but then again (ahem) my copy is signed by him, Ray Lowry and Joe Strummer.
Yours, phoning up a locksmith to fit extra security on my doors and windows,
etc etc
Swap you for my signed copy of Chris Knowles book?
Sorry mate, I think my copy is signed by CK already!!
And I have the Bob Gruen photo book, signed by him. And three of original Ray Lowry cartoons from Johnny Green's book (a small art gallery in Camden had a Ray Lowry exhibition round about the time the book was published)
And... er.... the Sound System box, signed by Mick (I bought the set from the Clash pop-up shop they opened up in Soho for a few weeks when the remasters / Sound System/ Clash Hits Back stuff was reissued, and he happened to be in there at the time!)

BUT... back on topic, the best Clash books for me were/are:
1) Before & After - the ONLY Clash book for a few years and it set their visual 'style/image' up like no written words could.
2) The Last Gang In Town - the first 'real' biography, long overdue after years of basic quotes/interviews scrapbooks. I think this was revised/rewritten twice?
3) Johnny Green's book - first hand stories, some of which we'd heard, many not. I bought my copy from the Helter Skelter bookshop (long gone) which often sold rare/signed copies of music books. This was pre-signed by Ray Lowry, Johnny (in green ink) and the bloke who co-wrote it with Johnny whose name I forget (sorry mate). I read it in one sitting I think.
A couple of years later I got it signed by Joe at a Mescaleros in-store gig at the HMV megasatore. Maybe he was making polite conversation but when he saw the book I was presenting to him, straightaway he said 'this is the best book about the Clash, ever, mate, the best one...'

NB beware the second edition of this book, cos someone at the printers messed it up - the cartoons are all scanned and printed at a lower resolution than the original and look crap.
I'm not an autograph guy to be honest. It's great if that's what people like but it don't really do much for me. When I first met Joe my mate was like fuck you love The Clash why didn't you get his autograph or something. I was like nope I met Joe Strummer and we shook hands and talked for a while and if no fucker wants to believe then who cares. And I don't want anyone scribbling on my precious Clash stuff! ;)
Am the same. I did the obligatory meet Joe after one of the gigs, he signed the copy of Global i was carrying which is lost, probably forever, amongst my endlessly growing pile of mostly useless clutter. I have to say he was cranky as fuck (he was moaning to some stagehand about his favourite pair of jeans having gone missing or something) but I didn't hold that against him as I was probably the 50th mug he'd had to sign something for and pose for photo with that night alone. Besides that may well be the effect i have on people anyway ;)

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35481
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Best Clash book

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Nov 2017, 3:30pm

JohnS wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 3:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:57pm
I'm not an autograph guy to be honest. It's great if that's what people like but it don't really do much for me. When I first met Joe my mate was like fuck you love The Clash why didn't you get his autograph or something. I was like nope I met Joe Strummer and we shook hands and talked for a while and if no fucker wants to believe then who cares. And I don't want anyone scribbling on my precious Clash stuff! ;)
Yeah I know what you mean - despite my haul I'm not one to chase these things obsessively, certainly not ones that are pre-signed and you had nothing to do with it (all that certificate of authenticity crap on eBay strikes me as, er, not worth the paper it's written on)
If I'm buying a book and there's a choice of some copies signed by the author, or unsigned, I'll go for a signed one. Getting Joe and Mick to scribble on stuff for me was great but I agree, that was just the icing on the cake and I value much more the chance I had to chat each time and shake hands. The signatures are just a bonus memento of the occasion.

Now that is a great attitude. I like that, yeah I guess sometimes having a cake with a cherry on top is better than just having a plain cake. Of course you've gotta like cherries. :mrgreen:
Image
Image

white man
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 722
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:12pm
Location: Penshaw Manor

Re: Best Clash book

Post by white man » 02 Nov 2017, 6:20pm

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:46pm
white man wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 10:06am
white man wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 10:03am
deny wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 7:37am
I'm currently reading Combat Ready by Tim Satchwell which I am enjoying. The era and press releases described remind me of my youth and at the age of 14 buying Combat Rock on the day of it's release - May 14th 1982 in the Uk. It is always nice to read something from a fellow Clash fan. Many thanks Tim.

I have always liked Before and After and I prefer it to Bob Gruen's book which is still very good.
CR is an excellent read. Just purchased a signed BG book for £20 on Ebay.
Yeah I enjoyed Combat Ready also. I've got that BG book but it's not signed so can you sign it for me. ;)
It's the least i could do.
If you could sign it Simon Grayson that would make it rarer. Fuck it you may as well sign it Larry Grayson. :mrgreen:
Larrry would have been a better choice had he been alive. Shut that door on your way out of the Championship.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35481
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Best Clash book

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Nov 2017, 6:27pm

white man wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 6:20pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:46pm
white man wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 10:06am
white man wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 10:03am

CR is an excellent read. Just purchased a signed BG book for £20 on Ebay.
Yeah I enjoyed Combat Ready also. I've got that BG book but it's not signed so can you sign it for me. ;)
It's the least i could do.
If you could sign it Simon Grayson that would make it rarer. Fuck it you may as well sign it Larry Grayson. :mrgreen:
Larrry would have been a better choice had he been alive. Shut that door on your way out of the Championship.
I'm laughing and feel I shouldn't be but... :mrgreen:
Image
Image

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7408
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Best Clash book

Post by Kory » 06 Nov 2017, 2:23pm

I think Before and After is my favorite if only because it turns out Mick and Joe are hilarious. Paul...well. He seems to like ants.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71196
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Best Clash book

Post by Dr. Medulla » 06 Nov 2017, 2:28pm

Kory wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 2:23pm
I think Before and After is my favorite if only because it turns out Mick and Joe are hilarious. Paul...well. He seems to like ants.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: topperville and 1 guest