Rude Boy dubbing

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
vacuumcleaner
Corner Soul

Rude Boy dubbing

Post by vacuumcleaner »

When they made Rude Boy, the concerts had bad sound so they rerecorded the sound.

The funny thing is, some of the tracks from the live album and On Broadway are supposed to be from Rude Boy. But they sound like there is audience noise. But if we're hearing the redubbing why is there audience noise?

Have you also noticed, during The Prisoner, the sound isn't synced with the image at all. When they redubbed the concert scenes, the Clash was carefully looking at the film so they could play along. But for The Prisoner, they either missed the mark or that was the original sound.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: Rude Boy dubbing

Post by laxman »

I assume they retained some of the original recording so that it was still in synch with the visuals and then over dubbed whatever they decided needed improving? Not watched it for a while so can't remember The Prisoner being out of synch. They made a big deal out of not going on TOTP and miming to their songs, so I'm surprised that slipped through, they wouldn't have wanted it to look like it wasn't 100% live in the film.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Didn't they re record the tracks in front of a live audience albeit a much smaller one?

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

They dubbed lot s of guitars
May be some vocals
But nit sure for the rest

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

I know the soundtrack has been bootlegged but it would make a great official release, perhaps as part of a deluxe reissue.

The Baker
Dirty Punk

Post by The Baker »

I remember in one of the interviews with the Rude Boy director at the end of the soundtrack bootleg cd, he claimed that the overdubs were very minimal, saying they were no more than there would be on a regular live album release.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

laxman wrote:
18 Jun 2017, 12:48pm
I know the soundtrack has been bootlegged but it would make a great official release, perhaps as part of a deluxe reissue.
Yep The Directors Cut CD that Snotty Snail? put out is great. It has the best ever Police and Thieves.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

All the videos are off Youtube and I'm not at home now to verify, but part of the issue with a lot of the Rude Boy footage is that they only had one camera for most of the concerts (Lyceum shows def. had multiple though). For the Prisoner, I think they were trying to get clever by mixing in footage from different songs with close ups from the Prisoner to give the impression of multiple camera angles.

I do remember one of the bonus tracks from the DVD (White Riot that falls apart, I believe), Mick clearly stops playing to deal with the crowd and you still hear guitar playing. It's pretty egregious.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.