Jamaica World Fest 1982

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Jamaica World Fest 1982

Post by bazarboy75 »

Hi all

Found this archive on an old dvd and put it online

Police on my back was already on YT but there is some snippet from the Clash you may never seen before (?)
Anyway, enjoy !

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Jamaica World Fest 1982

Post by JohnS »

Nice find bazar boy - thanks for posting it.
$100 for a 3-day ticket in 1982? Ouch.
Still, you did get the Grateful Dead playing from 4pm till 8am (that can't be right can it?! Maybe it just FELT like it)
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

This whole gig must exist on video!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

Heston wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 12:45pm
This whole gig must exist on video!
100% sure
Multicam and all the stuff

Even i'm not an urge fan of that Terry back period the Jamaica is cool

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

JohnS wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 9:35am
Still, you did get the Grateful Dead playing from 4pm till 8am (that can't be right can it?! Maybe it just FELT like it)
:mrgreen:

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Not necessarily. During this era, it wasn't unusual for the Dead to play three hours at a clip (two 90-minute sets with an intermission, IIRC), so four doesn't sound like such a stretch. However...this is
what I found on www.dead.net:

>Jamaica World Music Festival - the Dead performed 4:30 to 7:00 AM in the early hours of 11-26-82 <

Still, seems like a strange choice to include them, given the company that they were keeping that weekend. :mrgreen:

I always loved the Magnificent Seven-Armagideon Time-and back again version from this gig. POMB sounds pretty sharp here, too. Cool stuff (especially the sign at 0:51), all around, thanks for posting.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
20 Apr 2017, 12:12pm
Not necessarily. During this era, it wasn't unusual for the Dead to play three hours at a clip (two 90-minute sets with an intermission, IIRC), so four doesn't sound like such a stretch. However...this is

>Jamaica World Music Festival - the Dead performed 4:30 to 7:00 AM in the early hours of 11-26-82 <

Still, seems like a strange choice to include them, given the company that they were keeping that weekend. :mrgreen:

I always loved the Magnificent Seven-Armagideon Time-and back again version from this gig. POMB sounds pretty sharp here, too. Cool stuff (especially the sign at 0:51), all around, thanks for posting.
4pm till 8am is sixteen hours

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Well, yeah, it's an obvious mistake -- the timeframe cited (430 to 7 am) is much closer to what actually happened, I think. The unfortunate thing is that mistakes like this (4 pm to 8 am) get repeated often enough, until they become gospel.

One of my favorite examples is the urban legend of Joan Crawford guest-starring on the "Batman" TV show. Apparently, that started from a cast list for an episode that actually featured one John Crawford, as a henchmen to one of the second tier villains (the Bookworm, if I remember correctly).

However -- due to a simple typo -- we ended up with Joan instead, and other writers quickly began repeating it accordingly. Moral of the story? It pays to proofread. More than once. :mrgreen:

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

XRCF
Junco Partner

Post by XRCF »

Chuck Mangione wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 5:40pm
Look mum I'm famous! :approve:
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀https://xrcf.xyz/
ImageImage
My mega links never die!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

white man wrote:
20 Apr 2017, 8:09pm
Chairman Ralph wrote:
20 Apr 2017, 12:12pm

They were too stoned to tell time. :mrgreen:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung