How about some new Clash "product" for 2017

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: How about some new Clash "product" for 2017

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 4:40pm
Chuck Mangione wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 2:58pm
I'm all for a 40th anniversary release of the self titled.
It's a no brainer for them to re-release the albums and round up singles, rarities, live stuff etc with each release. Loads of bands are doing it, it is basically a business model now for "heritage" bands. Problem is that I don't think the interest is there from Paul and Mick.

What I really want is their live appearances rounded up on a DVD like the Complete Jam. It's a farce the way their filmed live output has been treated.
This may be the truest Clash-related thing ever said on this board, aside from how terrible they are.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 4:40pm
Chuck Mangione wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 2:58pm
I'm all for a 40th anniversary release of the self titled.
It's a no brainer for them to re-release the albums and round up singles, rarities, live stuff etc with each release. Loads of bands are doing it, it is basically a business model now for "heritage" bands. Problem is that I don't think the interest is there from Paul and Mick.

What I really want is their live appearances rounded up on a DVD like the Complete Jam. It's a farce the way their filmed live output has been treated.
Agreed on all counts. I love the job Madness and The Specials did on their rerelease. It's great to have all the singles, b sides, demos, radio sessions or live versions with each album.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Heston wrote:
24 Jan 2017, 1:19am
Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2017, 9:02pm
Heston wrote:
22 Jan 2017, 4:33pm
Wasn't Long Time Jerk written way before they got those orders from Bernie? And a Simonon song to boot?
Paul wrote that? Weird.
It's one weird-ass song. I think it was Paul's music.
Not to change the subject but I did something that ended up like Long Time Jerk, it's weird and it's cool if you skip over this it's not a shameless self promotion, it's just something that after listening to LTJ I thought wow this is similar.

BasingSt78
Corner Soul

Post by BasingSt78 »

I think it is pretty clear the remaining members of Clash I have washed their hands of us. Paul wants to be known as a a painter, Mick still wants to be a rapper, and who knows about Tops. My assertion remains unchanged that the only unreleased material will remain hoarded for some time to come. 1977 was 40 years ago. During that time even The Stooges allowed Rhino to release every second of tape from the "Funhouse" sessions. Sony could do the same with the dozens of takes of every track on GEER. What did Sound System gives us that we did not already have? A crisper version of the Beaconsfield demos, a sonically improved first LP. That is about it. FHTE should have been a 7 CD box set, one CD for every year Mick was in the band.

The amount of unreleased audio and video is probably staggering. The BBC Clash retrospective had a tiny B&W clip of a VERY early Clash show- I suspect it might have even been the Black Swan gig. Probably the whole show exists. Will we ever see it? Likely not. It always aggravates me when record companies complain about audience recording. The only reason it happens is because the real, true fans like us want MORE. However that is an entirely different subject. Unless Bernie has some sort of epiphany, or his flat gets burgled, our only hope lies with insiders like Don Letts. Mick probably has a lot of live/studio recordings, but will never get over being asked to leave. His ego is too big to allow a fresh spotlight to shine on how brilliant Clash I was. As for Clash II, well it is if that never happened. Hope springs eternal, my pessimism has not made me stop searching. It took 30+ years for the St. Paul soundboard to drop, so you never know... BasingSt

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Just to disagree with a small point of a post that I think is mostly on point, I don't think that 2017 Mick wants to rap at all.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

BasingSt78 wrote:
10 Feb 2017, 7:38pm
It took 30+ years for the St. Paul soundboard to drop, so you never know... BasingSt
Which St. Paul show has a board mix? I was at all three ('79, '82 and '84) and have the boots for all of them and they're all audience recordings. You know something I don't, mate? :huh:
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Bit harsh on Mick I'm sure that was water under the bridge a long time ago. I think if Mick has got anything it is more likely he doesn't think it is good enough to be released as is the case with the London SS tapes.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Black Swan Gig? i think not. We would have known about it by now. Its very doubtful that the London SS ever recorded anything. Thats if they even rehearsed full songs, which would have been covers anyhow. Tony James was sill learning to play guitar while with Carbon Silicon :mrgreen:
There seems to be a romantic notion that all these bands from the 76 era were accomplished when in fact barely any of them could play.

slapshot
Corner Soul

Post by slapshot »

Rumor of Joe Strummer unreleased material from Mescalero era in 2017 AND a "cleaned up " or re produced version of Cut The Crap being worked on along with unreleased stuff and live material from the post Mick Clash era to be released late 2017 or 2018 . Heard this second hand, but it would be interesting

slapshot
Corner Soul

Post by slapshot »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 1:16am
The Jam also did a good job of the Setting Sons box including all the demos.
I'm sure by now Joe would have changed his stance on Rat Patrol for a Combat Rock box.
Rat Patrol package would be nice

slapshot
Corner Soul

Post by slapshot »

Inder wrote:
21 Jan 2017, 3:35am
I don't get the Bonds fascination. Must've been amazing to see live, but the recordings sound like a sloppy/exhausted band.
They capture the spirit of the whole Clash movement

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

slapshot wrote:
11 Feb 2017, 3:48pm
101Walterton wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 1:16am
The Jam also did a good job of the Setting Sons box including all the demos.
I'm sure by now Joe would have changed his stance on Rat Patrol for a Combat Rock box.
Rat Patrol package would be nice
It would indeed. I like the concept of the deluxe issues, gathering together demos, b sides, remixes, live shows etc from a moment in time.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

white man wrote:
11 Feb 2017, 8:02am
Black Swan Gig? i think not. We would have known about it by now. Its very doubtful that the London SS ever recorded anything. Thats if they even rehearsed full songs, which would have been covers anyhow. Tony James was sill learning to play guitar while with Carbon Silicon :mrgreen:
There seems to be a romantic notion that all these bands from the 76 era were accomplished when in fact barely any of them could play.
Mick has London SS tapes ( I think it was TeddyB confirmed on here recently) he just doesn't want to release them as he doesn't think they are good enough.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Whoever slapshot is, they have a good as hell screen name.

Also, can't wait for Mick's new mixtape to drop.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
11 Feb 2017, 6:24pm
Whoever slapshot is, they have a good as hell screen name.

Also, can't wait for Mick's new mixtape to drop.
I hope he and Adam WarRock do a whole mixtape about Kamala Khan.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"