Meeting Joe: Joe Strummer the Clash & Me

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Meeting Joe: Joe Strummer the Clash & Me

Post by matedog »

Loving the photos, Keith. Thanks for doing the interview too. I'm looking forward to checking out those books as well.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:Loving the photos, Keith. Thanks for doing the interview too. I'm looking forward to checking out those books as well.
I've read the "Meeting Joe" one and it's a genuine heartfelt account without the usual Clash mythology bullshit. A Refreshing read of someone Keith obviously cared for.

That second picture is very cool and it's interesting how it captures a very young looking Keith and for the first time you can really notice how much older Joe looked. Great pic.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Seriously. This is super cool.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

I've also bought and read Meeting Joe and dug it. It's got a good vibe and seemingly mature understanding of the inevitability of the events. I like the new What's My Name as well! Look forward to more of the book, Keith.

KeithLevene
Corner Soul

Post by KeithLevene »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:I've also bought and read Meeting Joe and dug it. It's got a good vibe and seemingly mature understanding of the inevitability of the events. I like the new What's My Name as well! Look forward to more of the book, Keith.

Thank you Teddy! Thank you Marky as well---thank you all very much for the support_it's well appreciated!

I wanted to share this with you_someone sent it to me. Not sure if it's been posted before_It's the first time I've heard the entire show (I've heard the What's My Name part before and that's what inspired me to record it for the first time recently!). Mad hearing myself tune up and play_

Share it up if you like_I believe things like this from back in the day should be shared and enjoyed if people want to hear it_ 1976 was a magical time_great time to be in West London!

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

KeithLevene wrote:
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:I've also bought and read Meeting Joe and dug it. It's got a good vibe and seemingly mature understanding of the inevitability of the events. I like the new What's My Name as well! Look forward to more of the book, Keith.

Thank you Teddy! Thank you Marky as well---thank you all very much for the support_it's well appreciated!

I wanted to share this with you_someone sent it to me. Not sure if it's been posted before_It's the first time I've heard the entire show (I've heard the What's My Name part before and that's what inspired me to record it for the first time recently!). Mad hearing myself tune up and play_

Share it up if you like_I believe things like this from back in the day should be shared and enjoyed if people want to hear it_ 1976 was a magical time_great time to be in West London!

So far there's 3 Clash live recordings with you in circulation.
-- this one
-- Aug. 31, 100 Club
-- Sept. 5, The Roundhouse (your last gig)

The 100 Club tape only came into circulation about 5-6 years ago and has pretty nice sound. If there's any of them you haven't heard before we'd be happy to upload.

KeithLevene
Corner Soul

Post by KeithLevene »

Rat Patrol wrote:
KeithLevene wrote:

M8 I'd appreciate it if you could post the 100 Club and Roundhouse shows_I only heard the screen on the green recently because someone sent the YT video to me!

So far there's 3 Clash live recordings with you in circulation.
-- this one
-- Aug. 31, 100 Club
-- Sept. 5, The Roundhouse (your last gig)

The 100 Club tape only came into circulation about 5-6 years ago and has pretty nice sound. If there's any of them you haven't heard before we'd be happy to upload.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Here you go, Keith. These are the full lossless audio files in FLAC format. Nearly all music players support FLAC, but let me know if you need MP3 files instead. Also uploaded the lossless Midnight Special recording in case you only have the lossy/YouTube version.

The Clash - Midnight Special, Screen on The Green, London - 8/29/1976 (FLAC)
Info (Black Market Clash): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/779 ... ecial.html
Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!xIYBVKQa!sJw7_xElv ... CZCh8Fe_Kg

The Clash - 100 Club, London - 8/31/1976 (FLAC)
Info (Black Market Clash): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/779 ... 0Club.html
Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!oN5EVDYB!TVB88Csky ... sV6bOeVBE0

The Clash - The Roundhouse, London - 9/5/1976 (FLAC)
Info (Black Market Clash): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/779 ... house.html
Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!5ZY1FB5L!NTOffc7KX ... Tqh1WbHwds

The info pages are from Black Market Clash, the most complete online resource for live/rare Clash recordings. The site's author, Graham (a.k.a. bmc) posts here and has accumulated tapes of every known Clash live show from the tape-trading community over parts of 2 decades and has curated all that encyclopedic gig info on the site. He welcomes any new bits of info and fact-checks about particular gigs, so send him a PM if you have any corrections or recollections from those early shows to update the info pages with. He's planning to publish the entire gig info archive from the site in book form over the next year and has been doing mass proofreading and site updates to get all the info accurate and complete.

KeithLevene
Corner Soul

Post by KeithLevene »

Rat Patrol wrote:Here you go, Keith. These are the full lossless audio files in FLAC format. Nearly all music players support FLAC, but let me know if you need MP3 files instead. Also uploaded the lossless Midnight Special recording in case you only have the lossy/YouTube version.

The Clash - Midnight Special, Screen on The Green, London - 8/29/1976 (FLAC)
Info (Black Market Clash): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/779 ... ecial.html
Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!xIYBVKQa!sJw7_xElv ... CZCh8Fe_Kg

The Clash - 100 Club, London - 8/31/1976 (FLAC)
Info (Black Market Clash): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/779 ... 0Club.html
Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!oN5EVDYB!TVB88Csky ... sV6bOeVBE0

The Clash - The Roundhouse, London - 9/5/1976 (FLAC)
Info (Black Market Clash): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/779 ... house.html
Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!5ZY1FB5L!NTOffc7KX ... Tqh1WbHwds

The info pages are from Black Market Clash, the most complete online resource for live/rare Clash recordings. The site's author, Graham (a.k.a. bmc) posts here and has accumulated tapes of every known Clash live show from the tape-trading community over parts of 2 decades and has curated all that encyclopedic gig info on the site. He welcomes any new bits of info and fact-checks about particular gigs, so send him a PM if you have any corrections or recollections from those early shows to update the info pages with. He's planning to publish the entire gig info archive from the site in book form over the next year and has been doing mass proofreading and site updates to get all the info accurate and complete.

Thank you M8 :cool:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I just jumped into this thread after being away for a bit, really looking forward to checking all this out when I get back from dinner. Thanks Keith!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

KeithLevene
Corner Soul

Post by KeithLevene »

CoMinG SooN

Keith Levene's LoNDoN 1976!

Twitter - @missingchannel
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-01-30 at 17.13.21.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-30 at 17.13.21.png (778.91 KiB) Viewed 3907 times

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

KeithLevene wrote:CoMinG SooN

Keith Levene's LoNDoN 1976!

Twitter - @missingchannel
Brilliant photo.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Yeah, coming late to this, but looking forward to the book Keith and thanks for sharing the pics and interview!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

KeithLevene
Corner Soul

Post by KeithLevene »

Thanks for the positive feedback_

Here's a radio interview I did Friday night_giving some inside scoop on Joe, the early Clash, the book_PiL and other things

Cheers everyone_Keith

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

KeithLevene wrote:Thanks for the positive feedback_

Here's a radio interview I did Friday night_giving some inside scoop on Joe, the early Clash, the book_PiL and other things

Cheers everyone_Keith
Thanks Keith nice one.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia