Unreleased Joe stuff

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Unreleased Joe stuff

Post by Low Down Low »

Silent Majority wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Joe isnt a good song writer in my opinion

Low Down Low wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Couldnt agree more. Joe isn't a good song writer in my opinion either, he's a fucking top-notch song writer, one of the best
NoMoreHugh must be talking from a tunesmith standpoint - his melodies were never his strongest points. As a lyricist, he's got few in his class.
Ah ok, fair enough in that case. Although I think Joe was a fairly adept song composer too, just that he lacked the confidence in himself musically to be able to consistently express it, at least until the Mescaleros was conceived. Walker, for example, is a solid achievement for a guy so lacking in experience as a solo performer at that time, some serious song composing talent on evidence on that record I believe

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Low Down Low wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Low Down Low wrote:
NoMoreHugh must be talking from a tunesmith standpoint - his melodies were never his strongest points. As a lyricist, he's got few in his class.
Ah ok, fair enough in that case. Although I think Joe was a fairly adept song composer too, just that he lacked the confidence in himself musically to be able to consistently express it, at least until the Mescaleros was conceived. Walker, for example, is a solid achievement for a guy so lacking in experience as a solo performer at that time, some serious song composing talent on evidence on that record I believe
Not to take anything away from Walker, which is a great listen, or Strummer's contribution to it, but per, I think, Salewicz's illiterate but factually sound biography, the melodies and soundscapes for Walker came from session musicians jamming all day while Joe drove around the desert listening to cassettes of the previous day's work. Which is how I would write an album, anyway. Trash City is a Joe tune, London Calling is, I think Clampdown is. Those are three great songs. With the Mescaleros, I understand they followed a similar musician-lead composition as the Walker sessions and you can hear the difference compared to those three.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

I started off being excited by the prospect of unreleased material, but after some serious consideration I have my doubts and am not firmly in either of the Yes or No camps. The main reason recently, has been listening to 'the 50th Anniversary' collection of Dylan's material which was released for copyright reasons. The result? It's full of rejects which didn't make The Bootleg Series releases. Streetcore has remnants from Joe's recordings and demos at that time, and I would expect they represent the best of what was there. I'm afraid the anticipation might be better than the reality. Then again, tomorrow I might be more optimistic.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Not to take anything away from Walker, which is a great listen, or Strummer's contribution to it, but per, I think, Salewicz's illiterate but factually sound biography, the melodies and soundscapes for Walker came from session musicians jamming all day while Joe drove around the desert listening to cassettes of the previous day's work. Which is how I would write an album, anyway. Trash City is a Joe tune, London Calling is, I think Clampdown is. Those are three great songs. With the Mescaleros, I understand they followed a similar musician-lead composition as the Walker sessions and you can hear the difference compared to those three.
I'm pretty sure Mick came up with the riffs for London Calling and Clampdown. Certainly the middle eight in Clampdown has Mick all over it, and I would be surprised if Joe had came up with something as (relatively) musically complex.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

London's Burning's all Joe?

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Silent Majority wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Yeah, that all sounds fair to me. Probably how any decent frontman worth his salt should operate. I guess I always thought of Joe as such a control freak that he'd at least have to have the last word before anything was signed off.

Do you really consider Salewiz that bad? I don't think it's the greatest book, but illiterate seems a tad harsh. I actually don't think it's that badly written

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:London's Burning's all Joe?
Yeah, think so.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Low Down Low wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yeah, that all sounds fair to me. Probably how any decent frontman worth his salt should operate. I guess I always thought of Joe as such a control freak that he'd at least have to have the last word before anything was signed off.

Do you really consider Salewiz that bad? I don't think it's the greatest book, but illiterate seems a tad harsh. I actually don't think it's that badly written
I guess a more fair evaluation is that he writes with neither style or elan.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:London's Burning's all Joe?
Should've been the A-side with "Ring a Ring o' Roses" as the B.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

London Calling is Joe's basic chords, with Mick adapting the riff from Dead End Street and adding the drone. Clampdown is Mick's tune (Working and A-Waiting) with Joe adding lyrics after. London's Burning was the two of them in Mick's gran's flat overlooking the Westway. It sounds like White Riot or other staccato songs they were collaborating on at the time.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

I dont think this has been posted but i might be wrong

In Store Acoustic Show - No Date sorry

Joe Strummer with a bit of Donkey Music as well
Only joking - enjoy

Junco Partner
X-Ray Style
Island Hopping
Road to rock and roll
Trash city

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/5 ... w-rar.html

OWEI
Corner Soul

Post by OWEI »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:Who's playing the harmonica? Is that Mick as well?
Bob Jones.
Rob 'Bass Thing' Jones?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

OWEI wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:Who's playing the harmonica? Is that Mick as well?
Bob Jones.
Rob 'Bass Thing' Jones?
It's wonderful not Wonderstuff. ;)

No it's Mick Jones plaing harmonica. The Bob was a nod to Bob Dylan.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

OWEI
Corner Soul

Post by OWEI »