Minstrel Boy- Black hawk Down version

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Minstrel Boy- Black hawk Down version

Post by muppet hi fi »

Been listening to this, great version, great recording. Joe's vocal dubs show how great of a singer he really was, or could be, and not just The Great Joe Strummer.

Does anyone know the story behind how the Meskies got this song in the film? Is it just an edited and remixed version of the long jam from Global A Go-Go, or was was this take recorded especially for the film?
[youtube][/youtube]
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

101Walterton
The Best

Re: Minstrel Boy- Black hawk Down version

Post by 101Walterton »

muppet hi fi wrote:Been listening to this, great version, great recording. Joe's vocal dubs show how great of a singer he really was, or could be, and not just The Great Joe Strummer.

Does anyone know the story behind how the Meskies got this song in the film? Is it just an edited and remixed version of the long jam from Global A Go-Go, or was was this take recorded especially for the film?
[youtube][/youtube]
My guess would be the other way round?
Recorded for the film and long jam used for Global possibly due to some copyright issue regarding the film recording. Can't think why else they wouldn't have used the brilliant Black Hawk Down version for the album :huh: I understand it is a traditional arrangement so there wouldn't be an issue using the song just that version which was on the film soundtrack album (I am sure our in-house copyright lawyers will come along shortly and correct me :mrgreen: ).

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Thanks Wally. Seems plausible, but... Maybe TeddyB has some insight as well, as he's got connections with Hollywood and all.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I believe they are completely separate recordings. If I remember correctly from one of the bios (Redemption Song?), they were asked to provide a song for the film and came up with that.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

matedog wrote:I believe they are completely separate recordings. If I remember correctly from one of the bios (Redemption Song?), they were asked to provide a song for the film and came up with that.
Yeah, I think you're right. The film version has that chord modulation/breakdown and also the drums go from the straight tattoo into hard-count 3/4 time, then back to the military waltz pattern.
Still would be interesting to know how/why they were approached for this particular film.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

There's an interview up on youtube where he talks about the BHD version. Definitely before the Global sessions. He speaks really highly of the recording. Wish I could remember which interview it was.