Jarmusch Liner Notes

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
JoeRoberts
Corner Soul

Jarmusch Liner Notes

Post by JoeRoberts »

Have you got the liner notes wrote by Jim Jarmusch for the "Global a Go-Go" remastered version?

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Re: Jarmusch Liner Notes

Post by muppet hi fi »

Old news. Joe was into Springsteen by '75 when he first saw him at the Hammersmith Odeon shows. By '78 Joe was well in (artistic/ sartorial) competition with Bruce, as Bruce was with the Clash. No secret there.
In 1978 - a year of great, great new, exciting and revolutionary pop music - two acts stood at the top of the best: The Clash and Springsteen & the E St. Band. On record and, more importantly, on stage.

Fact it, Springsteen haters.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Joe liked a lot of boring shitty white guy music.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JoeRoberts
Corner Soul

Post by JoeRoberts »

I don't understand... I was asking about Jim Jarmusch notes...

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

JoeRoberts wrote:I don't understand... I was asking about Jim Jarmusch notes...
I think muppet misread your signature quote as your post. And I just decided to yank his chain.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Wolter wrote:
JoeRoberts wrote:I don't understand... I was asking about Jim Jarmusch notes...
I think muppet misread your signature quote as your post. And I just decided to yank his chain.
Whoops. Wolter is correct, sorry JoeR. A certain amount of Springsteen dissing goes on around here, a lot of it having made me laugh harder than nearly anything else on the board. Good times.
Anyway, yeah I got the Jarmusch liner notes. I'll scan it or just type em if you want.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

For JoeRoberts (by the way - welcome to the board).
Liner notes by Jim Jarmusch on 2012 re-master of the Mescaleros' 'Global A Go-Go' album.

By the time the Mescaleros completed their second record in 2001, they were a well-honed group with their own distinctive sound and stance. Strummer of course was the pirate captain, the navigator, and the nucleus - but the rest of the band now played off each other fluidly, with the edges always appropriately a little bit rough. They had become a truly great band, and I saw them live every chance I could.

Equally appropriate is this record's title. Strummer's world-wide musical appreciation and influences are certainly well-known - from the large catalogue of his own songs and music to his remarkable late '90's BBC Radio program "Joe Strummer's London Calling".

GLOBAL A GO-GO deftly represents his outlook, his intuition, his enthusiasm, and his concerns. Years before the startling disappearances of of honey bees around the planet, Joe sings on the opening track: "If you're after getting the honey then don't go killing all the bees...There ain't no berries on the trees." And who else could possibly write a song like SHAKTAR DONETSK: "He went to Britain in the back of a lorry...He had the wooly scarf of Shaktar Donetsk...wound around his neck...", or BHINDI BHAGEE, where he compares the vast variety of ethnic foods in London to the world's vast variety of musical forms? Who else could include references to Mah Jong, Hong Kong, Indianapolis, Cher and Evil Knievel in the same swong (GAMMA RAY)? These things come from the soul of Joe Strummer.

This record for me finds Joe at the top of his form -- emotionally, lyrically and musically. He shaped the Mescaleros around his passions and they stepped up to the challenge. My respect for him will be carried in my heart as long as it beats, and maybe well after. And to the Mescaleros - Scott and Martin, Tymon and Pablo - I send you my deep thanks for this musical treasure. You gave us music we're still holding close - and man, we're never lettin' go. Mission accomplished.

Jim Jarmusch

JoeRoberts
Corner Soul

Post by JoeRoberts »

Thanks a million Muppet!

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

Those pictures are all pretty amazing.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Seconded. Love the third one.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Jim Jarmusch pretty much has the aesthetic I strive for.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

His visual composition and pacing are my favorite of any director. I adore every shot in Mystery Train.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Jarmusch is one of the greatest American film directors I reckon, up there with Scorcesse or Spike Lee or whomever. Mystery Train is great as are Night On Earth, Down By Law, Dead Man, and really all his shit. It's like - nothing is happening, and yet, EVERYTHING is happening.Everything that a human person might care about.
"...say ya found it in the garbage; say ya got it from Jim Jarmusch". Right on.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

I think even when Jim Jarmusch fails, his movies are so aesthetically striking that I can't hate them. Limits of Control is such a druggie fever dream that I don't think I like it as a movie, but as a 90 minute ambient music video, it's kind of amazing.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Ye know, I think I've only actually ever seen Stranger Than Paradise, Down By Law, Mystery Train, Night On Earth, Dead Man and Coffee and Cigarettes. Got a lot of catching up to do, which is a good thing, shit to look forward to. Still - Jarmusch is great. And FUN too.

P.S. - his vid for BAD's "Sightsee MC" is brilliant.