Paris marathon

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Paris marathon

Post by dave202 »

101Walterton wrote:
dave202 wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
dave202 wrote:
101Walterton wrote: There is a pic in Redemption Song of Joe wearing his medal at the end of the Paris marathon. I have read Joe's time and it was a lot quicker than my PB which is 3.40, I think Joe was 3.15-3.20 ???
Remember, a decent half-marathon time is roughly the same as playing a football match, but easier as you don't have the sprinting, tackling, twisting and turning.
Actually whilst a game of football lasts 90 minutes which is a very good time for a half marathon- Premier league players don't even run close to half marathon distance in that time and that is with a 15 minutes rest in the middle !!!

In 2005-06, midfielders were measured as the Premiership’s hardest-working players, with right midfielders, such as Gerrard, the most energetic of all. The average ground covered by those in this position, 11.49km per game (seven miles, 246 yards) was not too far short of the figures for Gerrard. Centre-backs did the least running but even they averaged a fraction under 10km per match.

10km is short of the quarter marathon
Ok, maybe I have underestimated my athletic prowess when I was younger. When I did half marathons I paced myself, did reasonable times, and was never as knackered as when playing football. Maybe, unlike Gerrard, I ran like the clappers for the whole game. A professional midfielder might just have to run the occasional bit, let the defenders defend, the strikers strike and all that stuff. Sunday morning league football in Dundee was different. Perhaps it's because we had to run for the ball when we blasted it over the crossbar and retrieve the bloody thing, unlike Stevie's stroll in the park. Or get kicked.

A question on whether I ran a marathon - yes. I don't under estimate it, or Joe's achievement. I did the one and never again. What is important is that if you are doing a distance (I mean non-elite class) when you can get your pace, heartbeat and breathing in harmony then you can go on forever. If you try to much, too soon, you are fucked. After 26 miles you are pretty fucked too, but in a totally different way. A mars bar and a medal mean little.

I did a marathon because a mate of mine did, and I thought, "he can't be on a par with Strummer and not me." Was it J K or Joe who drove me beyond exhaustion?

Sorry if I've pissed folk off, but Joe did do a marathon. His time was all right, , three and a quarter hours maybe, not brilliant, but he did it.
Come on what was your time ??????
3:04, Dundee, 1985. I don't see that as a great thing to have done,just a very stupid way of abusing my body. Someone mentioned 10k, my favourite distance, and one which doesn't require months of training and days of recuperation.

Once again, sorry for pissing folk off.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

You are being far too modest. 7 minute miles over that distance is quality running in my opinion, well done.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

dave202 wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
dave202 wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
dave202 wrote: Remember, a decent half-marathon time is roughly the same as playing a football match, but easier as you don't have the sprinting, tackling, twisting and turning.
Actually whilst a game of football lasts 90 minutes which is a very good time for a half marathon- Premier league players don't even run close to half marathon distance in that time and that is with a 15 minutes rest in the middle !!!

In 2005-06, midfielders were measured as the Premiership’s hardest-working players, with right midfielders, such as Gerrard, the most energetic of all. The average ground covered by those in this position, 11.49km per game (seven miles, 246 yards) was not too far short of the figures for Gerrard. Centre-backs did the least running but even they averaged a fraction under 10km per match.

10km is short of the quarter marathon
Ok, maybe I have underestimated my athletic prowess when I was younger. When I did half marathons I paced myself, did reasonable times, and was never as knackered as when playing football. Maybe, unlike Gerrard, I ran like the clappers for the whole game. A professional midfielder might just have to run the occasional bit, let the defenders defend, the strikers strike and all that stuff. Sunday morning league football in Dundee was different. Perhaps it's because we had to run for the ball when we blasted it over the crossbar and retrieve the bloody thing, unlike Stevie's stroll in the park. Or get kicked.

A question on whether I ran a marathon - yes. I don't under estimate it, or Joe's achievement. I did the one and never again. What is important is that if you are doing a distance (I mean non-elite class) when you can get your pace, heartbeat and breathing in harmony then you can go on forever. If you try to much, too soon, you are fucked. After 26 miles you are pretty fucked too, but in a totally different way. A mars bar and a medal mean little.

I did a marathon because a mate of mine did, and I thought, "he can't be on a par with Strummer and not me." Was it J K or Joe who drove me beyond exhaustion?

Sorry if I've pissed folk off, but Joe did do a marathon. His time was all right, , three and a quarter hours maybe, not brilliant, but he did it.
Come on what was your time ??????
3:04, Dundee, 1985. I don't see that as a great thing to have done,just a very stupid way of abusing my body. Someone mentioned 10k, my favourite distance, and one which doesn't require months of training and days of recuperation.

Once again, sorry for pissing folk off.
A difference of opinion doesn't constitute pissing folk off. And as Laxman said you are very modest about your achievement, must be all that Dundee Cake. Not suprised you thought Joe's 3.15 marathon was nothing special :disshame:

clashrocker
Sightsee MC

Post by clashrocker »

Total urban myth. Joe jumped into the fray a mile from the finish and took credit for running a marathon. He actually only covered one mile in three hours time.

appleseed
Dirty Punk

Post by appleseed »

This may have been posted last August, but if not it's a link to one blogger's attempt to answer whether or not Joe ran that Paris marathon.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/did-t ... src=mobile

appleseed
Dirty Punk

Post by appleseed »

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Apparantly Joe was a talented natural athlete and did well in athletics / cross country at school. Whilst he may not have trained and been unfit for the Paris marathon this would have gone a long way to getting him round as it showed when he ran London in 4:13.

daveddd111
Corner Soul

Post by daveddd111 »

Pretty good considering he probably smoked like a train at the time...among other things