Joe Strummer and Horace Andy

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35292
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Joe Strummer and Horace Andy

Post by Marky Dread » 01 Nov 2011, 10:31pm

Flex wrote:If it's Hellcat/Epitaph doing the box, they could just get the the Pogues cuts licensed from Warner or whoever. It's not particularly unusual.

I'd just like to get as much as I can. Live material, wilderness-years releases (hopefully remixed and) remastered, previously unreleased studio material, whatever. And whatever happened to those pre-101ers recordings that surfaced a couple years back? I remember they were being prepped for release but I don't think it ever happened.
Is this Flaming Youth or Vultures tracks? What pre 101ers stuff do you speak of o' wise Flexmaster.
Image
Image

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25002
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Joe Strummer and Horace Andy

Post by Flex » 02 Nov 2011, 12:01am

Marky Dread wrote:Is this Flaming Youth or Vultures tracks? What pre 101ers stuff do you speak of o' wise Flexmaster.
Yeah, the Vultures: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/3917169.stm

The first part was of Bumble-Bee Blues was played on some bbc documentary or another. The full version of that and the instrumental track would seem to be pretty key pieces to put on any box set.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35292
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Joe Strummer and Horace Andy

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Nov 2011, 2:23am

Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:Is this Flaming Youth or Vultures tracks? What pre 101ers stuff do you speak of o' wise Flexmaster.
Yeah, the Vultures: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/3917169.stm

The first part was of Bumble-Bee Blues was played on some bbc documentary or another. The full version of that and the instrumental track would seem to be pretty key pieces to put on any box set.
Ahh yes I had forgotten all about that. I agree this would indeed be a key piece of a forthcoming box set.
Image
Image

Chuck Mangione
User avatar
Spitting Image
Posts: 6531
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 10:45pm
Location: Up your boulevard.
Contact:

Re: Joe Strummer and Horace Andy

Post by Chuck Mangione » 05 Nov 2011, 4:48pm

Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:Is this Flaming Youth or Vultures tracks? What pre 101ers stuff do you speak of o' wise Flexmaster.
Yeah, the Vultures: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/3917169.stm

The first part was of Bumble-Bee Blues was played on some bbc documentary or another. The full version of that and the instrumental track would seem to be pretty key pieces to put on any box set.
Ahh yes I had forgotten all about that. I agree this would indeed be a key piece of a forthcoming box set.
I agree, it should definitely be on the anthology set. Someone should contact the organizer for the Hellcat compilation to see if it's possible to get them on there.

And wasn't Bumble-Bee Blues played in Viva Joe Strummer in the part where Tymon was talking about how he first taught Joe how to play guitar (I may be mixing this up with that simple Indian folk tune, you'll see what I'm talking about if you watch the part I'm talking about)? Or I think it was in TFIU where Joe talks about the Vultures being kicked out and pelted with beer bottles after barely playing a few numbers. I think it was in that one actually, 'cause I remember seeing the song in the credits of TFIU and wondering why it wasn't on the soundtrack for the film.

Vimmattu
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 840
Joined: 28 Jun 2008, 3:04pm
Location: 2nd Avenue, Chicken Vindaloo

Re: Joe Strummer and Horace Andy

Post by Vimmattu » 06 Nov 2011, 9:15am

Viva Joe Strummer has Tymon singing that native american / trad. tune. Something about rain IIRC.

Chuck Mangione
User avatar
Spitting Image
Posts: 6531
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 10:45pm
Location: Up your boulevard.
Contact:

Re: Joe Strummer and Horace Andy

Post by Chuck Mangione » 06 Nov 2011, 3:12pm

Vimmattu wrote:Viva Joe Strummer has Tymon singing that native american / trad. tune. Something about rain IIRC.
Yeah, that's it. I remembered it was about rain too.

modskin
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2747
Joined: 18 Jun 2008, 11:12am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Joe Strummer and Horace Andy

Post by modskin » 16 Nov 2011, 5:58pm

Unrelated to Joe, but related to Horace Andy...

There's a Horace Andy LP called "At Wackies" that you folks need to get now-ish. So goddamn good.

Recorded in the Wackies label studio in the Bronx, NYC. The first reggae studio and label in the USA.
Image

appleseed
User avatar
Dirty Punk
Posts: 119
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 9:53am

Re: Joe Strummer and Horace Andy

Post by appleseed » 12 Dec 2011, 11:49pm

Chuck Mangione wrote:I would love to hear anything from the alleged nine hours of studio work recorded for the never released When Pigs Fly soundtrack project, mentioned in The Future Is Unwritten film.
Yes! I was just tonight thinking about that alleged nine hours. A pristine version of the leaked OST itself would be a beautiful treasure, too.

ericblowtorch
Corner Soul
Posts: 4
Joined: 17 Jul 2017, 10:52am

Re: Joe Strummer and Horace Andy

Post by ericblowtorch » 17 Jul 2017, 11:01am


Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35292
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Joe Strummer and Horace Andy

Post by Marky Dread » 17 Jul 2017, 11:40am

ericblowtorch wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 11:01am
It has finally come true:
http://straighttohell.flipswitchpr.com/ ... h/pu/21490
Nice version.
Image
Image

ericblowtorch
Corner Soul
Posts: 4
Joined: 17 Jul 2017, 10:52am

Re: Joe Strummer and Horace Andy

Post by ericblowtorch » 17 Jul 2017, 11:53am

Thanks, Marky. We worked long and hard to get it right.

Chuck Mangione
User avatar
Spitting Image
Posts: 6531
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 10:45pm
Location: Up your boulevard.
Contact:

Re: Joe Strummer and Horace Andy

Post by Chuck Mangione » 17 Jul 2017, 5:46pm

ericblowtorch wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 11:01am
It has finally come true:
http://straighttohell.flipswitchpr.com/ ... h/pu/21490
Really dug this.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests