Strummservations

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Strummservations

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Earthquake Weather was a rock album by a man who had no interest in rock music any more, but who, due to his circumstances and the music scene he felt no part of, lacked the courage of his convictions to make the folk music where his heart clearly lay.
A+
I was talking to Kaleb about the Mescaleros when the thought struck me and he pointed out the best songs from that era (your Cholo Vests, Punk Rock Blues, Island Hoppings etc.) are basically folk songs, in the Johnny Appleseed vein.
Shouting Street is pretty good, he sounds invested in that. I think a shortage of tunes was the big problem. Most of that album is like wading through mashed banana.
I don't really like Shouting Street as it is on the album, but I can hear where a good song might one day have grown.
Agreed. I hate the production on that album but though SS could have made a decent Clash song.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

I think Earthquake Weather had enough songs to be an 8/10, but the tracklist needed to be changed (insert every B-side, delete "Boogie") and it needed a completely different mix.

I actually think magic could be done with that album if it was dramatically remastered using the original multitracks or whatever you call it. Unfortunately the market for it is all of 10 people.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

101Walterton wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote: A+
I was talking to Kaleb about the Mescaleros when the thought struck me and he pointed out the best songs from that era (your Cholo Vests, Punk Rock Blues, Island Hoppings etc.) are basically folk songs, in the Johnny Appleseed vein.
Shouting Street is pretty good, he sounds invested in that. I think a shortage of tunes was the big problem. Most of that album is like wading through mashed banana.
I don't really like Shouting Street as it is on the album, but I can hear where a good song might one day have grown.
Agreed. I hate the production on that album but though SS could have made a decent Clash song.
Does anyone know offhand if there's any alleged recordings of the 5-man lineup playing it live? Or has that not been confirmed? I don't know, BMC is down.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Chuck Mangione wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote: I was talking to Kaleb about the Mescaleros when the thought struck me and he pointed out the best songs from that era (your Cholo Vests, Punk Rock Blues, Island Hoppings etc.) are basically folk songs, in the Johnny Appleseed vein.
Does anyone know offhand if there's any alleged recordings of the 5-man lineup playing it live? Or has that not been confirmed? I don't know, BMC is down.
Nope. Sometime around their dissolution there was some kind of announcement as it being the next single which still seems suspicious as CTC was still fresh.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Earthquake Weather was a rock album by a man who had no interest in rock music any more, but who, due to his circumstances and the music scene he felt no part of, lacked the courage of his convictions to make the folk music where his heart clearly lay.
A+
The EW version is ok, but the live ones from 1988 are a lot better.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Chuck Mangione wrote: I don't know, BMC is down.
Also, BMC is back: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/77994754/site/index.html
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

matedog wrote:
Oh yeah that's right.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

matedog wrote:
Whew, thx.

Re: EW, Joe's delivery on the 1st words of the album ("Let's rock again") doesn't sound very convincing and sets the tone for the album.

esteemantis
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by esteemantis »

daredevil wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote: A+
The EW version is ok, but the live ones from 1988 are a lot better.
BR16ADE_R055E wrote: Re: EW, Joe's delivery on the 1st words of the album ("Let's rock again") doesn't sound very convincing and sets the tone for the album.
no interest in rock music is good way of putting it. uninspired at least, sounds like he didn't really believe in rock or didn't feel a part of it at the time. yeah BR16ADE, "let's rock again" does not sound convincing and though he wrestles free every once in a while, I think it pretty much sets the tone for the album as well... :disshame:

he was good to slow SS down with the reggae thing like he did on the rock art tour.
made a nice set opener. agree 88 live sound worked well even with Zander's Schlossing.

Appleseed grew his audience - bad pun intended I guess. I saw several friends who were really "meh" about Rock Art really dig the folky sound of Global and were onboard through 'til Streetcore.

Dylan found a good band sound and stage persona around the same time with Love and Theft.
Conan: Did you like the Clash?
John: No. Isn't that good enough? No, no, no.
Conan: Oh Come on, elaborate. Why, did you guys think you were trying to do different things?
John: Well, their kind of songwriting really was just a few quotes from Karl Marx around a merry little melody.
Conan: With a driving back beat that just wouldn't quit!

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

esteemantis wrote:Appleseed grew his audience - bad pun intended I guess. I saw several friends who were really "meh" about Rock Art really dig the folky sound of Global and were onboard through 'til Streetcore.
I agree. Rock Art was awesome mainly because of the "Yes! Joe's doing stuff again!" euphoria after so many years of frustrating silence and even more frustrating rumors of stuff never materializing. But I wouldn't say that album got much echo-effect listens from me. Gratifying, absolutely. But I'm not sure I was ever totally sold on it.

Global, the second I heard Appleseed, it was lot "Goddamn...he's back! ALL...THE...WAY. This is really happening." And not just in a back-to-past sense, but the realization that he'd found his 21st century muse and was doing exciting new stuff that was thoroughly Joe to the core. I must've put that track on 6 times in a row that first day I tore open the shrinkwrap on the album, and sustained that listening pace for months. Maybe not totally gone with it at a CK level like when he temporarily wiped all the content of the CCS site with a "BUY THIS RECORD!!6!" missive on the homepage in 80 pt. type, followed by a 30,000-word tantra-ejaculation onscreen. But pretty far gone with it nonetheless.

I'll acknowledge Streetcore as in many ways a superior album that despite its unfinished state showed Joe and the group settling into a serious groove. But nothing's going to top that feeling of digging into Global and getting happy feet for months on end over "OMG! He's finally nailed it!"

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Joe Strummer mention 1:10
[youtube][/youtube]

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Interestingly, the subtitles picked up Joe Strummer as "just rubber."

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote: Shouting Street is pretty good, he sounds invested in that. I think a shortage of tunes was the big problem. Most of that album is like wading through mashed banana.
Nope. Sometime around their dissolution there was some kind of announcement as it being the next single which still seems suspicious as CTC was still fresh.
I'm sure I read or heard an iterview where Joe said something about how himself and Paul were thinking along the lines of doing some 50's sounding rockabilly and SS was mentioned. Maybe I dreamt it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

I see the TED Talk logo in that video, so I guess I hate The Clash now.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Woody Mellor (or 101ers Joe) must have heard this:
[youtube][/youtube]