Strummservations

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Re: Strummservations

Post by CorwoodRep »

I don't have headphones. How is that different from all the other Bo Diddley songs that are virtually identical?

I mean, I love Bo Diddley, but come on.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Just kind of the way he garbles out "Mississipi!" reminds me of Strummer's type of shouting.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Latino Rockabilly War make so much sense in theory, in the cartoonist, four-colour way that Joe saw the world. The time was absolutely right for a back to basics band that used instruments and recording techniques from the 1940s. Being retro rock 'n' roll with world music would have been really punk as the Stone Roses got their first album out and BAD headed towards acid house. But the execution didn't work out, because of Joe's lack of confidence, which lead to writer's block making the songs feel forced and overlaboured. And also, because he picked musicians beneath him (Zander "Dross" Schloss) which I think also came from the lack of confidence but also so he could kind of be the boss, and not come up against a talented Mick Jones' opposing ideas.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:Latino Rockabilly War make so much sense in theory, in the cartoonist, four-colour way that Joe saw the world. The time was absolutely right for a back to basics band that used instruments and recording techniques from the 1940s. Being retro rock 'n' roll with world music would have been really punk as the Stone Roses got their first album out and BAD headed towards acid house. But the execution didn't work out, because of Joe's lack of confidence, which lead to writer's block making the songs feel forced and overlaboured. And also, because he picked musicians beneath him (Zander "Dross" Schloss) which I think also came from the lack of confidence but also so he could kind of be the boss, and not come up against a talented Mick Jones' opposing ideas.
Those EW songs are too cluttered and they can't musically make their mind up to be Bruce Sprinsteen/Johhny Cash or Eddie Cochran. All are great individually but not all at once. A stripped back rockabilly sound and a few less words and there is a good album in there.

Love Kills and the Trash City singles were great if only EW had the same vibe.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

There's something to that album. I still think there is. It's such a weird album, a schizophrenic, Alex Cox-y look at LA and Americana. It plays like a B-movie, where I'm continually impressed by various turns of phrase or moments but it still feels cartoony, strange, low budget. There aren't a whole lot of albums like it and I'm glad it exists. It's like reading a 17 year old's diary if he ran away from home and hitchhiked to California to become a dishwasher. It's confused, stupid, a victim of sensory overload--and somewhere along the line, as time passes, I think it becomes more than the some of its parts.

I don't even come to this opinion out of Clash fandom per se. It doesn't really register as a Joe Strummer album. It registers as an album by an over-enthused English expat in LA who watched Repo Man.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kaleb wrote:There's something to that album. I still think there is. It's such a weird album, a schizophrenic, Alex Cox-y look at LA and Americana. It plays like a B-movie, where I'm continually impressed by various turns of phrase or moments but it still feels cartoony, strange, low budget. There aren't a whole lot of albums like it and I'm glad it exists. It's like reading a 17 year old's diary if he ran away from home and hitchhiked to California to become a dishwasher. It's confused, stupid, a victim of sensory overload--and somewhere along the line, as time passes, I think it becomes more than the some of its parts.

I don't even come to this opinion out of Clash fandom per se. It doesn't really register as a Joe Strummer album. It registers as an album by an over-enthused English expat in LA who watched Repo Man.
I think Strummer had a pretty good world view. But on EW he really wants to be a cowboy and gives us this skewed vision of Americana which occasionally works but for the most part comes out as a mess. It's almost like he frightened of being Joe Strummer and is trying so hard to be a version of himself.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

I agree, and that's part of what intrigues me about it. His heart is so on his sleeve, even when he's posturing.

12XU
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by 12XU »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Strummer

this page needs to be changed,makes it look like Joe was still recording in 2004. :angry:
The Clash England`s Finest.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

I'd have loved a studio version of Strummer singing Love of the Common People.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:I'd have loved a studio version of Strummer singing Love of the Common People.
Here, let Paul Young tide you over. :yuck:
[youtube][/youtube]
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:I'd have loved a studio version of Strummer singing Love of the Common People.
Here, let Paul Young tide you over. :yuck:
[youtube][/youtube]
I love Joe's continual distancing from this version every time he introduced the song.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:I'd have loved a studio version of Strummer singing Pulp's Common People.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

I don't know if I dreamt this or misremembered how the Irish one sounded like or what, but is there a version of In the Pouring Rain that isn't the muddy Irish one with the flute and that isn't CTC era live? The one I'm talking about (if it exists) was very acoustic and folky. I swear it was on youtube. This site also talks about at the bottom. http://alldylan.com/rare-track-in-the-p ... the-clash/

"…and it was recorded again at Rockfield Studios near Monmouth, Wales (27-30/4/1993) with Danny Thompson (bass) and Terry Williams (drums)"

Not sure if that's the version I heard.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

One thing that embiggens my spirit: Joe's positivity increase over the last decade of his life.

Wilderness Years
Joe Strummer wrote:Nobody ever really thinks about you when you're gone...
Mescaleros Era
Joe Strummer wrote:You know you cast a long shadow on the ground...
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:One thing that embiggens my spirit: Joe's positivity increase over the last decade of his life.

Wilderness Years
Joe Strummer wrote:Nobody ever really thinks about you when you're gone...
Mescaleros Era
Joe Strummer wrote:You know you cast a long shadow on the ground...
Very nicely spotted Wolt. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia