Strummservations

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: Strummservations

Post by Inder »

Alyssa
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Alyssa »

I just wanna say...I saw Joe's Tele (well two of them actually, the iconic Ignore Alien Orders one and then another) at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a couple of weeks ago, and it was way more of an emotional experience than I expected. I thought I was going to see the bass from the cover of London Calling, and then my bf, who was ahead of me in the display, goes "aww they don't have the bass, but they have Joe Strummer's guitar, is that ok?" and I just broke down and started to cry. Seeing it in person was just indescribable. I have idolized that guitar since I was 16, and now I've been inches from it, and seen all the wear and tear from all the music that shaped my life. Just...wow. Thought I would share that. I did, however, pull myself together enough to take a quick photo with it. Also note Joe's sugnlasses above the Tele!
Attachments
Joe Strummer Tele.jpg
Joe Strummer Tele.jpg (134.36 KiB) Viewed 5706 times

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Alyssa wrote:I just wanna say...I saw Joe's Tele (well two of them actually, the iconic Ignore Alien Orders one and then another) at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a couple of weeks ago, and it was way more of an emotional experience than I expected. I thought I was going to see the bass from the cover of London Calling, and then my bf, who was ahead of me in the display, goes "aww they don't have the bass, but they have Joe Strummer's guitar, is that ok?" and I just broke down and started to cry. Seeing it in person was just indescribable. I have idolized that guitar since I was 16, and now I've been inches from it, and seen all the wear and tear from all the music that shaped my life. Just...wow. Thought I would share that. I did, however, pull myself together enough to take a quick photo with it. Also note Joe's sugnlasses above the Tele!
:cool:
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I can totally understand the emotion that would be involved Nice pic.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Brilliant.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Great pic, Alyssa. And I totally get it.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Alyssa wrote:I just wanna say...I saw Joe's Tele (well two of them actually, the iconic Ignore Alien Orders one and then another) at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a couple of weeks ago, and it was way more of an emotional experience than I expected. I thought I was going to see the bass from the cover of London Calling, and then my bf, who was ahead of me in the display, goes "aww they don't have the bass, but they have Joe Strummer's guitar, is that ok?" and I just broke down and started to cry. Seeing it in person was just indescribable. I have idolized that guitar since I was 16, and now I've been inches from it, and seen all the wear and tear from all the music that shaped my life. Just...wow. Thought I would share that. I did, however, pull myself together enough to take a quick photo with it. Also note Joe's sugnlasses above the Tele!
Thanks for sharing Alyssa. It's sad to me that it's now behind glass as that guitar played on some fine music and a lot of blood, sweat and tears and probaly a awful lot of spit are ingrained in it. I wish it was handed down like a baton to someone in the next generation. That guitar should be out every night being chucked around and making a clang clang.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Alyssa
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Alyssa »

Marky Dread wrote:
Thanks for sharing Alyssa. It's sad to me that it's now behind glass as that guitar played on some fine music and a lot of blood, sweat and tears and probaly a awful lot of spit are ingrained in it. I wish it was handed down like a baton to someone in the next generation. That guitar should be out every night being chucked around and making a clang clang.
Yeah, I think that's part of what made me so emotional. It was just very sad to see something that had so much life in it and around it be displayed as a static object behind glass. It would have helped to have a screen playing some Clash or something...It's great that fans can come and see it, but it's so weird to think of Joe's guitar as an accessioned piece of a museum collection. One of the docents mentioned to me that they had to take it down for conservation because one of the stickers was starting to peel. I had to laugh at that, because that was the whole point of that Tele...Joe let it deteriorate organically without really controlling how it looked aside from adding stickers now and then. And now the HoF is conserving it to stay looking as it looked in 2002 forever. It definitely has a feel of stasis, and would benefit from being plugged in and played in again, I think!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Alyssa wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Yeah, I think that's part of what made me so emotional. It was just very sad to see something that had so much life in it and around it be displayed as a static object behind glass. It would have helped to have a screen playing some Clash or something...It's great that fans can come and see it, but it's so weird to think of Joe's guitar as an accessioned piece of a museum collection. One of the docents mentioned to me that they had to take it down for conservation because one of the stickers was starting to peel. I had to laugh at that, because that was the whole point of that Tele...Joe let it deteriorate organically without really controlling how it looked aside from adding stickers now and then. And now the HoF is conserving it to stay looking as it looked in 2002 forever. It definitely has a feel of stasis, and would benefit from being plugged in and played in again, I think!
I can appreciate the sentiment but cannot imagine anyone else playing this guitar, just wouldn't seem right. I applaud the family for letting it stay in the HoF, thought it was only there on loan, but would be nice if they gave it a more prominent display, not much imagination went into it from the looks of things.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
Alyssa wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I can appreciate the sentiment but cannot imagine anyone else playing this guitar, just wouldn't seem right. I applaud the family for letting it stay in the HoF, thought it was only there on loan, but would be nice if they gave it a more prominent display, not much imagination went into it from the looks of things.
You can get pretty decent replicas of it already. Nah I like the idea of someone else playing it and chucking it around and I think Joe would've too. It wasn't something to be precious about it was a tool a working living breathing thing and now it's like a caged bird.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Double post.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 04 Jun 2015, 11:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Alyssa wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
You can get pretty decent replicas of it already. Nah I like the idea of someone else playing it and chucking it around and I think Joe would've too. It wasn't something to be precious about it was a tool a working living breathing thing and now it's like a caged bird.
Yes maybe i am too precious about it. Still i cant quite shake off the nightmare image of flicking onto X Factor some night and seeing some chump with a very familiar telecaster slung over his shoulder!

Alyssa
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Alyssa »

I just got the weirdest feeling when the docent said they had to do conservation work on it. Imagine some conservator, wearing a lab coat and gloves, carefully re-sticking the corner of the Ignore Alien Orders sticker! Ok, that's pretty much my dream job...

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Alyssa wrote:I just got the weirdest feeling when the docent said they had to do conservation work on it. Imagine some conservator, wearing a lab coat and gloves, carefully re-sticking the corner of the Ignore Alien Orders sticker! Ok, that's pretty much my dream job...
:mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Alyssa wrote:I just got the weirdest feeling when the docent said they had to do conservation work on it. Imagine some conservator, wearing a lab coat and gloves, carefully re-sticking the corner of the Ignore Alien Orders sticker! Ok, that's pretty much my dream job...
Probably needed to tear more of that sticker off to make it seem authentic. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia