Without People You're Nothing

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: Without People You're Nothing

Post by laxman »

Permanent Record, The Norris sessions and When Pigs Fly are getting the most play from me, but I'm loving all of it. Nothin' Bout Nothin' and Cholo Vest are personal favourites already, so Permanent Record is number 1 in the most plays, but Wreckage in the Ravine is a brilliant lost album. Thanks again Marky.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 12:53pm
Permanent Record, The Norris sessions and When Pigs Fly are getting the most play from me, but I'm loving all of it. Nothin' Bout Nothin' and Cholo Vest are personal favourites already, so Permanent Record is number 1 in the most plays, but Wreckage in the Ravine is a brilliant lost album. Thanks again Marky.
A pleasure mate. 👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TrashCityRocker
Dirty Punk

Post by TrashCityRocker »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 1:25pm
laxman wrote:
A pleasure mate. 👍
I just noticed the end of Cholo Vest on disc 2 fades into "When you're gone" twice. I'm wondering if you added this Marky or was that how the song originally ended?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TrashCityRocker wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 4:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:
A pleasure mate. 👍
I just noticed the end of Cholo Vest on disc 2 fades into "When you're gone" twice. I'm wondering if you added this Marky or was that how the song originally ended?
Both is the answer. The original vinyl has it but very very low in the fade. I thought it was too good a touch to be so low in the mix. So I extracted the vocal the re inserted it into the mix louder. I like it and well spotted.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TrashCityRocker
Dirty Punk

Post by TrashCityRocker »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 4:37pm
TrashCityRocker wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:
A pleasure mate. 👍
Both is the answer. The original vinyl has it but very very low in the fade. I thought it was too good a touch to be so low in the mix. So I extracted the vocal the re inserted it into the mix louder. I like it and well spotted.
Your original remix/remaster of the PR Soundtrack & Outtakes has "When your gone" completely intact without repeating, but the source used for that master sounded muffled/muddy (just for Cholo Vest). This RE-Re master is a major improvement, and as noted, "When you're gone" repeats twice. For a minute I thought my computer was tripping :lol:

What you did on "When Pigs Fly" is amazing too. By reducing, if not, eliminating the tape hiss and bringing out the low-end. Giving the master a clean, crisp sound. Your mastering skills really do pump life back into these songs. Thanks.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TrashCityRocker wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 4:54pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 4:37pm
TrashCityRocker wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:
A pleasure mate. 👍
Your original remix/remaster of the PR Soundtrack & Outtakes has "When your gone" completely intact without repeating, but the source used for that master sounded muffled/muddy (just for Cholo Vest). This RE-Re master is a major improvement, and as noted, "When you're gone" repeats twice. For a minute I thought my computer was tripping :lol:

What you did on "When Pigs Fly" is amazing too. By reducing, if not, eliminating the tape hiss and bringing out the low-end. Giving the master a clean, crisp sound. Your mastering skills really do pump life back into these songs. Thanks.
I listen to everything through headphones and then through speakers and make lots of different mixes to each individual track. I then choose which I think sounds best to my ears and then I re work it to get the best balance and overall sound without distortion and definitely no brickwalling.

Some of the Instrumentals had little bits of drop out so I painstakingly took milliseconds from the same pattern further along in the track and replaced the missing or damaged segments. Seriously it's a lot of work but nothing ever gets uploaded if I'm not satisfied it's the very best it can be at the time of mixing.

The opening guitar intro to "Rabies (From the Dogs of Love) was remixed higher to give the track more oomph. This is what doing a remaster should be. Improving on the original or it's pretty pointless.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

ohsoso
Dirty Punk

Post by ohsoso »

thanks marky! i got more than i was pushing for (like the boom n bust and tunnel of love).
super stoked about when pigs fly with better audio. also, i'ts a cool movie. sara driver was partner with jim jarmusch, she also directed sleepwalk, dunno if there is a connection to the song.
and the wreckage in the ravine is just fab to have as separate tracks. but i guess theres more work than that in there, the reverb/echo on strummers dialogue was starting to get boring. but this is really cool stuff, some tracks are better than on x-ray style. don't really enjoy acid-punk but there's some interesting stuff for sure - like strummer vocals/lyrics and dubs.
it seems i've totally missed out on the streetcore instrumentals before. but these blew me away. really a bridge between global a go-go and streetcore. where are these from?
such a treat. thanks, been hoping for this to happen for long!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

ohsoso wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 5:33pm
thanks marky! i got more than i was pushing for (like the boom n bust and tunnel of love).
super stoked about when pigs fly with better audio. also, i'ts a cool movie. sara driver was partner with jim jarmusch, she also directed sleepwalk, dunno if there is a connection to the song.
and the wreckage in the ravine is just fab to have as separate tracks. but i guess theres more work than that in there, the reverb/echo on strummers dialogue was starting to get boring. but this is really cool stuff, some tracks are better than on x-ray style. don't really enjoy acid-punk but there's some interesting stuff for sure - like strummer vocals/lyrics and dubs.
it seems i've totally missed out on the streetcore instrumentals before. but these blew me away. really a bridge between global a go-go and streetcore. where are these from?
such a treat. thanks, been hoping for this to happen for long!
None of us have heard the Streetcore demos previously and I'm not at liberty to say where they come from. Just be glad we have them. I'm pleased you're liking it.😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Marky, I assume it's not feasible or else you'd have done it, but I can't shake the thought -- is there any hope to isolating the vocal from the live Dakar and setting it over the studio instrumental track? No idea what audio software is capable nowadays.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

msza2 wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 6:29pm
Marky, I assume it's not feasible or else you'd have done it, but I can't shake the thought -- is there any hope to isolating the vocal from the live Dakar and setting it over the studio instrumental track? No idea what audio software is capable nowadays.
It might be possible but the vocal extraction from a live recording sat back into a studio recording would sound very thin. Also extraction softwares as good as they are do not get a totally clean extraction from live recordings they leave artifacts to be heard. So for example it would pick up pieces of other instrumentation and crowd noise.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 6:52pm
msza2 wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 6:29pm
It might be possible but the vocal extraction from a live recording sat back into a studio recording would sound very thin. Also extraction softwares as good as they are do not get a totally clean extraction from live recordings they leave artifacts to be heard. So for example it would pick up pieces of other instrumentation and crowd noise.
Thanks. I'd assume tempo variance could also be an issue. It's really too bad they didn't get it down.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

It's interesting to take the Instrumentalcore tracklist and swap in the vocal tracks we do have. That seems to be the absolute closest one can get to the original concept for Streetcore. Fantastic and London is Burning can be used to get a sense for where Joe left it, too.

Equaliser
Dirty Punk

Post by Equaliser »

Road tested your new Strummer box set during a long road trip for the recent US holiday to rave reviews. While playing the Latino Rockabilly War live CD I noticed you did not include the BAD covers (V-13 and Sightsee MC)? Was this due to recording quality issues? I really love his versions of those songs.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Equaliser wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 1:27pm
Road tested your new Strummer box set during a long road trip for the recent US holiday to rave reviews. While playing the Latino Rockabilly War live CD I noticed you did not include the BAD covers (V-13 and Sightsee MC)? Was this due to recording quality issues? I really love his versions of those songs.
I did answer this question further up the thread. I wanted to make a longer compilation of LRW stuff. However nothing else matches the quality of the tracks used. Hence the LRW disc is just a bonus.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Equaliser
Dirty Punk

Post by Equaliser »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 2:28pm
Equaliser wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 1:27pm
I did answer this question further up the thread. I wanted to make a longer compilation of LRW stuff. However nothing else matches the quality of the tracks used. Hence the LRW disc is just a bonus.
Sorry for the repeat question! Thanks!