Joe Strummer doc on BBC Radio 2 on Sat 18 Oct 08

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
nigeyb
Corner Soul

Joe Strummer doc on BBC Radio 2 on Sat 18 Oct 08

Post by nigeyb »

Hot on the heels of the excellent Topper interview comes a documentary on Radio 2 on Saturday about Joe Strummer.

Joe Strummer's Last Recorded Concert

Saturday 18 October

1900 - 2000

Mark Radcliffe presents an intimate portrait of Joe Strummer, one of the most iconic figures of the last 30 years.

Radcliffe was at Strummer’s last-recorded stage performance and he conducted possibly the last ever interview committed to tape, capturing a snapshot of Strummer's life just months before his untimely death.

This programme does not re-tell The Clash story, but instead presents the thoughts, words and music of a man who, 17 years after The Clash had disbanded, was as vibrant, creative and outspoken as ever.

Mark Radcliffe’s candid exchange with Strummer weaves around some of the tracks from Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros' 2002 set at the Cambridge Folk Festival.

Anecdotes and reminiscences come from Billy Bragg, band member Scott Shields and biographer David Quantick.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/musicclub/d ... mmer.shtml

Should be well worth a listen.

nigeyb wrote:Interesting interview with Topper.

Nearly a quarter of a century after it stopped recording, the Clash still excites interest. And this week, there's a fresh round of new product in the form of the concert album "Live at Shea Stadium," the DVD "The Clash Live -- Revolution Rock" and a lavish book, "The Clash by the Clash."

All are handsome and enjoyable. However, former Clash drummer Topper Headon was somewhat ambivalent about the continued expansion of the band's original six-album catalog when he agreed to go down memory lane. Though friendly, he pulled no punches about his feelings that the new releases possibly sully the legend of an ensemble whose high ideals for many made them "The only band that matters".

Read it here.....
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1003871261
THE WORLD OF JOY..."adding to the sum total of human happiness"

My top 6 artists from the last seven days, and what I'm listening to right now....

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Joe Strummer doc on BBC Radio 2 on Sat 18 Oct 08

Post by Heston »

nigeyb wrote:Hot on the heels of the excellent Topper interview comes a documentary on Radio 2 on Saturday about Joe Strummer.

Joe Strummer's Last Recorded Concert

Saturday 18 October

1900 - 2000

Mark Radcliffe presents an intimate portrait of Joe Strummer, one of the most iconic figures of the last 30 years.

Radcliffe was at Strummer’s last-recorded stage performance and he conducted possibly the last ever interview committed to tape, capturing a snapshot of Strummer's life just months before his untimely death.

This programme does not re-tell The Clash story, but instead presents the thoughts, words and music of a man who, 17 years after The Clash had disbanded, was as vibrant, creative and outspoken as ever.

Mark Radcliffe’s candid exchange with Strummer weaves around some of the tracks from Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros' 2002 set at the Cambridge Folk Festival.

Anecdotes and reminiscences come from Billy Bragg, band member Scott Shields and biographer David Quantick.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/musicclub/d ... mmer.shtml

Should be well worth a listen.

nigeyb wrote:Interesting interview with Topper.

Nearly a quarter of a century after it stopped recording, the Clash still excites interest. And this week, there's a fresh round of new product in the form of the concert album "Live at Shea Stadium," the DVD "The Clash Live -- Revolution Rock" and a lavish book, "The Clash by the Clash."

All are handsome and enjoyable. However, former Clash drummer Topper Headon was somewhat ambivalent about the continued expansion of the band's original six-album catalog when he agreed to go down memory lane. Though friendly, he pulled no punches about his feelings that the new releases possibly sully the legend of an ensemble whose high ideals for many made them "The only band that matters".

Read it here.....
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1003871261
I've already got this set to record. A lot of people in the UK complain about the licence fee, but stations like Radio 2 and 6Music (not to mention BBC4) are excellent and undervalued.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Hey Heston I'm working that day and it's no use asking the missus to record it for me so any chance of a copy when you get it please mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:Hey Heston I'm working that day and it's no use asking the missus to record it for me so any chance of a copy when you get it please mate.
No probs Marky, consider it done.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

nigeyb
Corner Soul

Post by nigeyb »

Personally I reckon the licence fee is good value if only for BBC4, 6music, BBC2, BBC Radio 4 and the websites*

What's the best way of recording straight from the BBC website to MP3? I'm a Mac user if that makes a difference.

Or will you be uploading it Marky Dread?

*That said I spend all my spare time working through the five box sets of The Wire at the moment. :cool:

My top 6 artists from the last seven days, and what I'm listening to right now....

Heston

Post by Heston »

nigeyb wrote:Personally I reckon the licence fee is good value if only for BBC4, 6music, BBC2, BBC Radio 4 and the websites*

What's the best way of recording straight from the BBC website to MP3? I'm a Mac user if that makes a difference.

Or will you be uploading it Marky Dread?

*That said I spend all my spare time working through the five box sets of The Wire at the moment. :cool:
I use FREE Hi-Q recorder to record from websites. It's simple to use and obviously free.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:Hey Heston I'm working that day and it's no use asking the missus to record it for me so any chance of a copy when you get it please mate.
No probs Marky, consider it done.
You're a gent cheers mate. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

nigeyb
Corner Soul

Post by nigeyb »

Hey, this is great eh?

Some of the best live Mescaleroes stuff I've ever heard - and Joe was on great form during the interview. :smile:

marbles

Post by marbles »

Here it is, recorded off the net thanks to the excellent freecorder firefox plug-in.

http://www.mediafire.com/?imznzmwmxnd

Heston

Post by Heston »

Thanks Marbles!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Yeah cheers marbles.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

nigeyb
Corner Soul

Post by nigeyb »

Well done Marbles.

If anyone has a high(ish) bitrate version of this I would love to know.

I'm gonna checkout that Firefox freecorder n all. :cool: