Strummer Deep Cuts

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Re: Strummer Deep Cuts

Post by daredevil »

Cholo Vest

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

daredevil wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 10:52am
Cholo Vest
:cool:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

chocolatejesus
Dirty Punk

Post by chocolatejesus »

Burning streets (streetcore Ver.)and at the Border guy are on my mixtape for long night time car journeys and will stay there until the end of May days.

Everything about Global a Go Go is insanely good. X-ray has brilliant moments but i think the production is a little powerless

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Sleepwalk off Earthquake Weather - sublime, fantastic track with, for me, a sort of Combat Rock-era/soundtrack vibe.
I love the tex-mex acoustic guitar flavour on a lot of Joe's solo stuff.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

The Road to Rock 'n' Roll

And if you don't believe in good and evil / you can tell the devil why

There's a mirror in your soul / you should point it to the sky

Leave a little light in the wilderness / for somebody to come upon

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

drowninghere wrote:
23 Dec 2017, 12:00am
The Road to Rock 'n' Roll

And if you don't believe in good and evil / you can tell the devil why

There's a mirror in your soul / you should point it to the sky

Leave a little light in the wilderness / for somebody to come upon
There’s a lot of wreckage in the ravine / some you’ll recognise

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Road to rock and roll is a very good lyric, just wish I could like the song more. Hopefully it’s just another slow burner for me like the now rather splendid Techno D Day.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
24 Dec 2017, 10:41am
Road to rock and roll is a very good lyric, just wish I could like the song more. Hopefully it’s just another slow burner for me like the now rather splendid Techno D Day.
I think the album as a whole is a bit lacking in melody. Was good to have Joe back but I was a bit underwhelmed. I do love "Sandpaper Blues" though.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
24 Dec 2017, 10:43am
Low Down Low wrote:
24 Dec 2017, 10:41am
I think the album as a whole is a bit lacking in melody. Was good to have Joe back but I was a bit underwhelmed. I do love "Sandpaper Blues" though.
I do think Joe was moving beyond straightforward melody in his latter years though. “Music for grown ups,” was a phrase I remember him using himself, whatever exactly he meant by that. I wouldn’t describe Global as being overly “melodic” either, but regard it as no less a masterpiece for that.

Rock Art does have 3 epic tracks on it - Yalla, TA, FWTC as well as several that are merely very good. For me it was as good if not better than I’d dared to hope.

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Listened to Rock Art for the first time in a long time yesterday - my favourites were always X-Ray, Yalla and WTC (and those have remained in regular rotation with me, so to speak) but I was struck my how strong the album was as a whole.

In particular, TA (at 6 min 30 s!), Sandpaper Blues and X-Ray is a remarkably assured, confident beginning - a bit of a miracle really after 10 years off and relative to any expectations set by Permanent Record or EW. Techno has always been my least favourite (sort of an embarrassing lyric) but it rocked pretty well and is fairly fun if you don't take it too seriously. Also good to hear Nitcomb again (I remember when CK compared it to Radiohead and wondering just what it might sound like), 'love buys a six-pack and hands it to the bums' has to be one of Joe's best moments, and Digging the New ('boy, tran or girl'') seems somehow better now than it did then.

All told - an unbelievable comeback for me. Global was more of a band album, way more cohesive, way more Joe stylistically, but - for me at least - also had a fair amount more fat around the edges (even though it is still my fave of the 3). Anyways, the beginning of a stretch that no one could have seen coming, which made it all the more special for that very fact.