My son and the passing on of music

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
WestwayKid
User avatar
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 184
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am

Re: My son and the passing on of music

Post by WestwayKid » 27 Sep 2017, 7:57pm

My parents listened to a lot of country and singer-songwriter type stuff when I was a kid. I was born in 1977 and I think it was their "reaction" against stuff like disco. They've never been that into music. I get it from my uncle and my cousin - both now gone - but both who led me to a curiosity about music that quickly grew into a passion.

I would never tell my son (or my daughter) they "need" to like a particular type of music or a particular band or performer. I don't think I'd turn them off at this age - they're still young - but that isn't the point for me. I want them to explore. I want them to hear sounds that catch in their brains. I want them to be curious and who knows - they might not even like music as much as I do.

I really hope they do, however! :)

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71112
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: My son and the passing on of music

Post by Dr. Medulla » 27 Sep 2017, 8:10pm

How would you people with demon spawn respond to them listening to stuff that you find disconcerting? Not so long ago, I was listening to Big Black's "Kerosene," which I love—it captures so much of my adolescent anxiety and frustration—but thought that I'd be a bit wigged out if my kid was listening to it. But if not a punk nihilism, perhaps sexist or racist music—what, if anything, would you do?
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7371
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: My son and the passing on of music

Post by Kory » 27 Sep 2017, 8:24pm

101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 4:39pm
50.5W "Dad can you turn your music down its too loud and I am trying to study organic chemistry".
Me "I can't hear you music is too loud".
50.5W haha TURN IT DOWN".
Me "what the hell is organic chemistry?"
I like this.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14807
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: My son and the passing on of music

Post by 101Walterton » 27 Sep 2017, 9:13pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 8:10pm
How would you people with demon spawn respond to them listening to stuff that you find disconcerting? Not so long ago, I was listening to Big Black's "Kerosene," which I love—it captures so much of my adolescent anxiety and frustration—but thought that I'd be a bit wigged out if my kid was listening to it. But if not a punk nihilism, perhaps sexist or racist music—what, if anything, would you do?
As long as they are listening to music I won't criticise what they listen to.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14807
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: My son and the passing on of music

Post by 101Walterton » 27 Sep 2017, 9:14pm

Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 8:24pm
101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 4:39pm
50.5W "Dad can you turn your music down its too loud and I am trying to study organic chemistry".
Me "I can't hear you music is too loud".
50.5W haha TURN IT DOWN".
Me "what the hell is organic chemistry?"
I like this.
😊 My life summed up in one post!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49234
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: My son and the passing on of music

Post by Wolter » 27 Sep 2017, 10:32pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 8:10pm
How would you people with demon spawn respond to them listening to stuff that you find disconcerting? Not so long ago, I was listening to Big Black's "Kerosene," which I love—it captures so much of my adolescent anxiety and frustration—but thought that I'd be a bit wigged out if my kid was listening to it. But if not a punk nihilism, perhaps sexist or racist music—what, if anything, would you do?
I ask myself this sometimes, especially given that Jackson is on the spectrum and could very easily take something more ethically...questionable...at face value. I mean, right now he's only partially verbal, so maybe it's a bridge I don't cross ever? But if I do, I'm not sure what I'll say or do.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
User avatar
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 184
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am

Re: My son and the passing on of music

Post by WestwayKid » 28 Sep 2017, 6:57am

What's funny is that I've often thought what could be more extreme than what has already been produced? There was an "escalation" in popular music where things got faster and louder and the words became more edgy. We've created black metal, thrash, hardcore, and on and on. I guess I feel like it would be hard for me to be shocked. That said, there are certain things I would not be happy with if my kids became fans: anything racist, sexist, and so on - any music that furthered hate and intolerance - I would not be cool with that. Just not sure what I would do. It would not be played in my house.

My older cousin - the one who got me hooked on music - had parents who were very fun, very open minded. They grew up in a time before rock, but they were genuinely interested in what their son listened to and they took it with a grain of salt - EXCEPT for the track "Religion" off of the first PIL album. My great aunt got real angry when that song was played and forbade my cousin from ever playing it again in the house!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15374
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: My son and the passing on of music

Post by JennyB » 28 Sep 2017, 12:12pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 8:10pm
How would you people with demon spawn respond to them listening to stuff that you find disconcerting? Not so long ago, I was listening to Big Black's "Kerosene," which I love—it captures so much of my adolescent anxiety and frustration—but thought that I'd be a bit wigged out if my kid was listening to it. But if not a punk nihilism, perhaps sexist or racist music—what, if anything, would you do?
That's a good question. I remember a few years back when some of Ari's friends' parents went absolutely ballistic about that "Shut Up And Dance" song (which Ari loved for awhile). I was of the opinion they needed to get a life, and I honestly don't care about language. He's very into the Violent Femmes right now, and a lot obviously goes over his head. Their self-titled album, if taken on face value, is pretty damn disturbing though (I often joke that if Gordon Gano didn't have his band, he would be a serial killer). I guess I will have to cross that bridge when it comes.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26094
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: My son and the passing on of music

Post by Heston » 28 Sep 2017, 1:56pm

JennyB wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 12:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 8:10pm
How would you people with demon spawn respond to them listening to stuff that you find disconcerting? Not so long ago, I was listening to Big Black's "Kerosene," which I love—it captures so much of my adolescent anxiety and frustration—but thought that I'd be a bit wigged out if my kid was listening to it. But if not a punk nihilism, perhaps sexist or racist music—what, if anything, would you do?
That's a good question. I remember a few years back when some of Ari's friends' parents went absolutely ballistic about that "Shut Up And Dance" song (which Ari loved for awhile). I was of the opinion they needed to get a life, and I honestly don't care about language. He's very into the Violent Femmes right now, and a lot obviously goes over his head. Their self-titled album, if taken on face value, is pretty damn disturbing though (I often joke that if Gordon Gano didn't have his band, he would be a serial killer). I guess I will have to cross that bridge when it comes.
What's wrong with Shut Up and Dance? Me and my daughter like it but I never realised there was bad language in it.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15374
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: My son and the passing on of music

Post by JennyB » 28 Sep 2017, 2:03pm

Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 1:56pm
JennyB wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 12:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 8:10pm
How would you people with demon spawn respond to them listening to stuff that you find disconcerting? Not so long ago, I was listening to Big Black's "Kerosene," which I love—it captures so much of my adolescent anxiety and frustration—but thought that I'd be a bit wigged out if my kid was listening to it. But if not a punk nihilism, perhaps sexist or racist music—what, if anything, would you do?
That's a good question. I remember a few years back when some of Ari's friends' parents went absolutely ballistic about that "Shut Up And Dance" song (which Ari loved for awhile). I was of the opinion they needed to get a life, and I honestly don't care about language. He's very into the Violent Femmes right now, and a lot obviously goes over his head. Their self-titled album, if taken on face value, is pretty damn disturbing though (I often joke that if Gordon Gano didn't have his band, he would be a serial killer). I guess I will have to cross that bridge when it comes.
What's wrong with Shut Up and Dance? Me and my daughter like it but I never realised there was bad language in it.
A lot of pearl clutchers (at least in the US) think the phrase "shut up" is inappropriate for children.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26094
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: My son and the passing on of music

Post by Heston » 28 Sep 2017, 2:04pm

JennyB wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 2:03pm
Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 1:56pm
JennyB wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 12:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 8:10pm
How would you people with demon spawn respond to them listening to stuff that you find disconcerting? Not so long ago, I was listening to Big Black's "Kerosene," which I love—it captures so much of my adolescent anxiety and frustration—but thought that I'd be a bit wigged out if my kid was listening to it. But if not a punk nihilism, perhaps sexist or racist music—what, if anything, would you do?
That's a good question. I remember a few years back when some of Ari's friends' parents went absolutely ballistic about that "Shut Up And Dance" song (which Ari loved for awhile). I was of the opinion they needed to get a life, and I honestly don't care about language. He's very into the Violent Femmes right now, and a lot obviously goes over his head. Their self-titled album, if taken on face value, is pretty damn disturbing though (I often joke that if Gordon Gano didn't have his band, he would be a serial killer). I guess I will have to cross that bridge when it comes.
What's wrong with Shut Up and Dance? Me and my daughter like it but I never realised there was bad language in it.
A lot of pearl clutchers (at least in the US) think the phrase "shut up" is inappropriate for children.
You are fucking kidding me.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15374
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: My son and the passing on of music

Post by JennyB » 28 Sep 2017, 2:38pm

Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 2:04pm
JennyB wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 2:03pm
Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 1:56pm
JennyB wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 12:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 8:10pm
How would you people with demon spawn respond to them listening to stuff that you find disconcerting? Not so long ago, I was listening to Big Black's "Kerosene," which I love—it captures so much of my adolescent anxiety and frustration—but thought that I'd be a bit wigged out if my kid was listening to it. But if not a punk nihilism, perhaps sexist or racist music—what, if anything, would you do?
That's a good question. I remember a few years back when some of Ari's friends' parents went absolutely ballistic about that "Shut Up And Dance" song (which Ari loved for awhile). I was of the opinion they needed to get a life, and I honestly don't care about language. He's very into the Violent Femmes right now, and a lot obviously goes over his head. Their self-titled album, if taken on face value, is pretty damn disturbing though (I often joke that if Gordon Gano didn't have his band, he would be a serial killer). I guess I will have to cross that bridge when it comes.
What's wrong with Shut Up and Dance? Me and my daughter like it but I never realised there was bad language in it.
A lot of pearl clutchers (at least in the US) think the phrase "shut up" is inappropriate for children.
You are fucking kidding me.
Nope.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7371
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: My son and the passing on of music

Post by Kory » 28 Sep 2017, 2:41pm

JennyB wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 2:38pm
Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 2:04pm
JennyB wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 2:03pm
Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 1:56pm
JennyB wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 12:12pm


That's a good question. I remember a few years back when some of Ari's friends' parents went absolutely ballistic about that "Shut Up And Dance" song (which Ari loved for awhile). I was of the opinion they needed to get a life, and I honestly don't care about language. He's very into the Violent Femmes right now, and a lot obviously goes over his head. Their self-titled album, if taken on face value, is pretty damn disturbing though (I often joke that if Gordon Gano didn't have his band, he would be a serial killer). I guess I will have to cross that bridge when it comes.
What's wrong with Shut Up and Dance? Me and my daughter like it but I never realised there was bad language in it.
A lot of pearl clutchers (at least in the US) think the phrase "shut up" is inappropriate for children.
You are fucking kidding me.
Nope.
I always got the impression it's because they think it's rude, and specifically, they don't want their kids saying it to adults.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15374
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: My son and the passing on of music

Post by JennyB » 28 Sep 2017, 2:56pm

Kory wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 2:41pm
JennyB wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 2:38pm
Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 2:04pm
JennyB wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 2:03pm
Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 1:56pm


What's wrong with Shut Up and Dance? Me and my daughter like it but I never realised there was bad language in it.
A lot of pearl clutchers (at least in the US) think the phrase "shut up" is inappropriate for children.
You are fucking kidding me.
Nope.
I always got the impression it's because they think it's rude, and specifically, they don't want their kids saying it to adults.
Tomato tomahto
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26094
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: My son and the passing on of music

Post by Heston » 28 Sep 2017, 3:55pm

Kory wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 2:41pm
JennyB wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 2:38pm
Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 2:04pm
JennyB wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 2:03pm
Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 1:56pm


What's wrong with Shut Up and Dance? Me and my daughter like it but I never realised there was bad language in it.
A lot of pearl clutchers (at least in the US) think the phrase "shut up" is inappropriate for children.
You are fucking kidding me.
Nope.
I always got the impression it's because they think it's rude, and specifically, they don't want their kids saying it to adults.
They need to get a life. They probably deserve their children telling them to shut the fuck up.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests