My son and the passing on of music

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: My son and the passing on of music

Post by WestwayKid »

My parents listened to a lot of country and singer-songwriter type stuff when I was a kid. I was born in 1977 and I think it was their "reaction" against stuff like disco. They've never been that into music. I get it from my uncle and my cousin - both now gone - but both who led me to a curiosity about music that quickly grew into a passion.

I would never tell my son (or my daughter) they "need" to like a particular type of music or a particular band or performer. I don't think I'd turn them off at this age - they're still young - but that isn't the point for me. I want them to explore. I want them to hear sounds that catch in their brains. I want them to be curious and who knows - they might not even like music as much as I do.

I really hope they do, however! :)
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

How would you people with demon spawn respond to them listening to stuff that you find disconcerting? Not so long ago, I was listening to Big Black's "Kerosene," which I love—it captures so much of my adolescent anxiety and frustration—but thought that I'd be a bit wigged out if my kid was listening to it. But if not a punk nihilism, perhaps sexist or racist music—what, if anything, would you do?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 4:39pm
50.5W "Dad can you turn your music down its too loud and I am trying to study organic chemistry".
Me "I can't hear you music is too loud".
50.5W haha TURN IT DOWN".
Me "what the hell is organic chemistry?"
I like this.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 8:10pm
How would you people with demon spawn respond to them listening to stuff that you find disconcerting? Not so long ago, I was listening to Big Black's "Kerosene," which I love—it captures so much of my adolescent anxiety and frustration—but thought that I'd be a bit wigged out if my kid was listening to it. But if not a punk nihilism, perhaps sexist or racist music—what, if anything, would you do?
As long as they are listening to music I won't criticise what they listen to.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 8:24pm
101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 4:39pm
50.5W "Dad can you turn your music down its too loud and I am trying to study organic chemistry".
Me "I can't hear you music is too loud".
50.5W haha TURN IT DOWN".
Me "what the hell is organic chemistry?"
I like this.
😊 My life summed up in one post!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I ask myself this sometimes, especially given that Jackson is on the spectrum and could very easily take something more ethically...questionable...at face value. I mean, right now he's only partially verbal, so maybe it's a bridge I don't cross ever? But if I do, I'm not sure what I'll say or do.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

What's funny is that I've often thought what could be more extreme than what has already been produced? There was an "escalation" in popular music where things got faster and louder and the words became more edgy. We've created black metal, thrash, hardcore, and on and on. I guess I feel like it would be hard for me to be shocked. That said, there are certain things I would not be happy with if my kids became fans: anything racist, sexist, and so on - any music that furthered hate and intolerance - I would not be cool with that. Just not sure what I would do. It would not be played in my house.

My older cousin - the one who got me hooked on music - had parents who were very fun, very open minded. They grew up in a time before rock, but they were genuinely interested in what their son listened to and they took it with a grain of salt - EXCEPT for the track "Religion" off of the first PIL album. My great aunt got real angry when that song was played and forbade my cousin from ever playing it again in the house!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
That's a good question. I remember a few years back when some of Ari's friends' parents went absolutely ballistic about that "Shut Up And Dance" song (which Ari loved for awhile). I was of the opinion they needed to get a life, and I honestly don't care about language. He's very into the Violent Femmes right now, and a lot obviously goes over his head. Their self-titled album, if taken on face value, is pretty damn disturbing though (I often joke that if Gordon Gano didn't have his band, he would be a serial killer). I guess I will have to cross that bridge when it comes.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

JennyB wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 12:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That's a good question. I remember a few years back when some of Ari's friends' parents went absolutely ballistic about that "Shut Up And Dance" song (which Ari loved for awhile). I was of the opinion they needed to get a life, and I honestly don't care about language. He's very into the Violent Femmes right now, and a lot obviously goes over his head. Their self-titled album, if taken on face value, is pretty damn disturbing though (I often joke that if Gordon Gano didn't have his band, he would be a serial killer). I guess I will have to cross that bridge when it comes.
What's wrong with Shut Up and Dance? Me and my daughter like it but I never realised there was bad language in it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 1:56pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
What's wrong with Shut Up and Dance? Me and my daughter like it but I never realised there was bad language in it.
A lot of pearl clutchers (at least in the US) think the phrase "shut up" is inappropriate for children.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Heston

Post by Heston »

JennyB wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 2:03pm
Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A lot of pearl clutchers (at least in the US) think the phrase "shut up" is inappropriate for children.
You are fucking kidding me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 2:04pm
JennyB wrote:
Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Nope.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 2:38pm
Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Nope.
I always got the impression it's because they think it's rude, and specifically, they don't want their kids saying it to adults.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 2:41pm
JennyB wrote:
Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Heston wrote:

Nope.
I always got the impression it's because they think it's rude, and specifically, they don't want their kids saying it to adults.
Tomato tomahto
Got a Rake? Sure!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 2:41pm
JennyB wrote:
Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Heston wrote:

Nope.
They need to get a life. They probably deserve their children telling them to shut the fuck up.