My son and the passing on of music

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

My son and the passing on of music

Post by WestwayKid »

Little story from last night. My son is 7. He's a lot like me in many ways. His mom and I are divorced and we split custody of my son and my daughter 50/50.

I've loved music for as long as I can remember. I loved it before I could understand it. Guess it was just supposed to be the passion of my life.

I had an older cousin who turned me on to a lot of music I would not have heard as a suburban kid growing up in the late 80's in Wisconsin: Husker Du, The Smiths, The Clash, and so many more. He never "told" me what I should listen to. He would play a lot of different things and let me "discover" what I liked and from there he would offer suggestions for other bands of the same ilk, but it was really a process of personal musical self discovery.

I'm trying to raise my kids the same way. I play them a lot of music - mostly in the car, but sometimes we'll play videos on YouTube. I can already see my son's musical interest growing and developing.

I didn't have them this past weekend (we swap weekends back and forth) and so I did not see him from Friday morning until Tuesday afternoon. We get home - me from work and them from school and everyone just takes 30 minutes to relax. My son tells me that he wants to play a song for me - a song that he really likes and a song that reminds him of me and a song that was "stuck" in his head all weekend.

I had him the remote and he fires up YouTube and proceeds to play Joe's "Coma Girl" - which I had played for him recently. Made me proud!

Anyway, just a little story - but I love the idea of passing down songs from generation to generation. That means they never die. I have no idea where my son's musical interests will settle, but I hope one of the bands he picks up on and carries with him through his life will be the good ole' Clash!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: My son and the passing on of music

Post by Heston »

I have an 11 year old daughter and though she likes her own music (and demands it in the car), she always has a good singalong when the Clash come on. She sang along with Should I Stay every time it was featured in Stranger Things.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 10:51am
Little story from last night. My son is 7. He's a lot like me in many ways. His mom and I are divorced and we split custody of my son and my daughter 50/50.

I've loved music for as long as I can remember. I loved it before I could understand it. Guess it was just supposed to be the passion of my life.

I had an older cousin who turned me on to a lot of music I would not have heard as a suburban kid growing up in the late 80's in Wisconsin: Husker Du, The Smiths, The Clash, and so many more. He never "told" me what I should listen to. He would play a lot of different things and let me "discover" what I liked and from there he would offer suggestions for other bands of the same ilk, but it was really a process of personal musical self discovery.

I'm trying to raise my kids the same way. I play them a lot of music - mostly in the car, but sometimes we'll play videos on YouTube. I can already see my son's musical interest growing and developing.

I didn't have them this past weekend (we swap weekends back and forth) and so I did not see him from Friday morning until Tuesday afternoon. We get home - me from work and them from school and everyone just takes 30 minutes to relax. My son tells me that he wants to play a song for me - a song that he really likes and a song that reminds him of me and a song that was "stuck" in his head all weekend.

I had him the remote and he fires up YouTube and proceeds to play Joe's "Coma Girl" - which I had played for him recently. Made me proud!

Anyway, just a little story - but I love the idea of passing down songs from generation to generation. That means they never die. I have no idea where my son's musical interests will settle, but I hope one of the bands he picks up on and carries with him through his life will be the good ole' Clash!
Very cool. You are doing it right! I like to expose my 8 year old son to my kind of music too (my husband has very questionable taste). He's seen Blondie and the Violent Femmes in concert, and I am taking him to see the Pixies in a couple of weeks. He loves the Clash, Violent Femmes, Blondie, Ramones, Depeche Mode and David Bowie. In fact, last weekend, Peter Schilling's "Major Tom" was playing on the radio and he asked me if it was about Bowie. I'm sure when he gets older I will lose my sway with him and he will rebel by starting to listen to my husband's music or something, but so far, so good.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I was brought up in a house that always had music of some sort playing and I guess that rubbed off on and me as my house is the same.
Interestingly as a kid I don't think it matters what music is playing and it doesn't necessarily influence what music you like when you are older just that you have an ear for and interest in music.
My mum listenened to singers like Jack Jones and Gladys Knight plus a lot of musical soundtracks (Hair, Joseph, Evita etc). My Dad listened to a lot of Jazz and classical. On top of that my mum was a piano teacher and sang in amateur operettas so we often had Gilbert and Sullivan or worse real Opera ( which I hate).
My older brother also listened to Bowie, Alice Cooper, Elton John but as soon as I was old enough I found my music in the Pistols et al.
I guess what I am saying is music is a habit or way of life that can be taught but taste is individual?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 2:51pm
Very cool. You are doing it right! I like to expose my 8 year old son to my kind of music too (my husband has very questionable taste). He's seen Blondie and the Violent Femmes in concert, and I am taking him to see the Pixies in a couple of weeks. He loves the Clash, Violent Femmes, Blondie, Ramones, Depeche Mode and David Bowie. In fact, last weekend, Peter Schilling's "Major Tom" was playing on the radio and he asked me if it was about Bowie. I'm sure when he gets older I will lose my sway with him and he will rebel by starting to listen to my husband's music or something, but so far, so good.
Leading to you and Ari being part of an Amber Alert as you drive furiously away from Jortsville.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

If lil baby gurl doesn't grow up loving Springsteen outtakes, I'll be sorely disappointed.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:18pm
JennyB wrote:
Leading to you and Ari being part of an Amber Alert as you drive furiously away from Jortsville.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thankfully, I have been training him well. They were in the basement the other day and Scott said to Ari, "I'm going to put a record on." Ari replied, "make sure it's one of mommy's."
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Thankfully, I have been training him well. They were in the basement the other day and Scott said to Ari, "I'm going to put a record on." Ari replied, "make sure it's one of mommy's."
"Face!" And then you strut out of the room.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:37pm
JennyB wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
That's exactly what happend. Seriously! I pointed at him when I said face, but other than that, it was exactly what happened.
Got a Rake? Sure!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

50.5W "Dad can you turn your music down its too loud and I am trying to study organic chemistry".
Me "I can't hear you music is too loud".
50.5W haha TURN IT DOWN".
Me "what the hell is organic chemistry?"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 4:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That's exactly what happend. Seriously! I pointed at him when I said face, but other than that, it was exactly what happened.
Facing is the greatest thing Xers ever came up with.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 4:46pm
JennyB wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 4:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Facing is the greatest thing Xers ever came up with.
Totally. And misanthropy. But face more.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I give thanks every day that my parents weren't Clash fans because I then would automatically have had to hate them.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Low Down Low wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 5:26pm
I give thanks every day that my parents weren't Clash fans because I then would automatically have had to hate them.
But surely you've come to hate them organically on your own :mrgreen:
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Like some others, my son (23 years old) grew up listening to the Clash, Ramones, Specials, Sly & Robbie, etc. He especially loved Rockaway Beach. As he grew, he developed his own taste, which runs along rap/hip-hop like many of his peers. His taste in rap is good as he doesn't deal with the poseurs of gangster/materialistic/misogynist rap. He recognizes, and likes the Clash et al. although it's not his first choice. All told, he respects the Clash, Ramones, Gang of Four even though they're not "his" music and will listen/enjoy when they're playing. After all, that music is ~40 years old.