London is Burning

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
msza2
Junco Partner

London is Burning

Post by msza2 »

Anyone have the audio of this they can upload somehow, someway? Also looking for Guitar Slinger Man.

I remember hearing both many years ago but have not been able to find them in recent years.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Re: London is Burning

Post by daredevil »

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Thanks daredevil! Man, I haven't heard that in about 10 years.

It's very . . . CtC :scared: . I have to think it was a rough demo at this point. Shields and Slattery did a wonderful job finishing the album.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

You're welcome!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

msza2 wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 9:07pm

It's very . . . CtC :scared: . I have to think it was a rough demo at this point. Shields and Slattery did a wonderful job finishing the album.
Have to be honest and say I was very disappointed with the finished Get Down Moses after being blown away by the live versions. 15 years on I'm still at the stage where I desperately want to like that album more than I do. I dont bear any fault for those guys, though, because I simply dont know what they were working with at the time, it was a tough gig regardless.

As for GSM, I'm sure there's a recording out there somewhere but haven't heard it.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Low Down Low wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 8:20am
msza2 wrote:

Have to be honest and say I was very disappointed with the finished Get Down Moses after being blown away by the live versions. 15 years on I'm still at the stage where I desperately want to like that album more than I do. I dont bear any fault for those guys, though, because I simply dont know what they were working with at the time, it was a tough gig regardless.

As for GSM, I'm sure there's a recording out there somewhere but haven't heard it.
Interesting -- I adore the studio version of GDM, and all of Streetcore for that matter. That said, in an alternate world I wish they had finished all the material they had -- Dakar, Guitar Slinger Man, something called Steady America, apparently? -- and brought in another singer for them. Mick, Paul, Topper, Tyman, Mikey Dread, Jimmy Cliff, hell, Tim Armstrong. Whoever.

I think I've heard Guitar Slinger Man on a very poor audience recording. I remember it being kinda slow and meandering, and not very surfy to my ears, despite being billed as such.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

msza2 wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 10:02am
Low Down Low wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 8:20am
msza2 wrote:

Interesting -- I adore the studio version of GDM, and all of Streetcore for that matter. That said, in an alternate world I wish they had finished all the material they had -- Dakar, Guitar Slinger Man, something called Steady America, apparently? -- and brought in another singer for them. Mick, Paul, Topper, Tyman, Mikey Dread, Jimmy Cliff, hell, Tim Armstrong. Whoever.

I think I've heard Guitar Slinger Man on a very poor audience recording. I remember it being kinda slow and meandering, and not very surfy to my ears, despite being billed as such.
I'm not sure I can go with the alternative vocalist angle, lead vocalist anyway, it was still a Strummer record and had to stay that way, regardless of whatever material had been laid down. I do often wonder what type of album it might have been had Joe lived to see it through. It had to follow the sheer brilliance of Global and was obviously intended to be a very different type of record.

From memory I think there's a good sounding version of Guitar Slinger on one of the Tokyo shows,, but its a while since I listened to it and kind of forget how it goes. Must try and root it out because its a very good show.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

My favorite GDM is still the first version I heard, St. Anne's, April 1.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Slickgonzalez
Dirty Punk

Post by Slickgonzalez »

Here's the only version of Guitar Slinger Man that I know of...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvqshqrau4nx8 ... 9.mp3?dl=0

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Slickgonzalez wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 1:26pm

Thanks slick! I had forgotten how much of a banger it was. Did you clean up the audio at all? Sounds better than I remember it.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Low Down Low wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 11:18am

I'm not sure I can go with the alternative vocalist angle, lead vocalist anyway, it was still a Strummer record and had to stay that way, regardless of whatever material had been laid down. I do often wonder what type of album it might have been had Joe lived to see it through. It had to follow the sheer brilliance of Global and was obviously intended to be a very different type of record.

From memory I think there's a good sounding version of Guitar Slinger on one of the Tokyo shows,, but its a while since I listened to it and kind of forget how it goes. Must try and root it out because its a very good show.
Yeah, putting those songs on the actual record might have been too much. But I wish they had finished them up with another singer and released them somewhere. The Meskies (sans Joe) were a great band and it's a shame some of their work remains unreleased.

Slickgonzalez
Dirty Punk

Post by Slickgonzalez »

msza2 wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 10:09pm
Slickgonzalez wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 1:26pm

Thanks slick! I had forgotten how much of a banger it was. Did you clean up the audio at all? Sounds better than I remember it.
No, this is straight from the Generations bootleg, actually. I'd love to get my hands on a lossless version of this song if anyone has this show!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

daredevil wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 7:41pm
Hello,

Did this ever get a proper release?

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

gkbill wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 5:18pm
daredevil wrote:
Hello,

Nope. One would assume it'll see the light on a rarities comp eventually. I'd love to hear all the unfinished tidbits from the Streetcore sessions.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

msza2 wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 7:25pm
gkbill wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 5:18pm
daredevil wrote:
Hello,

Nope. One would assume it'll see the light on a rarities comp eventually. I'd love to hear all the unfinished tidbits from the Streetcore sessions.
Damn, I've never heard this before. What an excellent version.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc